Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Oh man, I messed up.

995 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  unslow1 
#1 ·
While doing some modifications on my 2007 cbr1000rr, I slipped up and cut some of my wire harness. Trying to take shortcuts really bit me in the behind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

These 3 wires are cut. There are no markings on any. All are yellow. I could fix the cut, but have no idea which wires connect to each other. I'm dreading having to buy a new harness since these wires run into the left side of the engine. What should I do?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Generally speaking on Honda sportbikes (and many other Honda's). The 3 solid yellows are the AC wires coming out of the stator, which is also generally on the left side cover of the motor.

Strip the insulation back on each, get wire of the same gauge to make up the gap and spice them back together. Shouldn't matter which goes to which, as they all go into the regulator/rectifier.

#7 ·
If you follow the wires into that dark sheathing you'll probably see the 3 pin connector that then connects the yellows to the black heat sink (your regulator/rectifier) which is barely visible in your photo. It doesn't matter which one's get spliced to each other, as I said they all go to the same place. You should be good to go.

No hero, just a 900RR Honda junky is all :thumb:

Good luck.

#6 ·
Well, I'm putting frame sliders on, took the right side fairings off. Messed up the symmetry on the cut, decided to move the wire I saw on the left side instead of removing the fairing. I failed to see the other set of wires. I feel like an idiot because idk how many times I've taken those fairings off, but I completely forgot about them.

#8 · (Edited)
ill second ians advice. these 3 can go any way as long as its yellow to yellow. : ) my only addition is do a good job splicing them together. heat shrink tubing and solder would be the best option. butt connectors if you gotta but here is the thing. these wires carry a full load of current and they are designed barely big enough to do that job under optimal conditions. butt connectors being made of a different type of metal tend to create a point where corrosion will build up. that leaves less conductivity which in turn leaves kind of a bottleneck that causes heat to build up and these wires are already warm. much over taxing will melt them down. so... do a good job splicing in and then protecting that splice as best you can with a good bit of heat shrink tubing. you can get a cheap soldering set up and the stuff you need to do it right for about 20$. then watch a few youtube videos on the process. its not very difficult n you can master the skill with a couple practice runs. or maybe you have an electrician friend who can help. : ) good luck on your repair!

#10 ·
no problem. you dont hafta look hard to find threads on melted down charging system wires. most are caused by a faulty r/r but as mentioned these wires get pretty warm to the touch when operating perfectly so its a good idea to take the extra steps n help prevent any possible issues further down the road.

#11 ·
You could also get a crimping tools and connector/joiners if you don't feel confident enough to use a solder Iron. Not a great deal of money, I would use some electrical tap though.

I done this years ago fitting an R6 regulator to a Firestorm ( I think it was an R6 regulator )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.