smells like gas - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-29-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-21-2016
Location: san jose
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
smells like gas

Hi all, I have a 2001 cbr 929 rr .Feels like its running pretty good.After I drive it and park in garage it smells like gas? I have checked under gas tank
and looked around and find no sign of leaks and can not locate smell .Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks,
IP27
ip27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 AM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

I see you're from California. Welcome to the forum. How long have you been riding?
1926 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 05-31-2016, 12:33 AM
 
Join Date: 01-08-2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 7,455
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198
                     
Re: smells like gas

Probably need to lift the fuel tank, inspect fuel hoses, and test the fpr.
Careful lowering the tank, easy to pinch wires, check that fuel vent hose is properly routed and venting.
jondog9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 05-31-2016, 6:22 AM
 
Join Date: 06-01-2011
Location: Quartz Hill, Ca
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122
                     
Garage
Re: smells like gas

Not sure how the tank vents on a 929, but I had a fuel cap that wasn't venting and as the bottom of the tank heated up from engine heat when I parked it after a ride it would force fuel out the overflow tube and leave a little puddle on the ground. If the cap is vented, make sure it is venting properly. I took mine apart and cleaned it.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
fj1200rj is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 05-31-2016, 9:27 AM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

You California guys, you all stick together! Everyone has to give pics, and an intro but the Cali guy? Wow.

If the vent was blocked FJ, he would have produced a vacuum in the tank and it would starve for fuel, not build up pressure unless he was storing it in warmer weather. He said he was riding it, so the vent isn't the issue. More like he has a leak, just hasn't looked hard enough from 5' away from the bike. Some old hose or connector could be weeping, that's all it takes to get fumes in a closed garage.
1926 is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 05-31-2016, 2:13 PM
 
Join Date: 06-01-2011
Location: Quartz Hill, Ca
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122
                     
Garage
Re: smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ip27 View Post
Hi all, I have a 2001 cbr 929 rr .Feels like its running pretty good.After I drive it and park in garage it smells like gas? I have checked under gas tank
and looked around and find no sign of leaks and can not locate smell .Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks,
IP27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1926 View Post
You California guys, you all stick together! Everyone has to give pics, and an intro but the Cali guy? Wow.

If the vent was blocked FJ, he would have produced a vacuum in the tank and it would starve for fuel, not build up pressure unless he was storing it in warmer weather. He said he was riding it, so the vent isn't the issue. More like he has a leak, just hasn't looked hard enough from 5' away from the bike. Some old hose or connector could be weeping, that's all it takes to get fumes in a closed garage.
After he rides it and parks it in the garage is what he said. This is exactly what I had a bike do. After parking it, particularly in warmer weather, the engine heat would cause the pressure in the tank to rise, forcing fuel out the overflow line. It would leave about 1/2 a pint on the garage floor. He asked for ideas, I gave him one. As far as California guys sticking together, I agree with who I agree with, regardless of their location, sometimes even you. Badgering people for not giving an introduction is not my style, I see no value in it. I'm not sure I gave an introduction 5 years ago myself, and I don't recall anyone badgering me, so who am I to pass judgement?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
fj1200rj is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 05-31-2016, 6:04 PM
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: 05-01-2006
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25
           
Re: smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1926 View Post
You California guys, you all stick together! Everyone has to give pics, and an intro but the Cali guy? Wow.

If the vent was blocked FJ, he would have produced a vacuum in the tank and it would starve for fuel.
Not true. I guess you never heard of the RC51 and the imploding tank. Some owners ran into a venting issue and the fuel pump caused such a vacuum that the tank would start to show dents in it from the difference of atmospheric pressure.

You would be surprised at how powerful the fuel pump is; they really suck.
lanbrown is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 06-01-2016, 8:44 AM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
After he rides it and parks it in the garage is what he said. This is exactly what I had a bike do. After parking it, particularly in warmer weather, the engine heat would cause the pressure in the tank to rise, forcing fuel out the overflow line. It would leave about 1/2 a pint on the garage floor. He asked for ideas, I gave him one. As far as California guys sticking together, I agree with who I agree with, regardless of their location, sometimes even you. Badgering people for not giving an introduction is not my style, I see no value in it. I'm not sure I gave an introduction 5 years ago myself, and I don't recall anyone badgering me, so who am I to pass judgement?
Like you, I call it like I see it, and people badger here. But in this case it was a joke about you California guys, if you were from anywhere else, you would have got it. Lighten up.

