ECU and key - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-28-2004, 1:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

ECU and key

Hi there,

As i live in the UK, my bike is fitted with a HISS system......
The bad news is that I have lost my remaining working key (long story.)
I have run out of options getting it back on the road, so I am now in a position where i pay mr honda lots of money for a new ecu and lock set.
I do have a key cut for my locks, but i didn't get around to getting it reprogrammed to the hiss system.

I run a UK based honda forum (you may know a few of us), and it has been suggested that I contact you boys for some help. Do you know whether a US or Canadian ECU would work and utilise the european loom. If it does, then it may be a lot cheaper alternative to get the ecu over your side of the pond.

Any ideas ??

Andy_scouser
forum.honda-forums.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-29-2004, 12:21 AM
vma

Re: ECU and key

Get your bike´s WIN number and go with that to your local dealer/service shop. They´ll get you a new key that will work just fine. (They´ll get you a new key and it will be sort of "programmed" to fit your bike).

Simple as that.

Last edited by vma; 03-29-2004 at 12:21 AM. Reason: -
post #3 of 21 Old 03-29-2004, 12:27 AM

I just got a key done for my bike from my local Honda shop,they gave me a black to get cut then it was a simple job for them to program the key to the bike,if you have all the ownership details your local should be able to help you out.It literally took 10 mins to set up the new key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-29-2004, 7:03 AM Thread Starter

I have just phoned Honda UK... they assure me that this can not be done, and they will only sell me a new ECU and lock set for 1000ukp, thats about 1800USD. ..... no chance I say.

Might split the bike and just keep my NC30
Thank you very much anyway
post #5 of 21 Old 03-29-2004, 7:28 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Andy might not have explained about HISS - Hond Integrated Security System that we have on Euroland bikes.

The bike's keys are embedded with chips which "talk" to the matched ECU. Basically an immobiliser. No key and the bike won't start. Keys are not "progreammable". So if you lose your keys then the only way Honda can help is to supply new keys and matched ECU, something like $1000. Ouch.

Andy is hoping that he could buy a non-HISS US or Canadian spec ECU and keys.

Last edited by Proto; 03-29-2004 at 7:30 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-29-2004, 7:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Proto, on the button there...its 1000 uk pounds !!!!

Honda UK, suggest I talk to Honda in america for advice, but I think ill just get another 'run around' telephone trail.

If anybody can help out, I would REALLY appreciate it, as I am fast losing interest in the bike.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-30-2004, 12:28 AM
vma

If you loose a key, and get a new one, it can be reprogrammed.
Honda dealerships should have a knowledge how to do that. I don´t know though if Honda UK has/wants to do it.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-30-2004, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto
Andy might not have explained about HISS - Hond Integrated Security System that we have on Euroland bikes.

The bike's keys are embedded with chips which "talk" to the matched ECU. Basically an immobiliser. No key and the bike won't start. Keys are not "progreammable". So if you lose your keys then the only way Honda can help is to supply new keys and matched ECU, something like $1000. Ouch.

Kiwi has the same system, and said that his dealer was able to program the key once it was cut.

And that makes sense, because car dealers do the same thing... My Ford truck and Honda Accord both have "chipped" keys, and they can add new ones by programming them to match the ECU.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-30-2004, 8:26 AM

Reputation Power: 16

My GMC truck carries the same technology and it's key is replaceable I am thinking the individual on the other end is not a true tech wizard on this specific issue however for 1Kuk I am sure that will fix the problem for anyone. Find a good honda tech and see what they say as I am sure dealers have had this issue before and I doubt everytime they loose a set of keys they spend 1800 bucks.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-01-2004, 3:46 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to keep on this one .. but I have a plan, prompted by Proto.

I can get an ecu and wiring loom from a US bike, but does anybody know if this will fit a UK/Euro bike, I know there are loads of differences between the 2 bikes, lights and indicators to name but a few.

I know the US bike doesn't have HISS, but that's the idea of it I presume most of the engine loom will be the same as my power commander is not a us or a euromodel, therefore they should be the same..ignition barrel may be different though, Any ideas ???

Cheers

Andy
post #11 of 21 Old 04-01-2004, 4:04 PM

In every auto I've had to deal with a transponder system, they are programmable. After all, the ECU doesn't have a code to look for until your unique keys have been taught to it. There is definitely a procedure to teach a new transponder signal, They probably don't want to share it since it would ease in defeating the HISS systems.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-01-2004, 4:08 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAce
In every auto I've had to deal with a transponder system, they are programmable. After all, the ECU doesn't have a code to look for until your unique keys have been taught to it. There is definitely a procedure to teach a new transponder signal, They probably don't want to share it since it would ease in defeating the HISS systems.
I am thinking the same thing, but the owners manual says this can only be done as long as you still have one working key/transponder..

My gallery

and do check out Freeloader My sister is the voice
post #13 of 21 Old 04-01-2004, 5:23 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Andy,

I've no idea if this info is useful or not but it may come in handy.

Part numbers: Receiver unit (bit around ignition switch) - all Euroland bikes, Australia 30430-MCJ-305

Equivalent plastic cover without receiver, that replaces above - Brazil, Mexico, Canada etc and probaly the USA 35106-MAT-A00

Which bit the receiver "talks" to, to enable ignition I'm not sure. PGM-FI unit?

5 differnt ones listed. One each for Brazil, France and Germany (probably to do with power restrictions and catalysers on the latter, but with HISS),. Another for UK and Australia (I assume HISS units) and yet another for Mexico, Singapore and Canada (non-HISS). Note that this unit is not common to 954 bikes.

Last edited by Proto; 04-01-2004 at 5:24 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-01-2004, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto

Sounds like the Theft-Lok II on my Camaro
post #15 of 21 Old 04-01-2004, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaOne
Sounds like the Theft-Lok II on my Camaro
Theft loc II isn't a transponder system, It's a resistor embedded in the ignition cylinder that is activated by a set of tumblers by the key. It is a big improvement over Theftloc I which was the black chip in hte key that would wear out over time and cause a no start. There were only like 15 different resistor values for Theftloc I.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page