Lithium Ion Battery - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 6:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via Yahoo to kahlilj
Lithium Ion Battery

So after this happened to my gel battery:

I decided to finally a try a LiO battery. Bought it on amazon a few days ago. We'll see how it works

Last edited by kahlilj; 06-27-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 9:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Lithium Ion Battery

itd be amazing if youd come back in a year or so n let us know how she hold up.

ive had the shorai lithium iron that was in my 954 when i bought it in there for the 2 years ive had it plus the year the po had it. i live in s indiana and the winters are brutal. its been left in the bike, in a non environmentally controlled pole barn without ever using a battery tender. it has yet to fail me. i did start it once in the dead of winter on a below 0 degree day just to see how it would do. it was slow but after a couple tries built up the voltage n fired up.

i guess the lithium ion is a similar technology but it is different than the lithium iron.

anyway, id be interested in long term review.

btw, what did happen to the gel? did it just get hot n bulge like that or....

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Overcharging?
Done a reg/rec check recently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 5:14 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Overcharging?
^^^^ THIS

Lead acid batteries don't just spontaneously swell up like that, it's almost certainly been overcharging. If the reg/rect isn't working correctly then your expensive Lithium battery will have an even shorter life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
i guess the lithium ion is a similar technology but it is different than the lithium iron.
"Lithium Ion" is a catch-all name that covers all types of lithium based battery chemistries. Lithium Cobalt Oxide, Lithium Manganese Oxide and Lithium Iron Phosphate are all "Lithium Ion" chemistries.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 1:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Overcharging?
Probably overcharged. I let the bike sit in the winter connected to a battery charger (not a battery tender)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenelliBlade View Post
^^^^ THIS

Lead acid batteries don't just spontaneously swell up like that, it's almost certainly been overcharging. If the reg/rect isn't working correctly then your expensive Lithium battery will have an even shorter life.

good stuff. is there any sign to check for to determine if the reg/rec isn't working properly?
post #6 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 2:28 PM

easy basic test is to put a multimeter on the two battery terminals while the bike is running and you should get a reading of 13.6-14.9 volts.

this isnt a definitive test of the r/r but typically when they go bad the running voltage will be >14.9 but not always. sometimes this higher charging voltage is sporadic so as mentioned its not a true test of specifically the r/r. if its over 14.9 tho you can bet its the r/r.

for a more detailed testing procedure of the r/r and all the charging system components reference the link.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dix you check the reg/rectifier and voltage while it's running? Just kidding, wanted to be an echo on this thread one more time.

Rev it up while you test it, not just at idle. Around 4000rpm you can notice well behaved voltage at low rpm suddenly go nuts at higher rpm.

Lithium batteries are great, and so damn expensive.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 7:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
easy basic test is to put a multimeter on the two battery terminals while the bike is running and you should get a reading of 13.6-14.9 volts.

this isnt a definitive test of the r/r but typically when they go bad the running voltage will be >14.9 but not always. sometimes this higher charging voltage is sporadic so as mentioned its not a true test of specifically the r/r. if its over 14.9 tho you can bet its the r/r.

for a more detailed testing procedure of the r/r and all the charging system components reference the link.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1926 View Post
Dix you check the reg/rectifier and voltage while it's running? Just kidding, wanted to be an echo on this thread one more time.

Rev it up while you test it, not just at idle. Around 4000rpm you can notice well behaved voltage at low rpm suddenly go nuts at higher rpm.

Lithium batteries are great, and so damn expensive.

Thanks guys. I won't be able to test anything on it until I get another battery though.. which I thought was going to be here soon, but seems there's a hold up in shipping
post #9 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
itd be amazing if youd come back in a year or so n let us know how she hold up.

ive had the shorai lithium iron that was in my 954 when i bought it in there for the 2 years ive had it plus the year the po had it. i live in s indiana and the winters are brutal. its been left in the bike, in a non environmentally controlled pole barn without ever using a battery tender. it has yet to fail me. i did start it once in the dead of winter on a below 0 degree day just to see how it would do. it was slow but after a couple tries built up the voltage n fired up.

anyway, id be interested in long term review.

btw, what did happen to the gel? did it just get hot n bulge like that or....

