Rod Bearing Selection is this normal?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-29-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Rod Bearing Selection is this normal??

Guys, after finding the metal in my oil pan I'm taking no chances. It seems I have three C-2 and one C-3 bearing stamps on my rods. no.'s 1,2,3 are C-2 and no.4 is C-3. Is this normal that they are different like that? AM I readin this chart right? So I need 3 Black and 1 Blue? I'm confused because next to black it says B and next to Blue it says A, Help!! I'm used to Chevy motors where we cut the crank journal to all be the same. Also, I know it;s a good idea but with this ID the way it is if the journals are clean and the finish is nice do you really need to plastigauge them. The motor has 50,000 miles on it. It's not like I took it to a machine shop and had it cut and then I'm ordering a bearing, this seems spelled out. DO YOU GUYS CHECK THIS!!! YES I KNOW THE RIGHT WAY IS TO CHECK. What I'm asking is how many of you guys have just slapped them in without checking?

Thanks,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160529_105658864.jpg‎  

Last edited by pauvil; 05-29-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2016, 2:51 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Rod Bearing Selection is this normal??

Don't go by the letter stamped on the rod. The letter on the rod is it's weight code. So if you had to replace a rod, when you ordered it from Honda you would need to get a "C" weighted one to match the old one.

For rod bearings replacements, cross reference your stamp on the crankshaft, which is crankpin OD (LAABB) for example. Check your rod ID "number" stamp, which is rod ID, "2" for example, and go to the chart.

In my scenario for cylinder number 1, an A crank stamp and a rod number of 2 would require a Green bearing. And that's the process for each other rod.

When you then go to order your hearing you'll notice on a site like Partzilla they designate them by the "letter", which is the clearance range. They stamp the color on them for easier identification upon removal. The letter associated with the color in the chart means nothing as far as you determining which size to get, Honda sells them by the letter, but you seem to be using a non Honda OE manual, as your chart is different than mine. In the OE Honda manual the color is in parentheses on the chart, because you order them by the "letter".

Now, to answer you other question. "Can you just replace with the same color bearing and feel ok about it without plastigauging?? Yes, BUT, I have always plastigauged. In one instance even though the crank was clean with no marring, I had plans to just replace by the colors. But because I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't I plastigauged and the measurement wasn't spot on , so I had to go to the next color (dimension range).

I guess after all that is just take the extra time and gauge them. I hope that helps you out.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 3 Old 05-30-2016, 3:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Rod Bearing Selection is this normal??

Thanks, Ian, I misunderstood, my rods are stamped as follows, no. 1 cylinder stamped C2 no. 2 C2 no 3 C2 and no 4 C3. When I read the manual I thought these where the numbers they told me to use for the bearing selection. I will go read it again as I'm aware of the stamping on the crank. I guess I thought these would match the front of the crank. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if the bearing material is magnetic because the chips in my oil pan stick to a magnet. I started ripping it down and so far everything is in great shape, I haven't got to the bearings yet.

Thanks
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160530_151321290.jpg‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page