Bikemaster chains? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Bikemaster chains?

Worth a go, or rubbish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-13-2016, 9:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Bikemaster chains?

tough call. bikemaster makes some pretty decent oem grade stuff.

however, my philosophy is there are three things you never go cheap on with a sportbike; chains, brakes, and tires.

typically ive found RK to be the best quality you can get but ill admit this last round i went with a JT brand chain ive not used before for a couple reasons. ive found JT sprockets to be as good if not the best quality sprockets money can buy and i figured since they do in fact manufacture the chains in house they too would carry that quality ive come to expect. also because it was a bit cheaper than my typical RK chain/JT sprocket set up. so far ive been pretty happy with it but it doesnt quite have the same smoothness in feel i get from the RK chain. its too early to tell how itll hold up in the long run.

i guess my point is while the JT chain seems to be doing a good job i think i can feel a difference vs. the RK and ill be going back to RK when this one is done.

i just think where chains are concerned i want the best because its a pretty long wearing item and of crucial importance not only for day to day operation but safety as well.

my advice is go with one of the three big names. RK, DID, or EK. yes its gonna cost more but you wont find a better operating, longer lasting, or more reliable chain than the gold RK imo. def splurge n get the gold. it resist rust far better than the plain oem type steel.

sprocket center for the win too btw. these prices are very competitive. pretty sure they ship worldwide. imo best to replace sprockets and chains as a set. a half ass worn set of sprockets will chew up a nice new chain up double time, and vise versa.

http://sprocketcenter.com/street-spr...2000-2003.html

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 06-13-2016 at 9:37 PM.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 9:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post

however, my philosophy is there are three things you never go cheap on with a sportbike; chains, brakes, and tires.

typically ive found RK to be the best quality you can get but ill admit this last round i went with a JT brand chain ive not used before for a couple reasons. ive found JT sprockets to be as good if not the best quality sprockets money can buy and i figured since they do in fact manufacture the chains in house they too would carry that quality ive come to expect. also because it was a bit cheaper than my typical RK chain/JT sprocket set up. so far ive been pretty happy with it but it doesnt quite have the same smoothness in feel i get from the RK chain. its too early to tell how itll hold up in the long run.

i guess my point is while the JT chain seems to be doing a good job i think i can feel a difference vs. the RK and ill be going back to RK when this one is done.

i just think where chains are concerned i want the best because its a pretty long wearing item and of crucial importance not only for day to day operation but safety as well.

my advice is go with one of the three big names. RK, DID, or EK. yes its gonna cost more but you wont find a better operating, longer lasting, or more reliable chain than the gold RK imo. def splurge n get the gold. it resist rust far better than the plain oem type steel.

sprocket center for the win too btw. these prices are very competitive. pretty sure they ship worldwide. imo best to replace sprockets and chains as a set. a half ass worn set of sprockets will chew up a nice new chain up double time, and vise versa.

CBR 929/954 2000-2003 - Honda - STREET
I saw a great deal on ebay for JT 15/45 (both steel) but the chain is a Bikemaster, which I'd not heard of. It's a 520 O ring

The majority of my riding is city, I'll give it a good accelerating blast around the ring roads, but rarely am I over 100mph, if that changes anything???

Also saw a 'Hyperfast' kit which uses Vortex sprockets and an RK chain. They didn't note the rear sprocket size but I assume its the same 15/45 set up

Is 108 enough considering the sprocket change? Or do I need longer linked?

Last edited by 954bladed; 06-14-2016 at 9:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954bladed View Post
I saw a great deal on ebay for JT 15/45 (both steel) but the chain is a Bikemaster, which I'd not heard of. It's a 520 O ring

The majority of my riding is city, I'll give it a good accelerating blast around the ring roads, but rarely am I over 100mph, if that changes anything???

Also saw a 'Hyperfast' kit which uses Vortex sprockets and an RK chain. They didn't note the rear sprocket size but I assume its the same 15/45 set up

Is 108 enough considering the sprocket change? Or do I need longer linked?
108 links should be enough for a -1+2 sprocket set up. typically if you buy a set they will be sure you have enough chain to fit it to the bike.

vortex makes good stuff but i would avoid the aluminum sprockets. they will wear much faster than the steel.

also its my advise to just get an oem 530 pitch. paticularly for just regular street riding.

i know the 520 does weigh less and that added acceleration potential is appealing but its a very small boost. guys who are racing or doing track days like this mod because the lighter 520 set up does cut a couple tenths of a second off the total time it take your bike to accelerate up to speed. multiply that by how ever many turns are on the track you accelerate out of and you can shave seconds off a lap time. however, on the street your not trying to shave seconds off your commute to work or the trip to the corner store or even your time thru your fav canyon.

so imo there is really no practical reason to put a 520 kit on a street bike when a 530 is oem. these newer 520 kits are strong enough but regardless of tensile strength the 520 is still less material doing the work of the 530. its going to wear a lot faster. thats the trade off and imo its a bad trade for a street bike.

