Engine off when Idle after normal ride - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Engine off when Idle after normal ride

hi Guys,

I recently buy used CBR 954 03' (54,000 km), after purchase I replace the oil, coolant, spark, and brake fluid , and over the past few month has been riding the bike without issue,

recently I try to speed up the bike to 6000rpm on gear 2 and 3 (at speed 150km/h), and after that when stopping I play with the throttle up to 7000rpm just to hear the good sound for few second, and when I try to run the bike again at slow speed (20km/h) not long (20sec) after that I start to have problem where the engine will turn off by it self and when I press the engine start the engine will run again but few second after that the engine will turn off again by it self, and then I press the engine start again the engine will start but to keep the engine running while stopping I have to pull the throttle a bit just to maintain the idle rpm, if I don't pull the throttle the engine will turn off again by it self.

I look at the speedometer, the RED light is on (ussualy always on when running) and the only think that is not normal is the temperature, when I stop the temperature will raise high up to 123celcius and when cruising again it will drop back to 90cel but not stable, when cruising at steady speed (40km/h) the temp will go up and down between 90cel ~ 115cel.

after reaching home, I keep the bike off for 1 hour and try to run again the bike at slow speed (40km/h), and everthing seem fine, and then I try to speed again the bike above 100km/h for 2km distance, and the idle issue is happening again with temperature issue as above.

my suspect will be the temperature sensor is faulty, please correct me if I am wrong,

I am base in Jakarta (Indonesia) and its pretty hard to find part for CBR 954. in the next 2 week I will be visiting US (Orlando) and planning to visit bike shop and buy parts that I might require for next few year (sproket, rear wheel hub rubber, oil filter, chain, clutch). I hope someone can help me sort out what is the issue is so I can buy the parts require when visiting the shop.

please also recommend what parts might need to be prepare for 12 year old bike with 54,000 km on the speedometer, seems old but the bike power still strong though.

if any of you have references for good bike parts shop in Orlando, please help to recommend me the name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2016, 1:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 57

Garage
Re: Engine off when Idle after normal ride

Sounds like you have air trapped in the coolant system and that will cause your bike to overheat. Bike coolant temperature should never get to 123C/253F. Fan should come on around 101C/215F. Highest I have ever seen mine on really hot day stopped in traffic is around 104C/220F.

Did you download the service manual and follow it when you changed the coolant? To get trapped air out of the coolant system. With engine cold and radiator cap off start engine. Let it slowly warm up. After a min or so blip the throttle a few times to force any trapped air out of the system. Top off coolant in radiator if needed.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #3 of 7 Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

hi Backdoc, thank you for the advise, just now I follow what you asked me to do, but then I notice again the idle issue is happening again but this time the bike just parked in my garage and I let it run for a few minutes and the engine work fine, after 10min then the engine start to turn off again and the only way I can maintain the engine running is only to hold the throttle to certain opening, if I let go then the engine will off again.

and I look at the temperature, this time the temp not even reaching 100degree Celcius, so my previous suspect is not rite.

can you help to give some input ?

I really need on top of the bike, drive car not fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-05-2016, 1:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 57

Garage

The red (mil - malfunction indicator light) light should not stay on with the bike running. You can download the service manual at www dot stephygee dot com under manuals. Section 5 has instructions for checking the computer for any stored trouble codes. Check for trouble codes then follow the reset procedure to clear them and see if they return when you start the bike.

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Its a black knob on the left side between the frame and engine. Try raising the idle rpm and see if bike still dies.

Next I would check for bad fuel pressure regulator. See video below. Prop rod for gas tank is attached to bottom of seat.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #5 of 7 Old 01-05-2016, 1:41 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

these images may help. the BLACK connector is located under the (front) seat, so you will have to remove it to perform this test:

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 7 Old 01-05-2016, 4:02 PM

I've had a similar issue with a different bike. Turned out to be the vacuum hoses. It acted very similar to the video you posted. There must have been a very small crack somewhere in the lines but after replacing them the problems disappeared.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2016, 8:19 PM Thread Starter

hi Guys, just comeback from out of town, and after working on the radiator, check the valve pressure regulator hose and rework the idle screw adjuster to make my bike idle become 1500rpm everything looks fine now.

also thanks for the MIL advise, further check looks like the O2 sensor is trouble and the EGCV or intake valve voltage (MIL code 9 and 34) is trouble. I will probably bypass the O2 sensor.

have a great weekend riding guys, cheers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page