Okay! Moment of truth for 929 pc v & tuning results! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-07-2016, 2:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Okay! Moment of truth for 929 pc v & tuning results!

Hello friends,

Okay a while back I started this thread below:-

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...cbr-929-a.html

I have posted the update for that thread as this new thread, it made sense to me.

Simply, I had my uk 929 with 24 k on the clock in the garage for some work being done, including service, mot, new Pipewerx end can, exhaust work, power commander v fitted, dynoed and tuned up, as well as front forks new seals, bushes and oil, the works etc.

Attached below is a picture of the end can, and the all important dyno chart.

Whilst I remember, the bike has had new oil, and they have used Motul semi synthetic. I put this info here, as neither in the Honda owners manual or the official service manual, does it specify whether to use semi or fully synthetic. The tuner's take on it is that semi is best for a road going only Honda of this age. I hope this information alone is of use to people. There is perhaps a little controversy over oil etc. in some threads. I am fine with semi synth.

Finally, and most controversially, we have the dynoing and tuning work results. The bike was dynoed with the exup valve and flapper intact in the air box, i.e. stock positions for both. It was dynoed with the flapper removed, exup intact. It was dynoed with flapper intact, exup removed. It was dynoed with both exup and flapper removed. All with the new end can fitted. Which position yielded the best results according to the tuners? The stock position, with both exup and flapper intact. Otherwise, there was apparently a large flat spot at 7000 revs, which couldn't be ironed out. It was also fitted with a k and n air filter too.

I was surprised too. As the tuners said, it was not typical. So the chart below shows the blue current map on the pc v after tuning, and the red previous map before tuning - I hope this makes sense.

The picture of the can is just for your perusal, I hope you like it, it sounds very good, particularly with a bit of power on.

In terms of the bike, I have only had it back for a few days. The fuelling is definitely different, you can feel it straight away, the clutch work you did in low gear at low revs just isn't needed anymore. It feels even more linear than it did before, bearing in mind how Honda's put their power down. Still early days, not much more I can say at the moment. The tacho needle jumps around now a little on idle, not like previous where it was rock solid once warm, but I am guessing that is the pc v doing its thing.

Be very interested to read any opinions. I hope this is of use to people.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0143.JPG‎   005.jpg‎  

Last edited by TheGSL; 08-18-2016 at 6:34 PM. Reason: accuracy of dynoing report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Re: Okay! Moment of truth for 929 pc v & tuning results!

I've had a Pipewerx can on a previous bike, ZX9r, baffle out it was seriously ear bashing at certain revs, think 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, nice cans, and a free tshirt too.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-08-2016, 2:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I've had a Pipewerx can on a previous bike, ZX9r, baffle out it was seriously ear bashing at certain revs, think 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, nice cans, and a free tshirt too.
You're right about the certain revs Spaz, it really does sound tremendous with some power on. Not too loud, but a really good head turning roar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-08-2016, 5:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Had a Pipewerx shorty on a ZX12r, sounded like the hounds of hell and actually vibrated the entire row of houses crockery lol

My old 929 had a bouncy idle after deleting the valve, so I wouldn't worry much about it
post #5 of 23 Old 08-18-2016, 6:36 PM Thread Starter

I am amazed that there hasn't been a lot of comments about the fact that the best dyno position in terms of power and torque was with both the flapper and exup intact, given the many threads and comments and owners set ups with them removed, and claiming superior performance with them removed. I was really expecting a backlash ;-)
post #6 of 23 Old 08-19-2016, 4:36 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I don't recall any claiming superior performance after removal, if there was any though, i probably would have given a 'ha', i can't imagine Honda spending all that money on R&D for your average joe to come along and rip it apart for it to run better.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-19-2016, 9:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

