compression test 954rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2016, 5:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 4

compression test 954rr

Could anybody be kind enough to give me some advice please, I purchased a compression test kit today from ebay and i am having a hard time using the m10 1.0 thread, it will not screw in fully

Is this thread m10 - 1.25?

Could explain things.

Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2016, 9:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: compression test 954rr

Any photos of the kit? How much can you get away with by grinding the hand spin knurling part on the hose? Is that the clearance problem? I sent a tube down a gutted spark plug, soldered it in, spun that down the spark plug hole and used a hand held type rubber tipped tester over the flared tub that was soldered in the plug.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-24-2016, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

The plugs are indeed M10x1.0.

They only need to thread in far enough for the O-ring to make contact.

There is a chance that your adapter has a burr on the threads or they are not cut properly. Try another tester and see if that works.

The plug threads in the head are soft and can be damaged somewhat easily. Don't force anything that may be cross threaded or you'll really screw the pooch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2016, 6:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for getting back to me guys,

Here is the link to the kit i bought you should be able to zoom over the image to get a better look at them. i did use a guage from my tap and dye kit and it it sure is m10 1.0 but from looking at the plugs thread it looks angled slightly compared to the straight cut thread of the compression piece.

Petrol Engine Compression Tester Test Kit Gauge Car Motorcycle Garage Tool UK | eBay

I dont think i am getting the tight seal as it takes probably a turn and it stops.

Ive just purchased another 1 which i feel should work alot better for me as the first kit just wasnt strong enough to make the thread screw due to the pipe bending due to the length and angle.

This is the 1 i had just purchased - what do you think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petrol-Eng...gAAOSweW5VYK1T

Last edited by davebelcher; 06-25-2016 at 7:16 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2016, 9:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

I have always used something like this, but I don't know what you guys have available over there.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5606-Comp.../dp/B000R5CPAQ

Keep in mind that any adapters or hoses before the Shrader valve in the tester effectively decreases your compression ratio and will give you false low readings. It's especially bad on small displacement engines. I'm not sure if it's enough to matter on a 954, but it's something to keep in mind.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2016, 1:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok thank you for that info, i will see how i get on with this other kit when i receive it sometime early next week.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2016, 5:28 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebelcher View Post
Thank you for getting back to me guys,

Here is the link to the kit i bought you should be able to zoom over the image to get a better look at them. i did use a guage from my tap and dye kit and it it sure is m10 1.0 but from looking at the plugs thread it looks angled slightly compared to the straight cut thread of the compression piece.

Petrol Engine Compression Tester Test Kit Gauge Car Motorcycle Garage Tool UK | eBay
I have a kit very similar to that and no problems with the adapters fitting. I'd very carefully check the threads on the adapter, particularly the first turn to ensure there's no obvious defects or damage. Mesh the adapter threads with the threaded portion of a spark plug and hold it up to the light to see how accurate the thread pitch is. If that looks good it's possibly been machined slightly oversize, a set of verniers would tell you this if you have any.

My kit works ok; I'm not convinced about the absolute accuracy of the gauge but it's fine for comparing cylinders.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2016, 7:23 PM Thread Starter

I did put them both up to each other and tbh i did notice the plugs thread is at a slight angle compared to the compression thread where as that is straight , The thread seemed fine and clean but just did not want to seat as easily as the spark plug

I decided i did not want to go any further given the fact of the obvious so i stopped.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page