Please please can some one help CBR 900RRW no spark - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 05-29-2016, 8:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Please please can some one help CBR 900RRW no spark

Hi all I'm in need of some help as my blade dead today .

Its a cbr 900 rrw as i was riding the bike cut out an died , when i tried to restart it i notice i had lost the milage display and temperature display and the neutral and oil light just went out when the starter button was pressed.

A friend came to the rescuse with a new battery we fitted it on the side of the road and the bike fired up , i rode it back to the garage but the milage display , temp display speedo and tacho were not working , when we got to our garage we tested the voltage of the battery while running and it was peaking up to 17v while revving the bike.

We changed the rectifer while my battery was on charge , sorted that problem back to 13.5-14v .

We went to refit my battery but it had been cooked it was showing 12.80v but failed to even turn the bike over.

We then refitted the new battery , and the bike just turned over now it wont start , we have no spark , i then tried my ICM on his cbr900rrw (same ICM code) it fires up fine,
We have tried his ignition on mine as i have no power going to the pink ICM wire , nothing , we have tried his starter solenoid still nothing we have tried to find any damaged wires/ bad conections but nothing.

We have continuity from the green ICM wire to the battery and a battery voltage reading from the black many hours of testing wires we are now lost and hoping you guys can help?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 05-29-2016, 10:27 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Please please can some one help CBR 900RRW no spark

Where on the pink wire did you check for voltage? You know it needs to show about 9vdc in order for the ECU to work. The ignition switch on your buddies bike should have solved that problem. Possibly one of the clutch/sidestand safety's got fried? Have you checked your fuse box for melted connections? Put your buddies clock asembly on yours and see if it lights up, etc.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 2:57 AM Thread Starter

Iv check the pink wire at the ICM and at the ignition connection plug ,
I should of said sorry the bike is prepared as a race bike so i have no lights , no clutch switch , no side stand my ICM runs my friends bike with all the dash working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 5:24 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Have you checked you are getting 12v at the coils (black/white wire) with the ignition on? If not, check that fuse B and the kill switch are ok.
post #5 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 5:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i have power at the black/whites at the coil with ignition on also power coming back through the blue/yellow 2 aswell
post #6 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 5:52 AM Thread Starter

All fuses checked good , Iv even put all new fuses in just to be double 100%sure lol.
The only place that doesn't have power that should (that I know of) is the pink from the ignition , I went and bought a 9v battery this morning and conneted the positive of that to the pink an the neg to the bike battery it gave me 9v coming in to the ICM but still no spark
post #7 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 7:24 AM

Garage

Ok so things we know:

Sparked before battery got fried

Reg/rec crapped out

Track bike harness

Dash/clocks lost power

Power at coils

Good ECU

No power at pink, which means bad connection at ignition switch. I'm prepping my RRX right now as a track bike, so I have basically the same set up as you.

There is a small red wire pigtailed off the 12vdc constant red that powers the dash. I'm using a toggle switch for my ignition, so I had to wire in the Zener diode, etc. The 2 Red's here I just took right out of the ignition connector and connected to the "off" side of the switch. You can see it here:

And it runs into the clocks via the clock harness seen at the top of this picture:

I'm guessing something is toast in your harness in this area. Can you post pics of your set up?

How did you confirm there is no spark?

post #8 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 7:33 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I guess it could be the pulse generator that's packed up, though that's unlikely to have been caused by a failed reg/rect. That said it's probably worth unplugging the ignition amplifier and sticking a meter across the pulse generator pins on the loom side to measure resistance. You should see around 400 ohms IIRC, and you should see no continuity (infinite resistance) from either of the pulse generator wires to ground.

More likely you have disturbed a bad/corroded connection (possibly within the loom itself) whilst replacing the battery and r/r.

Have you measured the voltage on the pink wore at the ignition switch connector (or on the back of the ignition switch itself) rather than the ignition amplifier? I don't quite understand how there could be 0 volts here if there is battery voltage on the red wire, and if the ignition switch works on another bike.
post #9 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 7:51 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenelliBlade View Post
I guess it could be the pulse generator that's packed up, though that's unlikely to have been caused by a failed reg/rect. That said it's probably worth unplugging the ignition amplifier and sticking a meter across the pulse generator pins on the loom side to measure resistance. You should see around 400 ohms IIRC, and you should see no continuity (infinite resistance) from either of the pulse generator wires to ground.

More likely you have disturbed a bad/corroded connection (possibly within the loom itself) whilst replacing the battery and r/r.

Have you measured the voltage on the pink wore at the ignition switch connector (or on the back of the ignition switch itself) rather than the ignition amplifier? I don't quite understand how there could be 0 volts here if there is battery voltage on the red wire, and if the ignition switch works on another bike.
I was thinking that too, hard to have power at the coils but no spark, eh? He said when he pushed the start button the lights would go out on the dash. Seems something is messed up, up front in the harness. Kill switch, start button, no pink voltage, no dash lights.........

post #10 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 8:21 AM Thread Starter

Im just in my way back from my mates with a pluse gen now so I'll get some pics up soon as i get back really hope imthis is the issue , what reading should i get from the pluse gen is it 0.7v ?
post #11 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 8:25 AM Thread Starter

This is so confuseing i have done all the haynes manual tests on the ignition for continuity an all is as should be i have battery voltage in all ingnition wire yet nothing in the pink ??
post #12 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 8:44 AM Thread Starter

I have continuity between the yellow/white wire to battery earth ?? You said i shouldnt what does that mean ??
post #13 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 8:53 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeboy1989 View Post
Im just in my way back from my mates with a pluse gen now so I'll get some pics up soon as i get back really hope imthis is the issue , what reading should i get from the pluse gen is it 0.7v ?
The test for the ignition coil is peak voltage only, used with a special adapter, which yes, should be .7v minimum.

But still, how did you come to determine you have no spark?

post #14 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 8:54 AM

Garage

Are you still using the OE key switch?

post #15 of 60 Old 05-30-2016, 9:00 AM Thread Starter

Yeah oe ignition switch , it wouldnt start so i pulled the leads off an put brand new plugs in the leads an earthed them on to engine even put a jump lead from neg on battery to hold the new plugs an still no spark , I can figure out how to put pics up I only have my phone with me an limited signal . Really appreciate the help tho guys ��������

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page