06 1000rr restore/rebuild - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-02-2016, 2:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Garage
06 1000rr restore/rebuild

hi guys .....starting a new thread here on the 06 1000 RR that I picked up a few weeks back. I want to start this off by saying that this bike was super rough when I picked it up I knew that it was missing the lights the gauges the fairing and that it needed some work but I had no idea what I was getting myself into I just knew that it was a fire blade in need of love. once I got home and into the garage I quickly realized that this was going to be a long road , longer than any I've traveled in the past with many other bikes .

one of the first things I noticed was that the chain was completely rusted once I got to looking at it I realize that there was a lot of stuff missing. I realized there were no rear sets there were no passenger pegs there was no clutch perch or master cylinder for the clutch there was no headlight harness the wire harness that was there was chopped in half in two separate places down near the shift linkage and up on the side that runs to the primary injectors. The rear brake was hanging with no shoes and the hardware was missing there was no exhaust the header was there. The ignition had been busted into pieces and a toggle switch was in its place, the kill switch seemed to be in one piece, but that was the least of my worries. I noticed that the stator cover was roughed upand I noticed that the radiator was missing the neck and cap and overflow.I could go on and on about things that were missing or broken but I'll spare the forum.

I wasted no time to see how bad she really was internally the first check was the oil which there was none not even a drop.me being me I did not let that deter me, I went onto remove the tank the pair of valve the coils and plugs valve cover excetra to check the valves.I found that they seem fine and assembled everything added some oil and attempted turned her over with cables straight to the starter,just to move some oil around. I then went straight for the phone and ask on the forum for a wire diagram because the 06 seems to be elusive...after a day of soldering and following wireswith my voltage meter I got everything ready to turn over off the switchbut I did not have spark not even a little so I did what another member suggested and ordered a wire harness,the harness ship quick and was here 2 days later in the meantime I stripped the bike I took it down to the bottom end I wanted to make sure it was clean and that the timing was correct when the wire harness arrived I had already fitted a new chain and sprocketand had most of the bike back together i routed the wire harnessand checked for spark. ..no love....after many frustrating hours I found that even with the bank angle sensor jumped the kickstand switch jumped and the neutral switch jumped that I could not get spark until I had fuel in the tank and the rail was pressurized shortly after that she fired...then it was time to buy more goodies I hurried to make it to a local guy that has buildings full of motorcycle parts...

The first dayI ended up with a headlight and rear sets foot pegs some brake hardware a new unbent shift linkage a new caliper for the front passenger side and several other pieces I went ahead put everything together then called it a night

the next day someone responded to an ad I posted on Craigslist saying they had several parts where they had torn their bike down and used the motor for a buggy I got there as quick as I could and bought all the parts that I could they had a whole set of brakes so I now have double they had a headlight so I now have double they had a steering damper now all the rear sets passenger and driver and foot pegs which I now have double they had one of the most important things the gauges and the gauge / headlight harness along with those parts they had an exhaust some heat shielding and some miscellaneous fairing pieces a nose cone and several trim pieces... Once I fitted the gauges and exhaust I fired her up and took her on a test ride the first test ride with it being 30 degrees and late in the evening I hadn't noticed much except that she rode and pretty smooth at that,I parked in the garage and called it a night.

the next morning I come out bundled in long johns and several layers,excited to get a ride in I quickly turned her over and she fired shortly after that she died so I tried to turn her over pop pop pop and then nothing, fouled the plugs.after tearing her down and replacing the plugs she fired up and Idled until warm went for a short trip around the blockpulled back up just to make sure she wasn't spewing anything and all seemed well...

this time around I figured I'd see what she had so went outside on the street and I gave her all that she had she didn't lift up an inch she pulled hard and seems smooth but I thought that can't be right my 929 was a wheelie monster...came back home with her idling sprayed some water on all the down Tubes....all but one evaporated the water instantly cylinder 3... So that's where I'm at now I haven't attempted to look into it yet because of life prior obligations but that's the next step... I thought I'd add to the story that I did get a title with the bike but for some reason the ignition was ransacked and with the bike looked as if it had sit under a tree for a year so it doesn't look like that any longer at this point I need an ignition a windscreen pretty much a full fairing a battery tray a gas lidand a new stator cover and she should be good to go... I know this is a lengthy post,and I use talk to text so I'm sure there's some misspelling and some improper grammar but I just wanted to share...have documented most of the progress through video and have posted it on YouTubebut since it's 2 a.m. New Year's Day I'm going to end the post and I'll post links tomorrow Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-02-2016, 4:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: 06 1000rr restore/rebuild

Sounds like your having fun
post #3 of 23 Old 01-02-2016, 8:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Im definitely having loads of fun. ...

I went out today and did some testing and seem to have cleared up the issue.

First thing i did was cut an injector plug from my old hacked up wire harness and tested the injectors.the injectors seem to all have the same fine mist of fuel which i figured was a good thing and moved on to spark.the plug i had in cylinder 3 was swapped out with a used plug from my spark plug collection. When i fired her up i immediately noticed a difference in the sound of the engine and the idle seemed to be way more smooth and even, and the timing chain noise that was apparent yesterday was suddenly gone.

So i let it warm up and took her out for a short spirited ride.To my surprise the bike still didnt stand up when i chopped the throttle ,but instead repeatedly broke the rear tire free and got sideways!!!i pulled back up to the garage and checked the header for even amounts of heat on each downtube and every downtube evaporated the mist of water instantly.

So it seems that if it wasnt 30 degrees out and i could get some traction on the rear tire im sure it would stand up like i want it to.

