setting up suspension v damper 954rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-13-2016, 9:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

setting up suspension v damper 954rr

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how to set up my suspension for my weight, as I'm reading a lot that says suspension set up properly negates the need for a damper?

I'm 5'9 215lbs (in shape, former world level powerlifter). Would my weight and strength be enough on it's own, or is that false security ???

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-13-2016, 5:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: setting up suspension v damper 954rr

I would choose to do suspension first too.
I've done both, forks and shock, and a scotts damper.
Start with the forks and researching what aftermarket springs and valving are available in your area and price range. Then an aftermarket shock for the back.
Suspension is expensive. I spent about $1000 rebuilding the forks with Ohlins springs and valves, seals and bushings. About another $800 on the Ohlins shock. Once you set riders sag, and compression and rebound settings are dialed in, the bike rides in a whole new class.
But I wouldn't say that negates the need for a steering damper. I wouldn't leave home without mine! It's cheap reliable insurance.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-13-2016, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I would choose to do suspension first too.
I've done both, forks and shock, and a scotts damper.
Start with the forks and researching what aftermarket springs and valving are available in your area and price range. Then an aftermarket shock for the back.
Suspension is expensive. I spent about $1000 rebuilding the forks with Ohlins springs and valves, seals and bushings. About another $800 on the Ohlins shock. Once you set riders sag, and compression and rebound settings are dialed in, the bike rides in a whole new class.
But I wouldn't say that negates the need for a steering damper. I wouldn't leave home without mine! It's cheap reliable insurance.
It has an Ohlins rear shock (or maybe just an Ohlins sticker) and WP forks, whatever the fook they are?

Is there like a chart or something that shows how many ideal clicks/turns = rider's weight?

I know I sound vague but haven't got it long and had major surgery of late and haven't done much poking around with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-13-2016, 8:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

By no means am I any sort of expert but. I'm pretty sure you will need to get new springs for the front forks based on your weight alone. There are some here that swear a damper is not necessary and vice versa? I purchased a good used one for piece of mind.

http://www.stephygee.com/954RRmanual.zip

Last edited by jdoni; 01-13-2016 at 8:17 PM. Reason: added link
post #5 of 16 Old 01-13-2016, 8:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954bladed View Post
It has an Ohlins rear shock (or maybe just an Ohlins sticker) and WP forks, whatever the fook they are?

Is there like a chart or something that shows how many ideal clicks/turns = rider's weight?

I know I sound vague but haven't got it long and had major surgery of late and haven't done much poking around with it
suspension is easily the most important aspect of a bikes handling. it will def have an effect on stability. however, head shake is still going to be there to a degree.

brother id love to just feed you my settings so you could simply go out n plug them in but unfortunately it doesnt work that way.

the thing is suspension operates differently for each and every bike depending on several factor unique to your specific bike. i dont mean model, but literally your bike. things like oil level, oil condition, bushing and seal condition etc etc.

ill go on to say setting up suspension is a very hard thing to really tell someone how to do. its a bit of a black art really. something all the reading in the world wont make you good at. it involves a fair amount of experience to be good.

the basic idea is you want it even front to back. even going down and even coming up. if its off front to back youd really be surprised how much it affects handling.

my best advice is get your bike to someone who knows how to do a setup. the good news is for an experienced suspension technician this is an easy 30 minute job. its cheap to have it done for you. i understand everyone doesnt have a suspension tech in their town but itd be worth a drive to one.

call a few shops close to you and inquire about some help with a suspension setup. see what they say, chances are if they cant help you they will know where you can find someone and usually within any local mc community there are one or two that everyone uses. so id ask around n see where people point you. then id go see them. if youre interested in learning ask for a guided tour while they set you up.

suspension is like a chain in its only as good as its weakest link. rear shocks hold up much better than forks because they are more of a closed system. so a suspension setup consists of getting the forks to the best setting they can be for the condition they are currently in and of course with you the rider using them. then the rear is tweaked to match the front as best it can.

you asked about the damper. ill tell you with 100% certainty that your best investment, and one you should def spend money on before you buy a damper would be getting proper springs for your weight in the forks. those arent crazy expensive. youll need a few other things with them tho. obviously to get the springs in the forks gotta be taken apart and this is the time to replace the seals and oil. you can buy springs and all the parts to freshen the forks for about 200$, give or take and itll be another 150 or so to pay a good tech to do them. whoever you find that can do that job around you is likely the same one who can setup your suspension as well. id call a few places n get as many opinions as you can get n go with whoever is recommended the most. just because a shop can do the job doesnt mean they are going to be the best at it. do some research.

this would be by far the best money you can spend on your bike. period. if you dont have the money to drop on a 700$ rear shock there isnt a real need to revalve the front forks. remember suspension is only as good as its weakest link. the rear shock can cover a broader range than the front end so a good set of springs and fresh oil n seals is all you really need up front until you do think your ready to go to that next level n buy an aftermarket rear shock. then doing the valve upgrade would be justifiable.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 01-14-2016 at 2:02 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 2:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

^ Very good post Kevin!

954bladed: since you think you have an Ohlins, it will have a number on the spring. You can probably find a chart online with a little searching.