I never saw the spills from vent here, because I know where the vent pick up is. I don't fill up to the cap either. The vent is usually found above the splash ring under the cap. How does gas jump up there unless you're overfilling the tank while your bike is on the side stand?
1926 is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 06-01-2016, 8:47 AM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Not true. I guess you never heard of the RC51 and the imploding tank. Some owners ran into a venting issue and the fuel pump caused such a vacuum that the tank would start to show dents in it from the difference of atmospheric pressure.

You would be surprised at how powerful the fuel pump is; they really suck.
You're right, never knew it was a specific problem or flaw to any particular bike model. Usually a blocked vent will whistle at you, or when you open the cap you can hear release of pressure and investigate the problem before it worsens. But again, the vent should be well above the fuel line before gas actually vents to the floor. People do fill on the side stand just for this reason. A blocked vent, full tank of gas, how you create enough vacuum I guess to do that.

Last edited by 1926; 06-01-2016 at 8:54 AM.
1926 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 AM
 
Join Date: 06-01-2011
Location: Quartz Hill, Ca
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122
                     
Garage
Re: smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1926 View Post
Like you, I call it like I see it, and people badger here. But in this case it was a joke about you California guys, if you were from anywhere else, you would have got it. Lighten up.

I never saw the spills from vent here, because I know where the vent pick up is. I don't fill up to the cap either. The vent is usually found above the splash ring under the cap. How does gas jump up there unless you're overfilling the tank while your bike is on the side stand?
No worries, I got your joke. I'm sure you've left a sealed gas can in the sun, it heated up, pressurized and was forced out the vent.
In my case the vent was plugged and as the bike was parked with a hot engine the fuel expanded enough to be forced out the overfill hose onto the ground underneath the bike every time I parked it anywhere close to full. The bike ran fine, no fuel starvation issues at all so enough air must have been allowed in.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
fj1200rj is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 06-01-2016, 11:25 AM
 
Join Date: 03-12-2016
Location: usa
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
     
Re: smells like gas

Intake leak is somewhat sensitive to stalling = Idles fine or the OP would complain about stalling. Cali uses a vapor canister and loops that vapor/overflow to a cylinder via a hose(s) off the throttle body. Possible overfilled the tank one too many times, excess ran down the canister and is still purging?... scenario 1. Scenario 2 is a broken tube inside the tank that may be submerged in the tank?

Catch22 is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 06-01-2016, 2:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-21-2016
Location: san jose
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1926 View Post
I see you're from California. Welcome to the forum. How long have you been riding?
Hi, thank you for the welcome!I am from San Jose Ca.I have been on 2 wheels since I was a kid.
i got my lic at about age 17, i enjoy being on 2 wheels!
So how about you,how long you been riding. Its very nice to meet you
sorry for the slow reponse!
ip27 is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 06-01-2016, 4:35 PM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

Hi Ip man. I'm rather new to riding, 2011, legally anyway. I live every night on Craigslist chasing bikes since working around one kind of bike then another, and none actually fit or ride like I want them too. Then of course, in my 50s, just when I got it figured out, my body starts to ache and I had to downgrade to an upright riding position. Good forum, people know a lot here, and are helpful by majority.
1926 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 06-02-2016, 9:45 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-21-2016
Location: san jose
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ip27 View Post
Hi all, I have a 2001 cbr 929 rr .Feels like its running pretty good.After I drive it and park in garage it smells like gas? I have checked under gas tank
and looked around and find no sign of leaks and can not locate smell .Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks,
IP27

Hi Guys, thanks for the tips! over the the weekend. I did pull up the tank and looked and smelled for leaks and checked out all hoses also did that with the motor on! and did not find anything in that area...one thing I did not check , which someone mentioned was air cleaner being very dirty! I will check it out again. another thing I did look at, was the rear exhaust. There is a oxygen sensor. I pulled the off and started the bike. I did find that smelly gas smell stronger!...So what you all think..could it be a oxygen sensor??
or if anyone know exactly what that sensor does??
thanks !
ip27 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 06-02-2016, 9:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-21-2016
Location: san jose
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: smells like gas

.
Hey 1926, what took you so long to get into bikes!! haha! JK! well that sucks that you are having a hard time finding a bike! what are you riding? good luck on finding a bike that you like and fits you!
ip27 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help. Cbr1000 won't start smells like fuel. ErnieB Honda FireBlade 5 10-19-2015 1:11 PM
929 smells like antifreeze when started, any ideas? CrazyEyE General Discussion 2 11-11-2010 1:56 PM
954 smells like gas ans whines in 6th gear?? MadRussian Honda FireBlade 5 05-15-2008 11:56 PM
Smells like a Nigerian scam Pete General Discussion 7 02-15-2006 7:11 PM
Smells like exhaust.... aronious_p General Discussion 10 02-26-2005 10:45 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome