06 1000rr restore/rebuild
hi guys .....starting a new thread here on the 06 1000 RR that I picked up a few weeks back. I want to start this off by saying that this bike was super rough when I picked it up I knew that it was missing the lights the gauges the fairing and that it needed some work but I had no idea what I was getting myself into I just knew that it was a fire blade in need of love. once I got home and into the garage I quickly realized that this was going to be a long road , longer than any I've traveled in the past with many other bikes .
one of the first things I noticed was that the chain was completely rusted once I got to looking at it I realize that there was a lot of stuff missing. I realized there were no rear sets there were no passenger pegs there was no clutch perch or master cylinder for the clutch there was no headlight harness the wire harness that was there was chopped in half in two separate places down near the shift linkage and up on the side that runs to the primary injectors. The rear brake was hanging with no shoes and the hardware was missing there was no exhaust the header was there. The ignition had been busted into pieces and a toggle switch was in its place, the kill switch seemed to be in one piece, but that was the least of my worries. I noticed that the stator cover was roughed upand I noticed that the radiator was missing the neck and cap and overflow.I could go on and on about things that were missing or broken but I'll spare the forum.
I wasted no time to see how bad she really was internally the first check was the oil which there was none not even a drop.me being me I did not let that deter me, I went onto remove the tank the pair of valve the coils and plugs valve cover excetra to check the valves.I found that they seem fine and assembled everything added some oil and attempted turned her over with cables straight to the starter,just to move some oil around. I then went straight for the phone and ask on the forum for a wire diagram because the 06 seems to be elusive...after a day of soldering and following wireswith my voltage meter I got everything ready to turn over off the switchbut I did not have spark not even a little so I did what another member suggested and ordered a wire harness,the harness ship quick and was here 2 days later in the meantime I stripped the bike I took it down to the bottom end I wanted to make sure it was clean and that the timing was correct when the wire harness arrived I had already fitted a new chain and sprocketand had most of the bike back together i routed the wire harnessand checked for spark. ..no love....after many frustrating hours I found that even with the bank angle sensor jumped the kickstand switch jumped and the neutral switch jumped that I could not get spark until I had fuel in the tank and the rail was pressurized shortly after that she fired...then it was time to buy more goodies I hurried to make it to a local guy that has buildings full of motorcycle parts...
The first dayI ended up with a headlight and rear sets foot pegs some brake hardware a new unbent shift linkage a new caliper for the front passenger side and several other pieces I went ahead put everything together then called it a night
the next day someone responded to an ad I posted on Craigslist saying they had several parts where they had torn their bike down and used the motor for a buggy I got there as quick as I could and bought all the parts that I could they had a whole set of brakes so I now have double they had a headlight so I now have double they had a steering damper now all the rear sets passenger and driver and foot pegs which I now have double they had one of the most important things the gauges and the gauge / headlight harness along with those parts they had an exhaust some heat shielding and some miscellaneous fairing pieces a nose cone and several trim pieces... Once I fitted the gauges and exhaust I fired her up and took her on a test ride the first test ride with it being 30 degrees and late in the evening I hadn't noticed much except that she rode and pretty smooth at that,I parked in the garage and called it a night.
the next morning I come out bundled in long johns and several layers,excited to get a ride in I quickly turned her over and she fired shortly after that she died so I tried to turn her over pop pop pop and then nothing, fouled the plugs.after tearing her down and replacing the plugs she fired up and Idled until warm went for a short trip around the blockpulled back up just to make sure she wasn't spewing anything and all seemed well...
this time around I figured I'd see what she had so went outside on the street and I gave her all that she had she didn't lift up an inch she pulled hard and seems smooth but I thought that can't be right my 929 was a wheelie monster...came back home with her idling sprayed some water on all the down Tubes....all but one evaporated the water instantly cylinder 3... So that's where I'm at now I haven't attempted to look into it yet because of life prior obligations but that's the next step... I thought I'd add to the story that I did get a title with the bike but for some reason the ignition was ransacked and with the bike looked as if it had sit under a tree for a year so it doesn't look like that any longer at this point I need an ignition a windscreen pretty much a full fairing a battery tray a gas lidand a new stator cover and she should be good to go... I know this is a lengthy post,and I use talk to text so I'm sure there's some misspelling and some improper grammar but I just wanted to share...have documented most of the progress through video and have posted it on YouTubebut since it's 2 a.m. New Year's Day I'm going to end the post and I'll post links tomorrow Thanks