'95 900rr Tank Venting Issue - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

'95 900rr Tank Venting Issue

Hi Gents
This is a puzzler!
I have confirmed the vent line through the tank is clear. I can hear compressed air escaping into the tank with the cap opened - so it's venting right?

Well today on a 100 mile ride I stopped for fuel. When I opened the cap the tank had so much pressure it was crushing itself! ON much shorter rides I can hear the air flow when I open the cap but nothing of this magnitude.

If the line is clear how in the world can the tank be gaining negative pressure? Not sure what I'm missing - help!

Thanks for any advice

Edit: After further research I may confused the two vent lines. I assumed the larger line is the vent - is this the overflow? Meaning the smaller line is the tank vent and is plugged?

Last edited by Old_Bourbon; 06-25-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-26-2016, 12:49 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: '95 900rr Tank Venting Issue

Larger hose/nipple is overflow - small hose/nipple is vent

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
post #3 of 4 Old 06-26-2016, 1:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
What are your thoughts on going with one of the Vortex fuel caps? Instead of trying to unplug the line in the tank that may be fragile from years of sitting I could just plug the nipple on the tank and rely on the vortex for venting?

I can just see the lines in the tank and they look a bit "rough". I think the overflow is OK but the smaller one - ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2016, 1:00 PM

Yes, a votex and call it a day. Leave the brittle parts alone.

The 100mi tour is hot air expanding that is being tackled from under is the engine heat and the sun beating down on it as you ride an empty tank.
100mi = Pressure expanding pops the cap up. Pressure is able to push the fuel down and out the petcock = 100mi think.
1 mile or less = Vacuum is going to vapor lock the air you can't pull the cap up and that is no flow = Top off the tank and there is the least amount of air about to lock the flow even faster = 1mi or less.

Make sense?

How-to distinguish between a 2 and 3 fuel tank pipe nipple ends:

Use a long hose to blow in a nipple as you have the cap up and your ear/face close to the opening. Visually look at the first two pipe opening ends at the top of the tank filler opening.

1. Small tube: Looking down at the tank's recess well or the bottom of the neck. There is an-overflow hole. This is for washing/caught in rain/filled gas over the neck; drains to the ground.

2. Large tube: This is where the cap is still up, you see an oring around the filler neck someplace? Blow in the large nipple end and air should be sent out the hole around that oring.

3. Cali tube: This optional nipple sits up at the ceiling of the tank and captures vapor.

Tank venting ideas:

A. Horseshoe the weather vent tube to the large gas cap vent tube.. no air filtering unless you pencil strand out a cotton ball and shove it up the tube. Rain/wash water sits in that horseshoe and will be sucked in = High maintenance.
B. Run a hose from large tube up the tail end, zip-tie a cotton ball over the hose end for filtering.
C. Run the nipples open and let the liquids fall where it may. Zip-tie a cotton ball over the big nipple end(s).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page