The 1000rr is sweet man - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

The 1000rr is sweet man

I saw one at the CycleWorld show, spinning around on the carousel but I didn't get to sit on one and fully check it out until today. It's very nice, looks really put together, fit and finish is excellent, the quality looked better than Honda's stuff in the past. Maybe that is just me but the bike looked and felt solid. All this stuff about the radical ergos weren't true. Not for me anyways, I'm 6'2" and the riding position felt nice. The rearsets/footpegs felt natural, and I could tell the bars were lower, after sitting back to back with a 954rr, but it felt good enough, and better than BDA's love ('04 R1). As we've all read, there is 0 room in the tail, zilch. A wallet would fit on the right, a cellphone (small one) on the left, and nothing more. Throw a PCIIIr back there, and whatever other box (Speedo recal., tail integrator, etc) and it's done completely. The dash is really sweet, the levers were too high (not uncommon until you adjust them to your liking), seat is better than the 954rr, softer. What else? One of the hoses on the bottom of the bike is routed through the right side lower, not underneath. Maybe this dealership just jacked that up Idle adjustment is on the left instead of the right.... Bike looks and feels tiny, steering damper looks bulky, screen needs to be a little higher, radiator is massive, the fenderectomy looks real easy to do, and the rear resevoir is kind of trick. Overall I was really impressed, the bike feels nice perched on top of it. From what I've read, I expected sort of a rack, the seat to bars worked for me. To me, the quality is what I remember. The bike really looks well put together, the mirrors are kind of a new design at the base also. Quality product.

I talked to the owner, kind of know the guy already, he wanted me to buy it, but I wasn't going to pay MSRP + $800 freight/setup + TTL. I said "I'm not a sucker and you know that." This is the same guy that thought I was bullshitting when i gave them the invoice on it, until he checked it himself
He said "I've sold everyone R1 for that" , I told him to call me when the suckers are done spending their money and he laughed. Someone needs to give us a ride report If you are buying one, I don't think you'll be disappointed, it's a very sweet machine. And oh yeah, that grey lower, you don't even think about it, it looks sweet in person, it's a small bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 9:28 AM

Re: The 1000rr is sweet man

I sat on one yesterday and I agree with everything Booth said (except I still don't like the gray lower panel). I definitely think the black one will be sweet!

Booth - did you notice the appearance of a much longer wheelbase as I did? The longer swingarm and tail really stood out to me, making the bike look long and lean.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 9:58 AM
ER

For what it's worth...

I called the shop out here yesterday while on lunch to see if they had any R1s or CBRs on the floor for me to see in person. The guy I talked to is pretty much the only guy there I trust (he was the one who came over to my place and helped me remove and install my forks). He was all over the CBR's jock. In his words, "You don't want to see or ride the bike, because you'll buy it. The suspension is the best I've ever experienced on a stock bike. I've ridden modified bikes with Ohlins and this felt every bit as good. It's comfortable, has plenty of power, and is planted." Hey, it's only his opinion, but it was worth hearing, as he's been a die-hard Yamaha R1/FZ1 rider for years. He's been bashing Honda for 3 years now. I was definitely surprised to hear what he had to say.

Hey, everyone is going to have an opinion and only you can decide for yourself which bike you like, but I found it interesting to hear this from a competent rider and mechanic who's bashed Honda for years. Personally, the ZX-10 has attracted my attention the most. I think it's going to be the best track/race platform.

Edit: Oh yeah, kudos to you for using the invoice price to set these dealers straight. If they call your bluff, ask to see their dealer information ON HONDA LETTERHEAD. You might as well have one tell you to your face that he's not willing to sell the bike for less than xxxx rather than try and tack on bogus setup fees to take you as an uninformed buyer.

Last edited by ER; 03-31-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 10:14 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Just got off the phone w/ my dealer to see if they got one in yet. Came in yesterday, and it's already gone They're getting their next one in 2 wks, hopefully I can get in there and sit on one before it's OTD
post #5 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
I sat on one yesterday and I agree with everything Booth said (except I still don't like the gray lower panel). I definitely think the black one will be sweet!

Booth - did you notice the appearance of a much longer wheelbase as I did? The longer swingarm and tail really stood out to me, making the bike look long and lean.
Yep, long and lean, and the bike looks very small.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER

Edit: Oh yeah, kudos to you for using the invoice price to set these dealers straight. If they call your bluff, ask to see their dealer information ON HONDA LETTERHEAD. You might as well have one tell you to your face that he's not willing to sell the bike for less than xxxx rather than try and tack on bogus setup fees to take you as an uninformed buyer.
It's not on Cyclecost yet, but I know a guy, anyway, I knew the invoice price. I talked to the parts guy while picking up some new caliper bolts, and he said they don't get their stuff crated to the dealership. Only older dealerships can have stuff crated, the newer ones have to pay some service to drop off the bikes, and they are already put together. And lastly he said, there is a local warehouse that puts the bikes together and transports them to the dealership. This could be true, but I just had a big smile on my face. These dealerships crack me up.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

I sat on one at the Cycle Show and the ergos felt great to me...more like you're sitting in the bike instead of on top of it.

My local dealer told me the same thing about using a setup service that handles many of the dealers in the region. The bikes arrive at the shop ready to go on the floor.

Booth...what is the invoice price for the 1000RR?

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #8 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Interesting Peter, maybe it wasn't bullshit
I didn't want to post the invoice in a thread but **** it! They've not helped me any $9479 is the invoice price. Don't know what the holdback is yet, probably 5% per normal. Both dealerships I've talked to want MSRP + $800 freight/prep + TTL.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
I didn't want to post the invoice in a thread but **** it! They've not helped me any $9479 is the invoice price. Don't know what the holdback is yet, probably 5% per normal. Both dealerships I've talked to want MSRP + $800 freight/prep + TTL.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Thanks Booth...I didn't stop to think about posting the price here since invoice pricing is readily available on the internet for just about everything these days. My local shop has a sign on their 1000RR for $11,500! I'm sure that doesn't include TTL either. I think the MSRP is $10,999...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #11 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is, it's $10,999 but who pays that other than suckers? I've never paid that for a bike, never will, nor for a cage. Ahhh, I want to rant but I won't I'm ready to buy one and ride it and can't. Patience young grasshoppa

Guys in the South east are getting them for $10.5k OTD to $11k OTD, that is what makes it sting.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 1:00 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
It's not on Cyclecost yet, but I know a guy, anyway, I knew the invoice price. I talked to the parts guy while picking up some new caliper bolts, and he said they don't get their stuff crated to the dealership. Only older dealerships can have stuff crated, the newer ones have to pay some service to drop off the bikes, and they are already put together. And lastly he said, there is a local warehouse that puts the bikes together and transports them to the dealership. This could be true, but I just had a big smile on my face. These dealerships crack me up.
I know my dealer uses this service. I've seen the delivery truck....they just roll the bikes out and they're ready to go. No crates anywhere.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 1:02 PM

Yep, I've seen them on trailers going down the highway all prepped and ready to go.

post #14 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 1:19 PM
ER

Your eagerness to have one is exactly the reason they're selling for MSRP. The dealers are going to sell them for whatever they can. The few R1s and CBRs at CVPS have sold for sticker. Why sell it to you at a discount when the know that someone else will walk through the door and pay what they ask? That's just another reason to wait until the Fall to buy one. By then, a recall might have been performed and you'll be able to get more feedback regarding all four bikes.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-31-2004, 1:21 PM
ER

Oh yeah, what about that shop in Mississippi that buys in bulk and sells at or below invoice?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page