Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

I think it may be flooding? CBR954

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  unslow1 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a fairly old 954 that has done over 100,000 k's (odo stopped at 99999). The HTEV stopped working so I have taken out the htev motor and modded to remove the check engine light and fixed the exhaust unit in the fully open position, also I have screwed the flapper in a fully open position.
I have a PC3 usb and am running a two brothers full system (without HTEV) map.
Most of my riding is commuting in thick traffic every day - not really thrashing it.

My problem is - if I stop halfway home, approx 20min riding, the bike wont start (it turns over until the battery goes flat) unless I leave it for about 30 min or more.

I "think" it may be fouling the plugs - excessive fuel? and it takes 30 min to dry out?

I have changed the plugs twice in the last year thinking it was the plugs failing.

any ideas?

#3 ·
Thanks for your response

If there is a MIL code wouldn't the lamp light up on the cluster?
I get no FI light or anything indicating a fault.

I have checked the vacuum line on the FPR for leaks but found nothing. Can the FPR jam open to a higher fuel pressure without leaking out the vacuum line?

#8 ·
Forget about codes for now. If none are present during initial start up and self check don't worry about it for a minute.

What are you trying with the throttle and choke when it fails to start?
Are you using iridium plugs?
What is your normal idle speed when at operating temp?
Did you cycle the fuel pump while you had the vac line off the fpr?

#9 ·
1, When I try to start I leave the throttle alone and unless im mistaken there is no choke.
2,Yes i am using the standard ngk iridium plugs.
3, from memory (I will check on Saturday) the idle is bout 800rpm when hot.
4, and i turned on the key and heard the pump when i had the vacuum line off.

Thanks for your help :)

#10 ·
I had the exact same issue that started around 25- 30K miles, it started fine while cold but i would have to do a rolling bump start every time i shut it off for a gas fill up or something else and it would literally just crank over until the batttery died. Anyway, it still had the original stock battery so i replaced it with a shorai and it hasnt had any problems since. The issue may be something else like the regulator, running rich/fouled, etc, but it appears the new battery is providing enough juice to overcome whatever was preventing it from firing up.

#13 ·
Ok.
I started the bike after sitting for a week, it started well. I warmed it up to 100 degrees - idle was 1200 rpm, stopped it. Tried to start again, seemed a little weak but started, turned off and tried gain - wouldn't start.
Left it for about 20 minutes, tried starting - wouldn't start.
Waited another 20 min and tried again - turned over a few times and started then backfired like a shotgun!! very loud.

I took a video but didn't manage to get the backfire.
about 4 minutes - sorry if its a bit tedious.
gets interesting at about 2:45

#15 ·
Glad you mentioned that. I was thinking the same thing about cracking the throttle open a tad. That's why I asked what he's doing with the throttle and choke. I hesitated to recommend, cause I didn't really know, but it's worked for me in the past when I had fpr issues.

#18 ·
Hi all.

I think I found the problem:

Pulled out the spark plugs - #3 was wet as.
inspected the coils - the pegs that are supposed to put pressure on the spark plug post were all broken off.

I think that the connection was either weak or getting totally lost.
As a temporary fix I lined the inside of the coils with tin foil to take up the gap.

may need to buy a new set of coils or figure out a better more permanent repair - possibly heli-coil the inside of the coils to make the ignition coils screw onto the plugs?

Cheers for the help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.