Johnistheman's Electrical Issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 6:55 AM Thread Starter
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Johnistheman's Electrical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnistheman View Post
Hey, I'm having problems with my 03 cbr954rr. Bought it off Craigslist and forgot to check for headlights and signals. And come to find out, signals back and front are disconnected, and so are the headlights, horn, and signal switch. I've looked but can't seem to find the connection point for the headlights to test the bulbs. Here's some pictures. This relay under the seat isn't getting any fire, I checked with a test light. Also, I have a solid red light on dash, and when I start it Fl shows up. Any ideas? Here's the relay under the seat that isn't getting fire.
1st off, welcome to FB.org John

Site rules say to start your own thread, not to "piggyback" off another's... so that's why I did this. Let's start with the most important issue: your FI (fuel injection) system trouble indicator, and the MIL (malfunction indicator light) or the red LED that some people erroneously refer to as the "oil light".

Follow these instructions (found in a Service Manual), and get back to us with your findings. Then we can proceed with your lighting (or lack thereof) issues.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 7:24 AM Thread Starter
Heeza Y Zasch

Re: Johnistheman's Electrical Issues

The connectors in your 2nd picture are for the brakelight. You'll have voltage across there when the front brake lever is applied (ultimately illuminating your brakelight).

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 9:03 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
The connectors in your 2nd picture are for the brakelight. You'll have voltage across there when the front brake lever is applied (ultimately illuminating your brakelight).
I thought that too, but it looked like the switch was on his clutch side lever, but there is a two prong switch there

Then I thought maybe those were the horn connectors.

Too much electronics on them there bikes

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 9:41 AM Thread Starter
Heeza Y Zasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
I thought that too, but it looked like the switch was on his clutch side lever,Then I thought maybe those were the horn connectors.

Too much electronics on them there bikes
I reckon you're spot on mate... I stand corrected *beep beep*

That second image is the connector for the HORN.

post #5 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 1:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thanks so much guys. Yeah I was trying to find a way to create my own thread, but couldn't. Ant that other thread had the closest resemblance to my problem. But I know whenever I turn the bike from off too on the red light is on for about 2 seconds, then blinks once. And the FI light shows up along with a oil light under it. I also notice if I teeter the bike from side to side, the neutral light blinks in and out. I've got a video clip. I'll upload with pictures. I don't know where's the jumper wire is. I tried starting thbike with each wire, one at a time, unplugged. Two didn't let the bike start, and the other started and it only blinked once.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg‎  
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.567A6F51-BC7C-4F67-8ED4-FC14C452D39F.MOV‎ (20.36 MB, 16 views)
post #6 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 1:48 PM

After looking under there I was ble to find a slim but long, maybe half inch, black plug with nothing connected to it. It was under the silver trim of the frame. Also found this wire hanging out from the fuse box, which doesn't have fuses with numbers that match up to the cover of the box. I have a feeling this guy has really done some big electrical changes. Wish I would've known to look for this. First bike, and I got it for 2800. I should add that he added, JE pistons, swing arm, lowering kit, and exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg‎  
post #7 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 1:51 PM

Won't let me add all my pictures to one post.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg‎   12722446_1017069028353005_526086736_o.jpg‎   DSC05574.jpg‎   DSC05575.jpg‎  

DSC05576.jpg‎  

Last edited by Johnistheman; 02-14-2016 at 2:00 PM.
post #8 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 2:03 PM

Quote:
I reckon you're spot on mate... I stand corrected *beep beep*

That second image is the connector for the HORN.
Yeah, it is on the clutch side. but it doesn;t stay connected to those two prongs whenever i attaching them, and if i hold them, i still get no sound from the horn. but whenever i hit the turn signal switch the dash lights up, but it's very stiff, and sometimes it'll blink on the dash, sometimes it's solid, and stays lit until the switch is pushed down again in the middle position.
post #9 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 2:30 PM Thread Starter
Heeza Y Zasch

wow. wow. wow.

that thing has RUNNN!!! written all over it

Now that we've gotten past that, PLEASE invest in a multimeter and a Service Manual. That bike has been buggered something nasty (from the electrical system to the incorrect fasteners, the trashed tank to the... I'll stop there) and you'll be investing tens of hours into setting it straight (if you want a dependable machine). Wiring harness routes and schematics will soon be your best friend. We'll help how we can, but that Service Manual will tell you every measurement and WHERE to measure as needed.

The "jumper wire" is supplied by you. Just use any smaller gauge wire with stripped ends.
Also, those three booted relays should be mounted on the RIGHT side of the subframe, under the plastic. They are your (from front to rear):
1. Headlight (hi/lo) 2. Engine Stop and 3. Fan Control Relays

You can CAREFULLY "squoosh" the female ends of those horn connectors so they stay connected.

Last edited by unslow1; 02-14-2016 at 2:40 PM.
post #10 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 4:14 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
wow. wow. wow.

Now that we've gotten past that, PLEASE invest in a multimeter and a Service Manual. That bike has been buggered something nasty (from the electrical system to the incorrect fasteners, the trashed tank to the... I'll stop there) and you'll be investing tens of hours into setting it straight (if you want a dependable machine). Wiring harness routes and schematics will soon be your best friend. We'll help how we can, but that Service Manual will tell you every measurement and WHERE to measure as needed.

