Honda cbr900rr 1994 won't start - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2016, 9:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Honda cbr900rr 1994 won't start

Hello my bike ran fine last week then accidentally broke one of the prongs on the clutch handle switch replacing the cable and then my bike lost its mind wont start cranks in neutral but doesn't fire up I replaced the spark plugs was already going to replace them I checked the coils good condition they're new about a month old Checked if they were getting power yes getting power I did hours of searching these forums and few others all said jump the clutch switch so I did and then my coils weren't getting power at all grounded them out so I unsoldered the paperclip connection and put new wires on and ran it to the new clutch switch I just got and now the power doesn't ground from the coils but still isn't starting and doesn't let me crank in gear anymore either I pull the clutch in while in neutral and it makes my gauge clusters background lights turn on and if I let it back out they turn off again I've spent a week going through the whole wiring harness multiple times after taking it out the bike then I made sure all fuses are new I check all power wires everything's giving proper voltage but still the clutch switch is only funny acting thing besides the whole left control set stopped working when the clutch switch prong was broken horn blinkers hi lo beak none of these switches worked anymore maybe my ecu decided to go haywire all of a sudden?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-19-2016, 9:55 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Honda cbr900rr 1994 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3cause1mBatman View Post
Hello my bike ran fine last week then accidentally broke one of the prongs on the clutch handle switch replacing the cable and then my bike lost its mind wont start cranks in neutral but doesn't fire up I replaced the spark plugs was already going to replace them I checked the coils good condition they're new about a month old Checked if they were getting power yes getting power I did hours of searching these forums and few others all said jump the clutch switch so I did and then my coils weren't getting power at all grounded them out so I unsoldered the paperclip connection and put new wires on and ran it to the new clutch switch I just got and now the power doesn't ground from the coils but still isn't starting and doesn't let me crank in gear anymore either I pull the clutch in while in neutral and it makes my gauge clusters background lights turn on and if I let it back out they turn off again I've spent a week going through the whole wiring harness multiple times after taking it out the bike then I made sure all fuses are new I check all power wires everything's giving proper voltage but still the clutch switch is only funny acting thing besides the whole left control set stopped working when the clutch switch prong was broken horn blinkers hi lo beak none of these switches worked anymore maybe my ecu decided to go haywire all of a sudden?

Ok Batman lets back up a bit. Firstly, find the intro section and give us a quick background on where exactly the "bat cave" is located, your biking background, and a pic or 2 of the bike.

Secondly, I think that's the longest run on sentence I've ever seen Periods man, periods!

And now on to your issue. You said this all started when you replaced the clutch cable, breaking a spade lead off the end of the clutch switch, correct?

Then you said you know the coils are new, only a few moths old? Why were they replaced?

These bikes are electrically easy to work on, there's no FI to deal with, or looping back wires or convoluted emergency systems. Clutch switch, clutch diode, side stand switch, neutral switch, and kill switch.

Pretty much all these systems do is ground spark to stop it from firing. If you truly only damaged the clutch switch by changing the cable, get a known good clutch switch to swap out. Those switches are a bit finicky, single actuator on the lever side inside the perch housing. It can bend easily and malfunction.

It works in conjunction withe the neutral switch, allowing to start the bike with the bike in gear, which then includes the neutral switch.

Give a look here for your wire diagram:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-diagrams.html

Jumping this switch doesn't always make the bike start if there is another problem associated with it. Check all your grounds on the bike, and test the involved circuits via the service manual's instructions, if you don't have a manual, GET ONE ( but here's a few pics of the starting system and ignition system for your 94). And get a multimeter too, of course that's if you don't already have one.

Starter system:

Ignition system:

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 5 Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I can't tell you where the bat cave is located its supposed to be a secret!

Manual I have one but its a electronic on on my phone takes ages to get to what I need because the electrical pages are so far down I have a printed out full wiring diagram i used.

Multimeter I have one. That's how I got this far and tested all the voltage readings I was supposed to and got it all down to the clutch switch.

Everything was perfectly fine until the clutch switch on the perch started giving out it wasn't working properly that's why I changed my coils foolishly but its OK I know have a second set of perfect coils.

I was reading another post and someone was having the same issue same symptoms wouldn't start normally but would crank but if bump started would fire right up so after work I'll give it a try now that my coils are getting power again but still not giving spark to the plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-19-2016, 10:33 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

From what I can tell, the clutch switch will only stop the starter from spinning. It shouldn't affect spark, just power to the starter if in gear (i.e. Neutral light off) while trying to start with the clutch lever out. If your starter is spinning away while in neutral (light on) with the side stand up you should have spark. Check to make sure your stop switch is ON as a well, hey it happens sometimes.....

I've also seen the lead from the neutral switch to he harness ground out and make things interesting. Check that as well.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 5 Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

OK I'll try and see if the leads grounded out my neutral light comes on and is working when in neutral if I put it in gear and pull the clutch in neutral light doesn't appear and no longer cranks but cranks fine in neutral gear and when i unplug the coil leads while ignition on they're getting proper voltage 12v and I have the kill switch set to on I check it religiously and I hit the start button doesn't fire up I tried checking for spark by pulling the plug and putting it near the motor didn't show any sparks but still multimeter says I'm getting proper power to the coils I made sure the ignition pulse generator is connected no burns or anything still nothing everything's showing good except that darn switch its a new switch and it makes the power on my gauge cluster go in and out when I pull and release the lever I spent MY whole off day yesterday trying to get it running again as my truck decided to go out at 260k miles my bikes only transportation besides the obnoxious bus I've been going nuts from this no starting

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page