I think when I bought my lithium ion, you pointed out to me that it was not the same as my Shorai Lithium Iron. I bought the WPS and that thing has been working well for me, this winter being three years since I bought it. The WPS starts every time on the first crank even in the coldest of winter. I've had my Shorai for 4 years now. The thing still starts like a champ but only in warm weather. I've never put either of them on any kind of tender or charger and I neglect them both horribly. The Shorai is a good purchase, and the WPS is a great purchase. I say great because it was about 50% less then the Shora without the flaws and some perks. You can see the battery life by pressing a little button on the WPS. I hope it last as long as the Shorai. I've heard that the new Shorai's starts immediately in cold weather now but even with that the price does not compare.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
I think when I bought my lithium ion, you pointed out to me that it was not the same as my Shorai Lithium Iron. I bought the WPS and that thing has been working well for me, this winter being three years since I bought it. The WPS starts every time on the first crank even in the coldest of winter. I've had my Shorai for 4 years now. The thing still starts like a champ but only in warm weather. I've never put either of them on any kind of tender or charger and I neglect them both horribly. The Shorai is a good purchase, and the WPS is a great purchase. I say great because it was about 50% less then the Shora without the flaws and some perks. You can see the battery life by pressing a little button on the WPS. I hope it last as long as the Shorai. I've heard that the new Shorai's starts immediately in cold weather now but even with that the price does not compare.
good to know sabotage. i think i may give the wps a try next go around.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 4:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Check all of the connectors, plugs, and wires from the stator to the regulator for heat as well.

I suspect that most people have repeat failures of these parts because there is a burnt connector somewhere in the circuit that doesn't get addressed. Any resistance or open wires between the stator and regulator will cause it to fail, along with the battery and stator sometimes too.

I had a stator wire come loose from the plug under the seat, and it killed the regulator and kept blowing main fuses. The regulator and stator plugs were also melted and discolored, not sure if that was from a previous failure or not. Fixed them up, replaced the regulator, and it's been fine since.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-16-2016, 8:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
.. The WPS starts every time on the first crank even in the coldest of winter. I've had my Shorai for 4 years now. The thing still starts like a champ but only in warm weather. I've never put either of them on any kind of tender or charger and I neglect them both horribly. The Shorai is a good purchase, and the WPS is a great purchase...
That's good to know. I hope mine performs as well. I did the WPS, but chose this one because it was more affordable. If it doesn't perform well then the WPS might be my next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
Check all of the connectors, plugs, and wires from the stator to the regulator for heat as well.

I suspect that most people have repeat failures of these parts because there is a burnt connector somewhere in the circuit that doesn't get addressed. Any resistance or open wires between the stator and regulator will cause it to fail, along with the battery and stator sometimes too.

I had a stator wire come loose from the plug under the seat, and it killed the regulator and kept blowing main fuses. The regulator and stator plugs were also melted and discolored, not sure if that was from a previous failure or not. Fixed them up, replaced the regulator, and it's been fine since.
good stuff Atimm, thanks for sharing.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-26-2016, 2:35 AM Thread Starter

battery finally arrived yesterday after shipping delays. here's a pic of it:

this thing is ridiculously light! I'm not sure that it weighs over 1 lb although manufacturer claims it weighs 2.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-26-2016, 7:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

These are awesome! Really light weight and strong cranking. I accidentally let my shorai drain all the way and needed the shorai charger ($80). But it charged right up. They have a computer or something in them that won't allow a charge from a post-connected charger once theyre completely drained. On year 2 right now.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-26-2016, 9:49 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

The last two LiPo batteries I bought (different bikes) have been the EarthX brand. They have circuitry in them that once they get to a certain discharge level, they shut off. You don't need their charger to restore the battery, you just need to get 12V on the terminals. So a smart charger won't do it but you can take another battery to get 12V to it and then connect a charger to it. A much better system than requiring a special charger to get the battery working again.

On two of the bikes I needed a adapter kit to get the terminal posts where I needed them to work with the stock wiring. The EarthX offers this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page