Regulator/Rectifier Wiring on 2003 CBR954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-04-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via Skype™ to Urkie
Regulator/Rectifier Wiring on 2003 CBR954

Hi guys,

My bike left me stranded the other day next to the side of the road, flat battery. I found this hard to believe as this battery is basically brand new. I trailered the bike home and charged the battery on the Opti-Mate, which showed no errors on the battery.

I reinstalled the battery, started the bike, she ran fine. Checked the charging at the battery, and it was showing 12.1vDC on the terminals. Disconnect the terminals and the bike dies immediately. Reconnected terminals and started bike again, checked AC voltage on stator coils and all three showed about 17vAC on idle, and nothing going back to ground.

Then I proceeded to test the regulator/rectifier and found that one of the diodes in the bridge rectifier has gone. I noticed that the bike was actually fitted with an already repaired K7 GSXR750 regulator/recitifer, that had 8-wires... three yellow, two red, two green and one black.

I went out this morning and bought a new generic 65w 7-wire regulator/rectifier. I installed it, and made sure I have all wires where they should be, green to green, red to red and yellows to yellows. I did however notice that on the Honda plug there is a black with white tracer pair of wires that are wired into the same terminal. The guy at the bike shop said I shouldn't worry about them, as they serve no purpose, but I have my reservations as the black wire mentioned above on the old GSXR750 K7 regulator/rectifier ran to this terminal.

However, when I start my bike, I now get 14.2vDC at the terminals on idle, but if I remove the positive terminal while the bike is idling it still just dies.

My questions are...

Is the bike supposed to keep running, even when the battery is disconnected after starting it? As primitive as this method sounds, this is how I use to gauge roughly if a charging system works or not, but usually on older cars and bikes. I don't know if the systems still work the same, hence me asking.

What is the black with white tracer wires for on the loom side of the Honda connector? Does this have something to do with why the bike dies?

Thanks in advance.

Jacques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-04-2016, 2:44 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: Regulator/Rectifier Wiring on 2003 CBR954

I only have enough time to answer: YES. the bike should "die" as soon as the battery is removed. good luck with the rest, I hope someone else chimes in

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 6 Old 06-04-2016, 4:52 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

The bike will run only as long as the charge in the battery can keep it going. On a carbed bike it would be substantially longer (relatively speaking) than an FI bike, which requires much more juice to power all the associated electronics. If it was weak to begin with, I would assume your battery would fail almost immediately after removing the charging system from it.

Disconnecting the positive terminal from the battery while running simulates a catastrophic electrical failure and the bike will shut off immediately.

The charging system on these bike does nothing else except feed dc voltage to the battery. The battery keeps all the electronics functioning.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-04-2016, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

Does anybody know what that black with white tracer is for on the connector? I have looked at some wiring diagrams, it seems to be a ground of some sort that runs to the engine stop relay, injectors, coils, fuel cut-off and fan relays...

Do I need to connect this to something or just leave it be?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkie View Post
Do I need to connect this to something?
Yes.

You have the book, hook it up to said distance to said area. If it's all OEM parts being replaced, has a connector end, then it ends up to a tracer type [wire] and that opposite end is male/female matching the connector. Get it? There is so much length to said other connector from harness to said wired jobber's connector. Make sense saying it two ways?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 2:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
Yes.

You have the book, hook it up to said distance to said area. If it's all OEM parts being replaced, has a connector end, then it ends up to a tracer type [wire] and that opposite end is male/female matching the connector. Get it? There is so much length to said other connector from harness to said wired jobber's connector. Make sense saying it two ways?
At the cost of me looking and sounding like a complete idiot, the unit I am replacing was not OEM to start with, it's Suzuki made to work on my bike, and now I am replacing the Suzuki unit with a generic 7-wire unit. Has only 3 stator wires, two positive wires and two negative/ground wires. My bike's loom has 8 pins in total between the two connectors, 3 yellow ones which are obviously the stator coils, and on the other plug it has 2x red wires (positive as per wiring diagram), two green wires (negative as per wiring diagram) and then lastly a black wire with a white tracer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page