The "jumper wire" is supplied by you. Just use any smaller gauge wire with stripped ends.
Also, those three booted relays should be mounted on the RIGHT side of the subframe, under the plastic. They are your (from front to rear):

You can CAREFULLY "squoosh" the female ends of those horn connectors so they stay connected.

We can only provide so much "guidance" and knowledge of past experiences. What you have there is a classic basket case that needs to be gone over, piece by by piece, from the beginning. And that starts with a meter and service manual. There are wire diagrams here that you can use to trace and reconnect wires.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-diagrams.html

Once you have all your wires sorted out and the bike will start and run as normal, then we may be able to assist you piece it back together properly, diagnose your MIL codes, etc.

You're right though, the bike was "not loved" by the previous owner, that's for dang sure. It's time consuming, frustrating work, but not rocket science. We have confidence in you!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #11 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 4:26 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

You were a braver man than I buying that, hope you didn't pay too much for it.

If a picture paints a thousand words....

post #12 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
wow. wow. wow.

Damn. Yeah after I took a better look at it after they left, i realized that I hadn't seen the beginning of the bikes problems. I spend 2800 on it, it has 7000 miles on it. From what you guys see, what do I need to buy? It sucks I got stuck with the work, but I bought it off craigslist, and I've been trying to get in touch with the guy who sold it to me, and he's just not responding. Is the anything I can do to get my money back? Or would it be easier, and cheaper to just tidy this bike up a bit. I figured I'd have to take all the fairings off, so I was going to get a new set, once all those are all off I'll be able to disconnect the wires and put them all in place and in correct position. The relay I sent the picture of gets no fire, I've checked with a test light. I found that the orange connection in the front left is the signal, and the blue connection on the left is the other signal. That leaves the white connection that must be headlights, but I don't see a connection point. If I look directly underneath the cluster I can see two black connection that are taped off with no opposite connectors. So far I know I'm gonna get an integrated tailight, mirrors, flush signals, and a multimeter, i just can't tell if I'm missing a piece of wiring harness for the headlights, or from what you guys see I need to do about the fuse box situation. I've got the diagrams but where's the service manual? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Edit: found the service manual! Hell yeah!

Last edited by Johnistheman; 02-14-2016 at 6:00 PM.
post #13 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post

We can only provide so much "guidance" and knowledge of past experiences. What you have there is a classic basket case that needs to be gone over, piece by by piece, from the beginning. And that starts with a meter and service manual. There are wire diagrams here that you can use to trace and reconnect wires.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-diagrams.html

Once you have all your wires sorted out and the bike will start and run as normal, then we may be able to assist you piece it back together properly, diagnose your MIL codes, etc.

You're right though, the bike was "not loved" by the previous owner, that's for dang sure. It's time consuming, frustrating work, but not rocket science. We have confidence in you!
Thanks! Yeah, im hoping I can make a nice bike out of this. I'm pretty stuck with it now so might as well make it run. I figure once I'm down to the barebones, and I can see and trace all the wires, then it will be easier.
post #14 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
You were a braver man than I buying that, hope you didn't pay too much for it.

If a picture paints a thousand words....

Awe man, i paid 2800, this is a mess though. Haha, time to put my AV tech skill to the test.
post #15 of 51 Old 02-14-2016, 7:10 PM Thread Starter
Heeza Y Zasch

Quote:
Damn. Yeah after I took a better look at it after they left, i realized that I hadn't seen the beginning of the bikes problems. I spend 2800 on it, it has 7000 miles on it. From what you guys see, what do I need to buy?
SERVICE Manual... not Owner's Manual. Looks like this:

Also, if you're going into this for the long haul, I'd invest in: a multimeter, (4) relays, a package of assorted fuses (to put the properly rated ones in the appropriate position), 3 sets of brakepads, a new battery, heatshrink, connectors, and set aside some money for a stator and regulator/rectifier.

Quote:
It sucks I got stuck with the work, but I bought it off craigslist, and I've been trying to get in touch with the guy who sold it to me, and he's just not responding. Is there anything I can do to get my money back? Or would it be easier, and cheaper to just tidy this bike up a bit.
Likely not... just stick with it. We're here for ya homie

Quote:
I figured I'd have to take all the fairings off, so I was going to get a new set, once all those are all off I'll be able to disconnect the wires and put them all in place and in correct position. The relay I sent the picture of gets no fire, I've checked with a test light. I found that the orange connection in the front left is the signal, and the blue connection on the left is the other signal. That leaves the white connection that must be headlights, but I don't see a connection point. If I look directly underneath the cluster I can see two black connection that are taped off with no opposite connectors.
Wisest thing you've said so far!

Quote:
So far I know I'm gonna get an integrated taillight, mirrors, flush signals, and a multimeter, i just can't tell if I'm missing a piece of wiring harness for the headlights, or from what you guys see I need to do about the fuse box situation. I've got the diagrams but where's the service manual? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Edit: found the service manual! Hell yeah!
I'd not waste money on the superficial stuff... Priorities Amigo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page