While i had the airbox off i went ahead and did my own take on the pair valve mod and just used vacuum caps on the 2 lines on the bottom of the airbox another on the pair solonoid (still plugged in)and another to the valve cover and that seemed to work out just fine in my opinion.

So far the bike has the exhaust and intake flappers removed and the pair valve bypassed.The exhaust thats on the bike is not stock and seems to be a one off home made can of some sort but works fine.

The next step will be to make my own "servo buddy" to get rid of my mil flashing code #34,which is the exhaust servo code.The issue with that is i cant seem to find the proper combination of resistors and capacitors for the 1000rr.ive seen several post for the 929 and 954 but not the 1000rr so if anyone wants to chime in and point me in the right direction, that would help...

Peace

Last edited by rideawheelie; 01-02-2016 at 8:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-07-2016, 8:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Just a little update
Got almost everything together and legit
I built a servo buddy myself and i decided to deal with the light because it does have an effect on the bike even though i was told it would not
When i cold start the bike with it plugged in the bike idles so low it just stumbles and dies im not sure why but i unplugged it for now.I think i may have an iac adjustment issue but idk the manual doesnt have a lot of info and ive done plenty of searching and just cant seem to find any real info on it .

I did get a used set of oem fairings that are not perfect but you have to look closely to see the imperfections.Im now down to the details i need the top bracket the holds the tail down and latches the passenger seat ,need a gas cap and will most likely buy a keyless cap from ebay,need a proper seat right now i have a 929 seat on it just to have something to sit on ,i have yet to find a battery tray thats worth buying oem ignition is on the way got a wind sreen from a buddy for a few bucks so all in all i have very little cash in this monster and its almost complete.
Attached Thumbnails
20160205_165132.jpg‎  
post #5 of 23 Old 02-07-2016, 9:17 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

bloody marvelous! sounds like quite the journey.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 23 Old 02-08-2016, 9:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage

To me riding is only part of the fun....
Ignition is here and ill bolt that up tonight
Still need some odds and ends ,none the less im that much closer
If you look closely you can see my used 5 doller wind screen
And that i removed the passenger peg brackets and moved the rear brake reservoir just clean up the tail section a bit more
Attached Thumbnails
20160207_090033.jpg‎   20160207_090013.jpg‎  
post #7 of 23 Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideawheelie View Post
To me riding is only part of the fun....
Totally agree, I love getting oil under my nails as much as love riding, in fact as I get older I almost like the oily bits even more.

this is my idea of heaven, especially with a big mug of tea and the radio on!

post #8 of 23 Old 02-08-2016, 3:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Totally agree, I love getting oil under my nails as much as love riding, in fact as I get older I almost like the oily bits even more.

this is my idea of heaven, especially with a big mug of tea and the radio on!

couldnt agree more.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #9 of 23 Old 02-08-2016, 6:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Same here...i dont like it when something as simple as remove and replace goes wrong...i removed the hesd today and when i was getting it back in something went wrong and I broke abolt in the hesd bracket which took forever to get out without damage to other components. ...
Boy oh boy

The bolt im pointing at it the new one after the extraction

I have all the videos on YouTube starting with this one and so on

Be warned the first video has lots of cursing
Attached Thumbnails
14549685188821674398877.jpg‎  
post #10 of 23 Old 02-09-2016, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

The HESD sucks anyway. I put a GPR on my 06 1k

2014 Brutale 800
2013 S1000rr
2006 CBR1000RR
2005 Ducati 749s
2005 CBR600F4i (gone)
1993 CBR900RR
post #11 of 23 Old 02-09-2016, 8:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Its a budget rescue...if i had that type of money and it was a bike that i was going to keep id spend some real coin on some nice accessories like that.This is just a bike that i have very little in and want to keep the cost low so i can profit when its time to sale
post #12 of 23 Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Just wanted to add a few things/update the thread

Got my battery tray in the mail today but its about 10 degrees in indiana tonight so im gonna hold off for now also i have my seat coming anyday...i was gonna hack up a 929 seat but i decided against it and posted that on cl locally....

So im nearing the end of the mechanical portion of the rebuild/restore all that i need as of now is a stator case/cover and ill be good....

as for cosmetics its not perfect but the fairing i have is oem and not ebay knockoff...

As soon as I get some extra cash to throw at it i think im gonna do some shorty levers and some new grips
I def need a power commander to cure the super rich condition but thats all in time
post #13 of 23 Old 02-12-2016, 3:26 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
all that i need as of now is a stator case/cover and ill be good....
Honda still sell them, I bought one for my 893 from David Silver for around 45 delivered. Sellers are trying to get that on eBay for a used scratched one.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage

I found a few on ebay new for $40 but not oem and a few oem for about 80 new...im disappointed with the shipping on my seat its been 8 days so far and its still sitting a few states away,not real sure why its taking so long...i ordered another seat latch 4 days after the seat and it arrived yesterday and its twice the distance. ...oh well its been around 10 or 15 degrees around here so its no big deal....

Today is valentine's day so it will be a few more days at the least before i can install my battery tray seat latch and seat anyway but the anticipation is driving me nuts

The weather is supposed to break this weak and the forecast says 58 on friday and Saturday so if everything works out for the best ill have everything in place to ride by then ....FINGERS CROSSED
post #15 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
The weather is supposed to break this weak and the forecast says 58 on friday and Saturday so if everything works out for the best ill have everything in place to ride by then ....FINGERS CROSSED
Weather here in the UK has been a nightmare, we're now into our third month of wet weather, I should have got mine finished about three weeks ago but just haven't had the opportunity, because of the weather. Hopefully March will be better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page