Trying to install stator.. Help 929rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 8:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Trying to install stator.. Help 929rr

So finally got back to working on the bike, ordered my parts and got them in, changed regulator -- went smoothly. Now fun part, stator. I went to remove the cover and as expected another problem, my socket is too big for the one last bolt after putting this aside out of frustration having to buy a whole other set for that one little bolt when the rest came off fine... I came back from Florida, nice and relaxed bought the new smaller socket set and back at it I go, I took out the old one, rebolted and installed the new one.. Bike won't start. Noticed this new tube/pin on the floor and realize. I didn't have that on the floor before now I take off the cover, put it in but when I put in the pin and try to match it up with the whole it goes it the stator goes in but gets stuck because it's not on correctly. The pin lines up but everything else doesn't, the bolts to the cover don't match where they're supposed to be and I looked closer and it doesn't seem to look flush. The little gear with the hole for the pin looks off and looks like the pin should be going deeper but it isn't and that's causing The miss match, I feel if the gear was moved accordingly to follow the hole behind it, I would have the pin in and the stator cover back on fine. I'll attach a photo, please help me, first bike I'm actually working on so I never looked at the inside of a stator cover..
Attached Thumbnails
image.png‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 10:11 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Trying to install stator.. Help 929rr

This is from my 1999 900RR. I'm only assuming they're similar. It looks like your gear is in backwards, and the larger cogs need to engage the clutch on the inside of the flywheel. Give it a look.

Also, you almost need to get the hole lined up AND both sets of cogs on the first shot, because when/if the starter clutch moves it makes it hellish to line back up again. Once the gear is lined up, put the pin in first, then put the cover on.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Put a socket and ratchet on the flywheel nut and turn the motor CCW a little, and slide the starter gear up at the same time. The hole should be lined up so you can install the pin.

I've had my stator cover on and off so many times that I can do it with my eyes closed. That is the best way I've found to line that little gear back up.

Also make sure the alignment dowel(s) are clean and not damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 7:42 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
This is from my 1999 900RR. I'm only assuming they're similar. It looks like your gear is in backwards, and the larger cogs need to engage the clutch on the inside of the flywheel. Give it a look.
In the manual I have here it looks like the idler gear is located the other way around on the 929/954.

I don't quite understand exactly what the OP's problem is though? Align the idler gear with the hole in the crankcase, insert the pin through the gear to the bottom of the hole and then fit the cover.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 8:04 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

This is the 929, showing front to the left. Which by his photo shows he has his idler gear in backwards.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I can't access photobucket in work to post a screen shot of my manual, but have a look at
post #7 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post

Also, you almost need to get the hole lined up AND both sets of cogs on the first shot, because when/if the starter clutch moves it makes it hellish to line back up again. Once the gear is lined up, put the pin in first, then put the cover on.

I haven't touched anything on this at all other then the cover, and the setup is looking exactly like mine however my pin isn't going in as deep. I'm gonna try what Atimm693 mentioned and hopefully I can get this stator working. Thank you for the response !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
Put a socket and ratchet on the flywheel nut and turn the motor CCW a little, and slide the starter gear up at the same time. The hole should be lined up so you can install the pin.

I've had my stator cover on and off so many times that I can do it with my eyes closed. That is the best way I've found to line that little gear back up.

Also make sure the alignment dowel(s) are clean and not damaged.
Will try that later on today, thank you ! I'll update a little later on when I give it a go
post #8 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 6:29 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage

I had the same problem when I changed covers, the pin came off with the cover and the small cog dropped out of alignment. I did manage to get it back in with some fiddling and turning the flywheel nut slightly.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM

To install shaft, move stator and either watch the holes line up or move away from the hole. It has to ride on the stator gear, right? And direction wise, flat side I would assume is to the engine?
post #10 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM

This is the starter clutch IPL for a 929, to muddy the waters even more. It shows the larger gear inward.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/.../m2073sch97103
post #11 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 9:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is the starter clutch IPL for a 929, to muddy the waters even more. It shows the larger gear inward.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/.../m2073sch97103
Tried it and bam, works like a charm. Now my next issue, my fan doesn't turn on and the bike shuts off at 215f ish, 212+ but I have a crack in my airbox and the inside is somewhat exposed is this causing the fan to not read the correct temp or something where it doesn't turn on? Or is there something I should check regarding the fan
post #12 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamJohn View Post
Tried it and bam, works like a charm. Now my next issue, my fan doesn't turn on and the bike shuts off at 215f ish, 212+ but I have a crack in my airbox and the inside is somewhat exposed is this causing the fan to not read the correct temp or something where it doesn't turn on? Or is there something I should check regarding the fan
The air box problem is not related, but you'll want fix it to prevent dusting your engine if it's cracked before the air filter.

The fan is controlled by the switch in the radiator. Pull the wire off and ground it with the key switched on. If the fan runs, the switch is not working. If it doesn't, could be the fuse, relay, or fan motor.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The air box problem is not related, but you'll want fix it to prevent dusting your engine if it's cracked before the air filter.

The fan is controlled by the switch in the radiator. Pull the wire off and ground it with the key switched on. If the fan runs, the switch is not working. If it doesn't, could be the fuse, relay, or fan motor.
Ready have the no airbox I just wanted to make sure if I needed to order anything So I can do everything in one shot

Would the fan be the reason it shuts off on idle ?
post #14 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamJohn View Post
Ready have the no airbox I just wanted to make sure if I needed to order anything So I can do everything in one shot

Would the fan be the reason it shuts off on idle ?
I'm not sure if a 929 will shut itself down if over heated, but 215 is not that hot. 230-240 is when you should start to be concerned, and an automated shut off should be even higher than that. So I don't think that is the cause of your stalling.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure if a 929 will shut itself down if over heated, but 215 is not that hot. 230-240 is when you should start to be concerned, and an automated shut off should be even higher than that. So I don't think that is the cause of your stalling.
Could it be that the battery isn't fully charged yet? Even with the new stator/regulator ? Battery was practically dead before I put on the stator and jumped it with my car

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page