Bought a Rough 98 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 1:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-16-2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5
   
Bought a Rough 98

I picked up a 98 900RR last night. The plastics are pretty rough, but it runs and rides fine. I paid 1300 for it and a 94 parts bike, which is just a frame, engine, and swingarm. Missing the front wheel and forks. The engine feels very strong, plenty of power, and no strange noises. 33k miles.

It was cheap because there is a crack somewhere around the stator cover. Not sure if it's the cover or the case. The previous owner slathered all kinds of sealant around it, and I haven't torn it apart yet. It leaks oil pretty steadily.

What needs fixing:
1. Headlight alignment is way off, I think the fairing stay is bent because the whole nose is shifted to the left
2. Cracked case/cover
3. Rear tire needs replacing, chain and sprockets too.
4. The tail is cobbled together and needs some work. Looks like it might be a conversion? Somebody has cut it under the seat and bolted it back together.
5. Plastic repair or replacement.
6. Mirror is missing, rear brake lever needs to be replaced.





So, do you guys commonly see cases cracked? If so, where is the damage at usually? I've read about it on the 929 bikes, but not so much the 919.

Also, the speedo doesn't work, but everything else does. Is this a digital gauge with a sensor, or does it have a cable?

Last edited by Atimm693; 02-16-2016 at 2:43 PM.
Atimm693 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 2:49 PM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,115
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Looks very much like the 1994 893 I bought last year, very similar condition, mine also only had one mirror!

Also like yours, mine had been down the road fairly hard, the nose and clocks were smashed and the generator cover was badly grazed. Fortunately it's oil tight and most of the damage was superficial, but expensive!


Last edited by Gunk; 02-16-2016 at 2:54 PM.
Gunk is offline  
post #3 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 2:50 PM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,115
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Now looks like this....



So keep us updated with your progress, we love a project!
Gunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 3:06 PM
 
Join Date: 08-10-2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
                 
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Now looks like this....



So keep us updated with your progress, we love a project!
Reminds me of the ugly duckling story...
Sabotage is offline  
post #5 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 3:57 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

to the site.

Something like this on the left side most likely. I just had mine done this past fall, haven't gotten it buttoned up yet though.







The speedo sensor is electric, and the sensor is behind the starter on the top of the tranny case.

Looks like you have a project here start yourself a REbuild thread and let the fun begin!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is online now  
post #6 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 6:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-16-2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5
   
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Thank you all. I will did into it in a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
to the site.

Something like this on the left side most likely. I just had mine done this past fall, haven't gotten it buttoned up yet though.







The speedo sensor is electric, and the sensor is behind the starter on the top of the tranny case.

Looks like you have a project here start yourself a REbuild thread and let the fun begin!
Sweet, thanks.
Atimm693 is offline  
post #7 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 8:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-16-2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5
   
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Well, I tore it all apart, and the damage is pretty bad. Broken in two places, and the pieces were not there. Looks like the previous owner used figerglass resin to seal it back up, which didn't work.



I have old cases laying around that I could probably cut and make new pieces out of, but I just don't know how easily it could be welded. I ordered a flywheel puller, and will drop the engine pretty soon.

What is the big allen bolt under the flywheel is for?
Atimm693 is offline  
post #8 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 8:30 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
Well, I tore it all apart, and the damage is pretty bad. Broken in two places, and the pieces were not there. Looks like the previous owner used figerglass resin to seal it back up, which didn't work.



I have old cases laying around that I could probably cut and make new pieces out of, but I just don't know how easily it could be welded. I ordered a flywheel puller, and will drop the engine pretty soon.

What is the big allen bolt under the flywheel is for?
Oh Sh!t that totally sucks. I didn't have the piece for mine either. The area was cleaned up, and a doner CRF450 case piece was fabricated to fit. You could do same with the spare cases you have. The Allen is to block off the main. Oil galley. Pretty sure it's got a copper washer behind it and can come out.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is online now  
post #9 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 8:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-16-2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5
   
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Oh Sh!t that totally sucks. I didn't have the piece for mine either. The area was cleaned up, and a doner CRF450 case piece was fabricated to fit. You could do same with the spare cases you have. The Allen is to block off the main. Oil galley. Pretty sure it's got a copper washer behind it and can come out.
Good to know, since it will probably have to come out to be welded.

I have two cases from an old Suzuki dirt bike that I'm not going to do anything with, so once the engine is out, I will look for cracks and trace out some pieces. These are aluminum, not magnesium right?

The bottom one will be especially tricky because of the curve and bolt hole.
Atimm693 is offline  
post #10 of 90 Old 02-16-2016, 8:54 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
Good to know, since it will probably have to come out to be welded.

I have two cases from an old Suzuki dirt bike that I'm not going to do anything with, so once the engine is out, I will look for cracks and trace out some pieces. These are aluminum, not magnesium right?

The bottom one will be especially tricky because of the curve and bolt hole.
Yes, aluminum.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is online now  
post #11 of 90 Old 02-17-2016, 5:24 AM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,115
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

That's worse than it looks because of all the crap smeared over the damage. With a donor case as Ian has demonstrated with his, that could be repaired.

In fact Ian's was worse because he had lost one of the threaded lugs.
Gunk is offline  
post #12 of 90 Old 02-17-2016, 7:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-16-2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5
   
Re: Bought a Rough 98

It will be difficult to weld for sure, because both areas need to have a threaded boss for a bolt, but I found a shop that seems pretty optimistic about it.

Going to start the process of dropping the engine out now.
Atimm693 is offline  
post #13 of 90 Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
It will be difficult to weld for sure, because both areas need to have a threaded boss for a bolt, but I found a shop that seems pretty optimistic about it.

Going to start the process of dropping the engine out now.
My cover was totally destroyed by the fall, so I had to get a replacement so the welder could line up the threads properly. When it originally broke, half the threads were still there. We completely cut them out to refit the new piece to include them.

I also had it welded while it was in the frame, in case you don't want to take it out.












My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 02-17-2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Added the part about leaving it in the frame.
IanDoohan is online now  
post #14 of 90 Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-16-2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5
   
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
My cover was totally destroyed by the fall, so I had to get a replacement so the welder could line up the threads properly. When it originally broke, half the threads were still there. We completely cut them out to refit the new piece to include them.

I also had it welded while it was in the frame, in case you don't want to take it out.











Thanks for the pics, mine is broken in the same area. The shop I spoke with is going to fill the broken areas, then build up bosses that I can drill and tap for the stator bolts.

I pulled the engine out last night. I've made arrangements to bring it in tomorrow morning. So, as they say, good lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be going back together tomorrow night.
Atimm693 is offline  
post #15 of 90 Old 02-18-2016, 2:07 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Bought a Rough 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
Thanks for the pics, mine is broken in the same area. The shop I spoke with is going to fill the broken areas, then build up bosses that I can drill and tap for the stator bolts.

I pulled the engine out last night. I've made arrangements to bring it in tomorrow morning. So, as they say, good lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be going back together tomorrow night.
No problem, I hope it all works out for you. Looking forward to your updates

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is online now  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CBR 954 Rough idle, and bike is rough until 3000 RPM's Tree954rr General Discussion 2 07-20-2015 4:37 PM
rough idle netromcbr Honda FireBlade 6 05-30-2013 10:19 AM
rough under 3000 rpm DOBSIN General Discussion 4 03-25-2013 2:25 AM
954RR rough low-end not fpr jared.malcolm Honda FireBlade 10 07-01-2011 12:05 PM
rough sound kiai General Discussion 4 09-18-2007 12:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome