97 900rr electrical issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

97 900rr electrical issues

So, bike left me stranded about a hour after racing a new z06 Corvette on the i90. Got her home and one battery bank was dry. Bought a new battery and was broken down again the next day. Started checking connections and found burned plug on the starter relay, and corrosion coming out of the relay itself. Replaced relay and used insulated connectors to replace the melted plug. Thenext morning full battery was dead, ran tests with the multimeter and found regulator to have bad diodes. Ordered a cheap regulator, cause it looked like it had more heat sinks. Ran great for a couple days , regular testing with multimeter showed charging, then not charging. Only getting 12.5 v out of her now at 5k rpm. One output of the stator is barely doing anything. So, now I have to replace the stator too.
I'm wondering if this is common, and also if there's maybe something else going on here.
I got the 919 with 25k, now has 31k, and the engine deff isn't stock, but I don't know what was done to it. Not much power under 7k, have to bounce to wheelie even in 1st gear with -1+3 sprockets, but 7k to 13k she screams like a raped ape and is impressively fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 97 900rr electrical issues

Rule #1. Always pay a little more for OEM.
Rule #2. Never buy aftmrk vs. balanced system.
Rule #3. See the aftmrk money could have gone to the OE?

Stator is junk. V/R is junk. Batt needs a full charge.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-19-2016, 2:33 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: 97 900rr electrical issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittbull View Post
So, bike left me stranded about a hour after racing a new z06 Corvette on the i90. Got her home and one battery bank was dry. Bought a new battery and was broken down again the next day. Started checking connections and found burned plug on the starter relay, and corrosion coming out of the relay itself. Replaced relay and used insulated connectors to replace the melted plug. Thenext morning full battery was dead, ran tests with the multimeter and found regulator to have bad diodes. Ordered a cheap regulator, cause it looked like it had more heat sinks. Ran great for a couple days , regular testing with multimeter showed charging, then not charging. Only getting 12.5 v out of her now at 5k rpm. One output of the stator is barely doing anything. So, now I have to replace the stator too.
I'm wondering if this is common, and also if there's maybe something else going on here.
I got the 919 with 25k, now has 31k, and the engine deff isn't stock, but I don't know what was done to it. Not much power under 7k, have to bounce to wheelie even in 1st gear with -1+3 sprockets, but 7k to 13k she screams like a raped ape and is impressively fast.
Pittbull, do a search of the .org This is the most common fail of the CBR AND MANY OTHER HONDA's. Stator, reg/rec, battery, starter solenoid melting, amount other connectors melting from the stator and reg/rec. Achilles heal, and sometimes frustrating if you decide not to replace all at once, or use cheap Chinese parts.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page