RK is def a better product than bikemaster. im not saying the bikemaster wont do the job but i can tell you its not as nice as the RK on any level.

post links to the kits youre considering n i will be happy to give you my 2cents on them. as i mentioned tho imo its best to spend the extra money n get something you can be sure is the best. did, rk, ek. sunstar, jt, driven, vortex.

thing is im sure a bikemaster chain is decent. im sure it works at an acceptable level when new. lets keep in mind the end game when you get closer to the end of its life. when youre trying to get those last few thousand miles out of it. in this portion of a chains life personally i would feel much better riding on a rk,did, or ek brand chain over anything budget friendly. its important anytime, over or under 100mph. if a chain breaks mid corner it is sometime a violent occurrence. it can easily cause you to lose control and should it happen as youre accelerating out of a corner can easily cause a wreck. there is a chance it can break and whip into your leg with enough force to cause serious damage. its not uncommon if a chain breaks for it to get wadded up in the front sprocket jamming and breaking the engine casing. thatd likely cost more to repair than the bike is worth or at the very least a tremendous amount of work and a fair chunk of cash.

of course these things could happen with a rk, did, or ek chain too, but imo if they are properly cared for your chances of this happening are, imo, much less likely to happen on a top end chain vs a budget type chain like a bikemaster. those are just my opinions. ive never researched the bikemaster chain and like i said they make decent products. i very much doubt they manufacture these chains tho. im sure they are made somewhere in china and branded with the bikemaster name n sold. im betting like most things in life you get what you pay for. chains are important. they arent like a set of oem replacement bikemaster mirrors or footpegs etc etc. this is a part than can cause you or your bike some serious harm if it breaks n for that reason much like tires and brakes i think you should drop the extra 50$ n get something you know is the best. something you can ride on without worrying if its going to fail at the worst possible time. these are high performance machines and in some places paticularly require high performance components. even if all you do is commute n hit the occasional sunday canyon.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 06-14-2016 at 11:25 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Hyper Fast 520 Vortex Chain Sprockets KIT FOR Honda CBR954RR 02 03 | eBay

That's the RK based kit. Yeah I know steel sprockets are the way to go. Not really that bothered about a 520 wearing faster, I'm sure that's going to be pretty marginal considering I'm riding sedately 90% of the time.

Bikemaster:

JT 520 O Ring Chain Sprocket KIT 15 45 FOR Honda CBR929RR 2000 2001 | eBay
post #6 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 12:20 PM

def like the rk kit over the bm. the rk gxw is a good chain and vortex does make good sprockets. i think itd be extra money well spent.

post #7 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 6:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
def like the rk kit over the bm. the rk gxw is a good chain and vortex does make good sprockets. i think itd be extra money well spent.
Yeah, if the feckin seller would ever bother his ass to reply on the tooth count on the rear! Pisses me right off, do they intentionally want to miss business?!
post #8 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 8:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Looks like 44 tooth to me.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 9:12 PM

might just give the 800# a call. i did notice the listing has a 15 tooth front sprocket but it looks like that rear sprocket part # got cut off.

1-800-983-2210

Monday-Friday 9AM to 6PM Eastern Time

post #10 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer frank View Post
Looks like 44 tooth to me.
those vortex part numbers should be in this format 251AS-43 with no dashes or spaces in the tooth count. on the sellers other listing for the same kit with different sprocket sizes they are in correct format so i think its just a typo on the listing cutting the final number off the part number.

id def confirm with them one way or the other to be sure.

post #11 of 25 Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:

CBR 929/954 2000-2003 - Honda - STREET
Have you ever, used a Bike Master chain?

I use Kumho tires on my Silverado and they're better than the Goodyear Wranglers I had on it. Better is such a weak word. I got 30,000 more miles on the Kumho, in spite of there being a $26 difference on each tire, the savings and the better tire was and is Kumho. I am an aggressive hard stop and go driver. Call it an acid test. I also tow a heavy trailer with a Jeep in it.

I have used RK chains and Bike Master chains. Cost on the Bike Master is about $68.00. I get it from a friend. I have had no problems with either chain company, and I would continue to save myself $40 and get the Bike Master having tried it first hand. I ride my bike however, conservatively.

There are people who used Bike Master at the local drag strip. They complained of short life under hard acceleration (1/4 mile under 10 sec passes) as noted by frequent chain adjustments.

So if you plan to drag race, get a drag race chain, not a street chain. If you don't ride like a drag racer, you will save money.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 AM

i stated that i havent used the bikemaster brand chain in a previous post. im not saying its a bad piece of kit but if i were to bet the farm on which is better between bikemaster and rk, my money would be on the rk.

i understand not everyone thinks a chain warrants spending money on top quality and only said it was my opinion that you should. i also like michelin and dunlop tires.

its my opinion the 27$ more on the rk kit he listed over the bikemaster kit is a good investment.

Last edited by 954Kevin; 06-15-2016 at 12:38 AM.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 AM

Dunflops are only found at Harley Dealerships in these parts. I like Michelin on my motorcycle, not on my truck. If I had a Lexus, I'd try them.

I had only questioned your comment, RK is def a better product than bikemaster. im not saying the bikemaster wont do the job but i can tell you its not as nice as the RK on any level.

The level is nearly equal, if someone who commutes or likes to go on a cruise, not look for banging through the gears missing second gear half the time in their excitement.

You mentioned safety. A 530 Bike Master chain is absolutely safe, equally to your RK / JT preference, so you kind of took it way too far. They sell thousands of chains and a 10,000 lb chain is going to be all the safety one needs.

530 BMOR Series Sealed Chain - Chains
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 12.51.51 AM.png‎  

Last edited by 1926; 06-15-2016 at 12:52 AM.
post #14 of 25 Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 AM

nearly equal still isnt equal.

i read that some bikemaster chains are actually made by rk and some of their brand are manufactured in malaysia. of the ones that rk manufactures for bikemaster brand id think they save the money on manufacturing cost somewhere. im sure they are fine for a sport touring bike or someone who strictly goes easy on a sportbike. is it as good as the rk? i doubt it. in turn is the rk a safer chain? i believe so, but i wasnt saying bikemaster was unsafe just that rk is safer simply based on quality.

obviously im not a chain scientist so im not stating facts but its my opinion the rk is better. for me, having the best chain i can find gives me one less thing to be concerned about when im riding hard.

Last edited by 954Kevin; 06-15-2016 at 1:09 AM.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-15-2016, 1:12 AM

that 520 kit he linked was for a bmor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page