Interesting engine number on early SC28 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-09-2016, 5:35 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Interesting engine number on early SC28

A family member has just bought an SC28 and digging through the details it was first registered in May 1992, so a very early one. The most interesting thing is that it was first registered in Ireland, and this is the engine number:

Does anyone know if HRC ever did this kind of thing with engine numbers, or has a previous owner got a bit keen with a set of metal stamps?

On a separate issue, does anyone know if an SC33 clutch cover will fit onto a SC28 crankcase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-09-2016, 8:34 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Interesting engine number on early SC28

Benelli!!!!! Is that the only pic you have???? What a tease!!

With no engine number I would be surprised if it were an "off the floor" model. Seems there's some work that was done to that motor. The US didn't get the actual 92 models, we got early release 93's in the summer of 92. We started here with the RRP, not the RRN. I would assume the pic you have is of an RRN?

Pretty sure the clutch covers ARE interchangeable, here's an AMA Erion Racing 900 of 96-97 vintage. Although I can't prove it, I would guess it's an SC33 engine, but I'm positive it's an SC33 frame.

Most people did the opposite of what you ask because the SC28 covers are lighter.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2016, 4:11 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Thanks Ian. The bike(s) in question are these:

The white/red one is the 92 with the interesting engine number. Seems quite original apart from the heel plates and the blue screen.

The black/blue one is a 93' US import with an SC33 clutch cover, but an SC28 engine number and a Two Brothers system. He first bought the US import as it came up cheap and then saw the white one for an equally good price so it would have been rude not to buy that as well Interesting that you guys got silver forks on the early bikes and we got the bronze colored ones.

The black one hasn't run for quite a while and had the usual leaking O rings on the fuel rail and gunked up carbs, but he got it running ok. The white one runs fine, just needs tidying up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-10-2016, 4:38 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Ah yes, now I see where the cover question came from. Yes, subtle differences from what we got on this side. Your 94 model also got compression damping on the forks, which we didn't get until 95 with the RRS. I don't think I ever liked the bronze on the fork tubes. I do like the 2 tone idea thought.

The white one also has too many holes in the rear disk. Someone went to a length to lighten it up, maybe it did have a past as a Guinea Pig racer

I'm probably with you though, someone sanded the actual engine number off and thought it would be cute to put HRC on it.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page