I picked up a 98 900RR last night. The plastics are pretty rough, but it runs and rides fine. I paid 1300 for it and a 94 parts bike, which is just a frame, engine, and swingarm. Missing the front wheel and forks. The engine feels very strong, plenty of power, and no strange noises. 33k miles.
It was cheap because there is a crack somewhere around the stator cover. Not sure if it's the cover or the case. The previous owner slathered all kinds of sealant around it, and I haven't torn it apart yet. It leaks oil pretty steadily.
What needs fixing:
1. Headlight alignment is way off, I think the fairing stay is bent because the whole nose is shifted to the left
2. Cracked case/cover
3. Rear tire needs replacing, chain and sprockets too.
4. The tail is cobbled together and needs some work. Looks like it might be a conversion? Somebody has cut it under the seat and bolted it back together.
5. Plastic repair or replacement.
6. Mirror is missing, rear brake lever needs to be replaced.
So, do you guys commonly see cases cracked? If so, where is the damage at usually? I've read about it on the 929 bikes, but not so much the 919.
Also, the speedo doesn't work, but everything else does. Is this a digital gauge with a sensor, or does it have a cable?