Setting up suspension on 2012 cbr1k - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2016, 3:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Setting up suspension on 2012 cbr1k

How the heck do I figure this out. Are there still springs in the big forks? I'm 230 lbs and I ride hard. Some track days about 5 a year. I had an r6 that was easy. Are there no pre-loads on the new Honda? What is suggested rebound and compression? Stock is 4 turns on each but isn't that for the average 170lb human? Should I upgrade to bigger fork?

Last edited by Travisf1; 06-01-2016 at 3:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Re: Setting up suspension on 2012 cbr1k

Yes, springs up front. No, you are still light for the stock stuff. However, if you want performance, then run springs from the aftmakt. Give your weight and they have some chart they go by. Once the springs are in, search for sag settings. The clicks are an art. Find how many are in total for the comp and rebound, set it in the middle and go from there. I have no clue of the product, year, etc. If I were to walk up to a set of forks: Spring setting has to have a 2 stage type piggy on the top cap. If it's not a hex head, screws down into the top cap, then no spring setting, just the rebound screw on the top cap.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2016, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

It should show in the owners manual how to adjust, and what they do, and where they're at on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-09-2016, 4:08 PM Thread Starter

I do not have access to the owners manual. It just of been lost in the sale somewhere.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2016, 1:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

I bought the suspension book from RaceTech. Worth its weight in gold. It explains the so called "cause and effect" of handling, with possible solutions. For example, if the bike keeps going wide, finishing a turn. Try raising the rear ride height or pull the forks up through the clamps. IN SMALL INCREMENTS. etc, etc, so on and so forth.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-10-2016, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisf1 View Post
I do not have access to the owners manual.
Usual positions of compression is at the bottom = Count click from closed position. Do not twist any farther you feel the screw kind of ramp up to the next click is tighten no further, roll back to that last click, this is now closed.

Top adjust is the rebound screw = Same 'find the middle' of clicks to begin setting this one.

Sag = This is spring or chassis balance, where the horizontal sit is level to the rider's compression weight to the bike's frame fore and aft.

Compression = If you have a hard compression, the time it takes to return is more like slow down the action, see the air gap of the tire to ground.

Rebound = This works the compression's speed to clean the air gap, or follow the road without an air gap.

Tire patch fore or aft = This is where you plow the front end/finish off wide/back end comes out too soon/dives in quick/can watch the second hand move on your watch before the rest of the bike follows in kind of wheel plant. The closer to the frame is the patch, the quicker the turn. The wider out from the frame, the chopper look and more stable at higher speeds. Too close to the frame, shopping cart wobble is now in a wobble I drop/raise the forks/tilt the back up or down are the black art movements.

How close am I to the book?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
fireblade , fireblade 2012 , honda

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page