Last edited by jondog9; 01-15-2016 at 1:16 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 8:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
suspension is easily the most important aspect of a bikes handling. it will def have an effect on stability. however, head shake is still going to be there to a degree.

brother id love to just feed you my settings so you could simply go out n plug them in but unfortunately it doesnt work that way.

the thing is suspension operates differently for each and every bike depending on several factor unique to your specific bike. i dont mean model, but literally your bike. things like oil level, oil condition, bushing and seal condition etc etc.

ill go on to say setting up suspension is a very hard thing to really tell someone how to do. its a bit of a black art really. something all the reading in the world wont make you good at. it involves a fair amount of experience to be good.

the basic idea is you want it even front to back. even going down and even coming up. if its off front to back youd really be surprised how much it affects handling.

my best advice is get your bike to someone who knows how to do a setup. the good news is for an experienced suspension technician this is an easy 30 minute job. its cheap to have it done for you. i understand everyone doesnt have a suspension tech in their town but itd be worth a drive to one.

call a few shops close to you and inquire about some help with a suspension setup. see what they say, chances are if they cant help you they will know where you can find someone and usually within any local mc community there are one or two that everyone uses. so id ask around n see where people point you. then id go see them. if youre interested in learning ask for a guided tour while they set you up.

suspension is like a chain in its only as good as its weakest link. rear shocks hold up much better than forks because they are more of a closed system. so a suspension setup consists of getting the forks to the best setting they can be for the condition they are currently in and of course with you the rider using them. then the rear is tweaked to match the front as best it can.

you asked about the damper. ill tell you with 100% certainty that your best investment, and one you should def spend money on before you buy a damper would be getting proper springs for your weight in the forks. those arent crazy expensive. youll need a few other things with them tho. obviously to get the springs in the forks gotta be taken apart and this is the time to replace the seals and oil. you can buy springs and all the parts to freshen the forks for about 200$, give or take and itll be another 150 or so to pay a good tech to do them. whoever you find that can do that job around you is likely the same one who can setup your suspension as well. id call a few places n get as many opinions as you can get n go with whoever is recommended the most. just because a shop can do the job doesnt mean they are going to be the best at it. do some research.

this would be by far the best money you can spend on your bike. period. if you dont have the money to drop on a 700$ rear shock there isnt a real need to revalve the front forks. remember suspension is only as good as its weakest link. the rear shock can cover a broader range than the front end so a good set of springs and fresh oil n seals is all you really need up front until you do think your ready to go to that next level n buy an aftermarket rear shock. then doing the valve upgrade would be justifiable.
Thanks for the info.

Surely if the Ohlins is legit, I wouldn't need to be thinking about getting another rear shock?

The front forks are clean as a whistle, no leaks etc and she feels pretty firm up there. I've only really been on smooth city roads so can't comment much on head shake etc, although I do plan on a damper before spring. I ride all year around but obviously in winter temps I don't red line it due to cold road surface.

For comparison, this bike feels completely diff to my old 929rr, when I'm leaning into a bend she feels like she's going around the bend on minimal lean over, as if there's some magic force cushioning me up straight again, if you get me? The only time I had confidence inspiring lean like this was on a brand new '07 gixer1000.

Joey Dunlop's former race mechanic is only a few miles away from where I'm originally from, I'd know him through weights comps etc, I'm sure I could probably get him to set it up.

Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown, I appreciate it.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 8:19 AM Thread Starter

I'll post a pic of the rear shock later, maybe some of you will know if it's legit or just a sticker on a standard/lesser shock.

Oh btw, are those Shindy dampers worth it? Seems to be an American make? Next cheapest are Sprint etc start at €380.00, fairly expensive!

I've seen a few 2nd hand dampers for sale, as little as €100.00, that have come off gixxers etc, how easy/difficult would it be to make them adapt to the 954? Just a different mounting kit?

Saw these:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeext...rking/11133752

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeext...00-02/10932400

Last edited by 954bladed; 01-14-2016 at 8:28 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 8:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
^ Very good post Kevin!

954bladed: since you think you have an Ohlins, it will have a number on the spring. You can probably find a chart online with a little searching.

cheers mate, only noticing this after my last post, I'll check it out later
post #10 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 AM

if i were going to invest in a damper id def shoot for the scotts.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #11 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 1:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
if i were going to invest in a damper id def shoot for the scotts.
Shindy not worth bothering with?
post #12 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 2:03 PM

Quote:
ive never owned one but have read several posts/reviews about them. its def not on the same level as a scotts but i suppose itd get the job done.

scotts has a lot more adjustability. particularly the scotts has a high and low speed adjustments that are independent from one another. so it specifically handles head shake better.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-14-2016, 8:36 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
I'll post a pic of the rear shock later, maybe some of you will know if it's legit or just a sticker on a standard/lesser shock.

Oh btw, are those Shindy dampers worth it? Seems to be an American make? Next cheapest are Sprint etc start at €380.00, fairly expensive!

I've seen a few 2nd hand dampers for sale, as little as €100.00, that have come off gixxers etc, how easy/difficult would it be to make them adapt to the 954? Just a different mounting kit?

Saw these:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeext...rking/11133752

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeext...00-02/10932400
Yes the Scotts will require a different mount specific to your ride.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-22-2016, 6:44 PM

Reputation Power: 19

perhaps this may help?

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension-tuning-guide

http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm#SET%20UP%20BIKE%20TO%20YOUR%20WEIGHT

03' Blk/Tit CBR 954rr, Erion full system, PCIIIr, Scott's Damper, Vortex Frame Sliders, Galfer SS Lines, Rear Seat Cowl, flapper pinned.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-23-2016, 1:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
My thoughts on a shindy compared to a Scott. The shindy is like buying a Toyota, good car that gets you around. The Scott is like buying a BMW. The BMW will get you around also but in style and with more features. Both will do what they are intended for. I have a Daytona on my F3 track bike and have zero complaints. The Daytona is the same as the shindy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page