CBR954 02, mind checking your ECM for me? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-16-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR954 02, mind checking your ECM for me?

I have a problem with my ignition - long story short, plugs get fouled real fast (6 - 8 weeks, 200 kilometers per week). I have checked all the usual stuff - FPR etc.
I have followed the manual and have found i am only getting 15 - 17 volts at the ECM for the ignition coil peak voltage - the manual says i should be getting a minimum of 100 volts.

Just in case my multimeter didn't have a high enough resolution i checked it with an oscilloscope - still 15 - 17 volts.

I am just about to pull apart the ECM to replace the capacitor, but before i go that far i was hoping someone might be able to do a capacitor check on their good ECM so i can confirm that my capacitor is no good?
I have attached pics on which wire to test.
The test is done with the key off.

Thanks in advance - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
20160717_124651.jpg‎   20160717_124730.jpg‎   20160717_124737.jpg‎   20160717_124745.jpg‎  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2016, 7:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: CBR954 02, mind checking your ECM for me?

Goddammit!!!
I feel like a bit of a knob now - just realised I have been checking the WRONG wire, DOH!!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2016, 7:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Will check tomorrow evening if thats ok as need to take seat off to check intermitant high beam

(edit so do i now as didnt't see your updated post and was going to check the wrong wire for you :-) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2016, 7:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapi69 View Post
Will check tomorrow evening if thats ok as need to take seat off to check intermitant high beam

(edit so do i now as didnt't see your updated post and was going to check the wrong wire for you :-) )
Thank you, I think I f'ed up, I need to check the coloured wires that go back to the ECM from the coils to see if they get over 100 volts. I suspect that they will be ok and I will need to go back and have another look at the fuel system.

Or simply replace all the coils - the coils have lost their tension tabs and I think that they may not be making a good connection with the spark plugs.

I was trying to eliminate the ignition system as faulty before I go and try replacing the FPR and the coils (FPR not leaking but not sure what else to do).

Thanks for the offer, I will get back to you tonight (New Zealand time) if I end up needing anything checked.

Cheers
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2016, 2:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Just tossing out a few ideas, disregard if they have already been checked/confirmed...

When you say that the "coils lost their tension tabs" do mean that the coils are kinda just "floating" and not seating properly on top of each sparkplug? Have you verified that you are actually seeing a spark for each coil/wire as well?

Are you running any sort of Power Commander or aftermarket fuel tuning device (if so, how's the map/tune - is it pig rich?) ?

I'm not one to throw parts at a problem to fix things either but if that FPR is the original one, it might not hurt to install a new one while you are digging around (more as part of "general maintenance" program, if you will).

G'luck troubleshooting, let us know how it gets resolved !

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2016, 6:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
Just tossing out a few ideas, disregard if they have already been checked/confirmed...

When you say that the "coils lost their tension tabs" do mean that the coils are kinda just "floating" and not seating properly on top of each sparkplug? Have you verified that you are actually seeing a spark for each coil/wire as well?

Are you running any sort of Power Commander or aftermarket fuel tuning device (if so, how's the map/tune - is it pig rich?) ?

I'm not one to throw parts at a problem to fix things either but if that FPR is the original one, it might not hurt to install a new one while you are digging around (more as part of "general maintenance" program, if you will).

G'luck troubleshooting, let us know how it gets resolved !
- "coils lost their tension tabs"
Yep they are just floating around - have been since i got the bike 2 years ago - not saying its right though.

I have checked for spark with the coils out and my spark - when i get it - is a crappy orange(checked using all 12 of my cleaned used plugs).

I have been using a PC3 with a "two brothers full system" map (with the PC3 manually leaned out). My actual exhaust is a kerker can with the exhaust valve fully open and the flapper secured open. Also have a DNA air filter.

Changed the oil and filter and carried out a valve adjustment about four months ago.
Fitted a manual cam chain tensioner at the same time.

Bypassed the exhaust servo using the "Servo replacement strategy" instructions from "Fireblades.org" (thank you to whoever wrote it).

Pretty sure the FPR is the original one, I would change that but I too am not one to do "swapnostics"(rather than diagnostics), rather be certain than throw money down the drain.

I just came out of the garage from testing the correct wires from the ECU to the coils and am getting between 115 - 187 volts on all coils depending on the RPM.

My next move is to get new coils - seems the next logical step.
going to take about 2 weeks for them to get here from ebay, but one good thing is the bike still goes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page