Heating with the Blade - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Heating with the Blade

So, my recently bought Blade had a hectic overheating issue with the bike running up to 118 Degrees celsius.

Doing some fiddling, I found out that the bike had almost no coolant in it, coupled with lots of air bubbles and the main fan was not connected. ( and I bought this bike from a dealership, flippen pathetic )

Anyway, I got all those things sorted and now the bike runs around 77-79 Celsius.
However I have noticed that when idle or I stop at a red light the temperature quickly rises, if left for a while and I mean maybe 1 - 2 minute it rises to 104 when the fan kicks in then it will stay around 100 - 105 ( but this is all just testing, I never have my bike idle for that long ) At a red light it will maybe get to 80 - 90.

Coupled to that sometimes ( like today ) when I went onto the highway, I was going maybe 140KMH and the temperature rose to 88 then just suddenly jumped to 77 and it has done this before, quite often.

Anyone got any ideas or does the Blade just run super hot ?

I am taking the bike for a service soon, in another 1500KM, do you think I should maybe just get it sorted sooner ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2016, 1:51 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: Heating with the Blade

My two 954s have always run hotter than what I thought was "healthy". With the mixture that the Service Manual calls for, they each climb to 100C while "city" riding, but the fans kick on at 100C without fail. Once on the highway and up to speed, they seem to quickly cool down to the 77-90C range, which I NOW have become comfortable with.

I assume the temperatures in South Africa are quite a bit warmer than here in New York, so I'd not be too concernd by the numbers you've posted... BUT! Surely keep an eye on that coolant level while continuing to monitor the temperature from the cockpit

Which 'blade do you have?

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2016, 3:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

It is a 2011, bought it a few months ago, had roughly 11000KM on the clock.

At the moment it is winter here, so it is actually not that hot, normally quite chilly, summer is yet to come and it can scorch so the bike will probably climb very quickly then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-16-2016, 5:27 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

I rode my '94 Blade yesterday in slow traffic in hot weather and it did seem very hot, and a lot of heat came off the engine, but I was in Kevlar jeans and the temp gauge didn't register above half, so assumed all was well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page