Engine swapped. Wiring help. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-14-2016, 7:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 4

Engine swapped. Wiring help.

Hey guys and gals. I just acquired a 1996 Fireblade with a '98 motor in it. You're probably thinking "Oh boy I bet stuff doesn't work!" LOL.You're right. I know more or less what I need but seeing as I am new to Honda's I just wanted to double check with y'all. What I know I need to sort the issues I have is a wiring harness and a cluster from a '98. Looking at the wiring diagrams it appears the cdi wiring changed so I will need that as well. What about the fan wiring harness? Anything else I am missing? I assume (I know where that gets me) the controls will be okay? Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any answers.

Last edited by shadowfocus603; 06-14-2016 at 9:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-15-2016, 8:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Engine swapped. Wiring help.

Don't know if this helps or not?
A "jobber" does a job. Bulb, ECU, fan, etc. So the idea is 'wire in is wire out' and what is in between those wires is the jobber. The easy part of wire-in-wire-out is that it takes a ground and takes a hot to run the [jobber] fan.

The 3rd variable is the 3rd wire being the trigger. So the fan's posi might be wired to the water temp sensor and that sensor usually has 3 wires... hot-ground-trigger the fan. So the fan's hot wire is going to be triggered by a water temp threshold and thus turns the fan on.

So you need to figure out who is the 3rd trigger wire if the fan [jobber] only has 2 wires... if it calls for one or not? See that 3rd wire as well with the kill switch to spark box?
post #3 of 3 Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Re: Engine swapped. Wiring help.

I put a 94 or 95 893 motor in my 98 frame. The 893 motor ran perfectly, but was leaking coolant into the oil so I had to remove it.

The pickup coil plug on the 893 was the same, and worked just fine with my 98 CDI and wiring. The tach on my 98 cluster worked fine too.

For some reason the oil and neutral lights didn't work. Not sure why, the pinouts may have been different. These are very simple circuits though, not hard to figure out.

The older bikes have a smaller stator, but I believe 96-99 are the same, and should be plug and play as well.

The VSS will be an issue, 96-97 were on the sprocket cover, while the 98 used a sensor in the case behind the starter. You can use the 98 sensor, but you will need a speedo healer for it to be accurate.

I also swapped an 94 893 radiator to my 98, and the fan wiring was the same. Plug and play.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page