929 - battery exploded... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2016, 8:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 - battery exploded...

Earlier today I noticed my (new) stator connector is melted just like the old one. Reg/rect was also replaced last year. Looking up the issue it seems like one of those commonly accepted issues that this bike has ... the advice seems consistent: cut the connector out and solder the wires together. So I did that, the bike ran great.

Then my low beams went, so I switched to high, thinking it was just co-incidence and I needed to replace the bulb. Then my high-beams went. Since it was only 15-20 min home I thought I'd try to get home as safely as possible and investigate tomorrow.

While on the highway the bike dies. I try bump starting it a few times while I'm still at speed, no go. Stop the bike, notice there's smoke everywhere. White, acrid ****. Streaming hard from under the seat.
Pull the seat, there's a wet substance all over the place and my battery looks cooked.

It kept smoking for another few minutes, I got away from the bike because I could tell that smoke was definitely not meant to be inhaled. Just got it towed home and I took another look... the battery is definitely toast.. it literally exploded.

I checked my soldered wires, they look totally fine. No burn marks, the tape on them hasn't been melted or anything.

Anyone seen this before and have any idea what could cause it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Reputation Power: 4

Re: 929 - battery exploded...

Classic case of over-charging is what it sounds like to me. Your regulator was dumping way too much voltage to the battery.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2016, 12:44 PM

I'd be pouring a straight vinegar solution back there. Wash off with dollar store coke or root beer directly poured over the vinny solution. Then hosed off. Everything is going to be eaten away and turns a white powder wherever that was peppered on.

Blade will correct me. Say the scenario was a loss at the vo/reg wires and it wasn't a yellow. Say the connections were good, the reg failed. Since the AC was hooked to the reg anyway, it was a direct AC path over the wires, thru the wires, outside the DTT box, we are talking AC had a path and jumped over the reg that could no longer DTT.

DTT machines Discharge that excess... Triggers that Threshold to the battery and ground... Repeats. The reg could no longer regulate the excess volts, so E began the chemical reaction of boiling the water and acid solution inside. This boiling buckles the plates, separates the plates, plates have these huge bubbles breaking all this up inside; the heat takes out the battery case and expands it; finds a crack out the case; the breather hole and crack couldn't pass that gas out fast enough = BOOM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2016, 8:41 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

This is a classic reg/rect failure. Excessive voltage has burnt out the headlamps bulbs (check tail and instruments bulbs as well) and boiled the battery acid until the safety valve within the battery has blow and allowed the pressure to escape (along with a load of acid).

Vinegar is an acid itself, and is therefore useless to neutralise other acids. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is a common household chemical that will help to neutralise acid if you mix a solution with water.

Irrespective of whether you use bicarb, you must flush the affected area with LOTS of water. Don't ignore this, significant damage can result from battery acid spills.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2016, 5:25 AM

My battery exploded once then battery's breathing pipe was blocked. Also I would check voltage from alternator, or your new regulator was bad again.

Last edited by vitobelas; 07-04-2016 at 5:39 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page