Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

954 Fuel Tank Low/Reserve Light Thermistor Info

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cbrplay 
#1 ·
Hopefully this post gives some people some help and Im sure I will touch various areas that may light some fires in members heads. thanks for reading.

Issue: Recently I had various electronic failures dues to an aftermarket HID kit installed. It fried my TOS (Tip over switch/sensor), Speedometer Sensor, Dash, Starter Relay, CDI issues, and my fuel reserve sensor.

I have replaced numerous electronics and have almost completed rebuilding and rewiring and error-less bike, except for the reserve sensor. For those who may not know, the reserve sensor is the red light on your dash that lights up when your tank has fallen past a certain level. This sensor is not a field replaceable unit unlike other models. The sensor is build into the fuel pump unit, and can be seen when you empty the tank and remove the unit with a 10mm socket, and disconnect the black 3 wire harness.

Inside the tank you will find a very small "can shaped" object that is attached to a shaft that connects to the base of the unit. It has a single wire coming from it. This is your sensor, technically known as a thermistor. It is a sensor that can be measured in ohms via multimeter and changes resistance emitted as the temperature around the senor changes.

The sensor is not a replaceable unit for the 929 or 954. Well I have been looking into the thermistor and trying to piece together the rating and how to replace. I have learned that the thermistor must be a rated at 1K and measure up to 25 degrees Celcius. some have tried a 2K rating. I have stumbled upon somthing that caught my attention. The 99/2000 CBR 600 F4 has an internal themistor that is a repalcable unit. listed as item: 37810-MBW-612. Im sure the resistatance of the thermistor is the same as the 954 considering they look very simular, Honda does not make huge changes when it comes to their products, and the internals of their equipment is very simular.

I will be purchaing this themistor and removing it from the 99 model. I am hoping the experiment works. If it does then anyone who has this issue wil be able to resolve that problem for less then a fraction of the price.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.