oil filter question... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-31-2004, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

oil filter question...

Sorry for the bandwidth if this posted previously with no body...

I just changed the oil on my '03 Fireblade for the first time. I have a socket(?) that fits over the end of the oil filter that I use for torquing the filter to spec, but I couldn't get it over the end of the filter, as the header pipe was in the way. I couldn't use it to get the filter off, so I had to go get a strap-type wrench. I could have used it to put the filter on, but if I would have slipped it over the end of the filter, then screwed it on, there's no way I could have gotten it off again. Has anyone else ever experienced this? How did you get around it? Is everyone just hand-tightening the filter three-quarters of a turn, and not using a torque wrench? Is there a strap-type wrench that you can put a torque wrench on and get an accurate measure? Has anyone modified their "filter socket" to make it work, i.e. shaving about a quarter-inch off so it will fit between the filter and header? And is 20 ft/lbs the real measurment?! That seems really tight to me, as my VFR is like 8 ft/lbs.

Any help is much appreciated. Don't want to blowing oil all over the place when I take off.

Thanks!

Last edited by monkey; 03-31-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2004, 10:56 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: oil filter question...

First, are you sure you are using the right filter? The part # is 15410-MCJ-000. It's a tight fit but a cap wrench will fit from the side.

I hand tighten mine. 16,000 trouble free miles so far.

Last edited by Skully; 03-31-2004 at 10:56 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2004, 11:06 PM

on the 929, most cap wrenches that you buy at a local auto parts store won't fit because of the headers. I took a grinder to mine. I only use it to take the filter off; I hand tighten it back on.

I think if you buy the official honda oil filter wrench, it fits, but its a lot more expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-31-2004, 11:21 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Yes, some people have modified a filter cap wrench so it would fit between the filter and the headers. Honda sells a filter wrench with a cut out that lets you slip in on and off the filter while it is in place.

I use one that I purchased from Sears. It has jaws the grip the filter as you turn it. I just use the wrench to break it loose. I hand tighten the filter, and I've had no problems. I do always safety wire it, as I am always doing track days. It has never loosened yet.

I used to make a drip router shield from a piece of tin foil to keep the oil from dripping on the header. Now, I just usually just unscrew the filter, and wipe the pipes down afterwards. I have the lower completely removed.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 2:46 AM

I hand tightened mine too. I should safety wire it. I did place one large dot of white out at the 12 o'clock position so I can look through the header and tell if that bad boy is unscrewing during pre/post-flight inspections.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 3:23 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Firstly make sure you are using the right part number. In it's physical form it's quite short and stubby. There are other similar models that will fit but are too long so they will interfer with the headers when you put it on.

Apart from that, erm .. are u being a bit too Anal with torquing the oil filter? You should be able to hand tighten them with no worries and can just put a stripe on them (hand marker) if you're worried about it coming lose.

I just use ye old Mk I hand torque wrench and never have any troubles. What's better is they're free!
post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 9:33 AM

Reputation Power: 18

2 things.........

1) Use channelocks to take the filter off, you probably have them already and it's easy to do on most bikes.

2) The MM9 and MCJ filters (the most common Honda filters and one is what we use on the 929-954-RC etc) bottom the filter case on the block. Hand tighten them and they will stop for you. You don't need a torque wrench. If you keep cranking down with a tool, you just deform the filter casing.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 10:20 AM

Reputation Power: 20

I use the Honda filter cap without any problems. Turn the front wheel, place the cap over the filter, attach the extension to the cap and then pop the torque wrench on.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Although I just hand tighten mine now, I don't think you are being too anal by wanting to check the torque. Your life could depend on that filter not coming off at the wrong moment. I see it as critically important. On a single track vehicle, there are lots of things that could put you on your head if they went wrong, versus a car, where you would probably just coast to a stop. I try to treat it more like an airplane, maintenance wise.

I torqued mine a few times to get the feel of it and make sure about how far to turn it to get it tight, just for peace of mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page