do you have the charts from all the other runs as well? id be interested in seeing the difference in peak numbers between the runs of each combination.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #8 of 23 Old 08-20-2016, 2:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought the flapper was a noise canceller?
post #9 of 23 Old 08-24-2016, 5:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Air Box Flapper, Exhaust Valve and PAIR removed from mine and I have totally got rid of any flat spots with a Bazzaz fitted and self tune fitted into the exhaust...Makes a massive difference in Torque and BHP in my opinion...
post #10 of 23 Old 08-25-2016, 4:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
do you have the charts from all the other runs as well? id be interested in seeing the difference in peak numbers between the runs of each combination.
I don't as yet, but I will be going back to the tuners in the next few weeks with a view to getting them and chatting with the tuner himself, so if I do, I will of course post them and whatever comments are made to me about the tuning.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-25-2016, 4:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecarr4 View Post
Air Box Flapper, Exhaust Valve and PAIR removed from mine and I have totally got rid of any flat spots with a Bazzaz fitted and self tune fitted into the exhaust...Makes a massive difference in Torque and BHP in my opinion...
That may well be the case, I am glad it seems like your bike is running better now. Do you have any charts or evidence other than anecdotal evidence that everything is ironed out etc? Air/fuel mix, that sort of thing, which is what seems to be vital in terms of dyno work if you do some serious digging, more so than any bhp or torque figures.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-27-2016, 5:28 PM
hfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok so I'd say about four years ago I had my 929 dyno'd with a Leo Vince end can and air box flapper removed but pairs valve and power valve working with stock air filter and it was producing gd power and extremely smooth power delivery. This was with a serial port pc3. Now 4-5years on i have made the 929 into a street fighter have fitted a power valve eliminator with jesters trick bits gp exhaust will be carrying out the pairs mod and fitting a k&n air filter and with +3 teeth on the rear sprocket. Will be getting it dyno'd set up in a couple of weeks still with the pc 3. Will let you know how it goes..
post #13 of 23 Old 08-27-2016, 5:41 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfb View Post
Ok so I'd say about four years ago I had my 929 dyno'd with a Leo Vince end can and air box flapper removed but pairs valve and power valve working with stock air filter and it was producing gd power and extremely smooth power delivery. This was with a serial port pc3. Now 4-5years on i have made the 929 into a street fighter have fitted a power valve eliminator with jesters trick bits gp exhaust will be carrying out the pairs mod and fitting a k&n air filter and with +3 teeth on the rear sprocket. Will be getting it dyno'd set up in a couple of weeks still with the pc 3. Will let you know how it goes..
Since you are looking for HP; I would ditch the K&N. They spend a lot of money to promote their product. Most of their claims of higher power come from manufacturers that use a parts bin to make a vehicle. Honda does an excellent job with the stock filter and is actually better than a K&N. Did K&N just use a stock filter for the sizing or did they actually test their filter and dyno it on the vehicle it is designed for? If they did dyno tests, why not publish the results?

The answer is here:
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/art...cbr-929rr.html

Here's the short of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft View Post
Submitted by: abtech

We ran the following tests regarding air filters on a stock 929 with OEM exhaust, Hindle bolt on and Hindle full system:

OEM filter 3 runs:

OEM Exhaust best run: 121.5
Hindle bolt on best run: 124.0
Hindle full system best run: 133.5

K&N 929 replacement filter:

OEM Exhaust best run: 119.0
Hindle bolt on best run: 121.0
Hindle full system best run: 129.5

"Whacked" filter (all paper removed, both screens remained)

OEM Exhaust best run: 124.5
Hindle bolt on best run: 127.5
Hindle full system best run: 137.0
So there you have it, a K&N will cost you power. More airflow doesn't make it better.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-27-2016, 6:05 PM
hfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I thought the oem filter would be better but I ask the tuner and he said go for the k&n. To be honest I'm not looking for big gains. I just want smooth power delivery with the new exhaust system I've fitted.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-27-2016, 6:08 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

I'd stick with the stock filter. The stock filters air better than the K&N does.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page