Oil window on 929RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 1:27 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-03-2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Oil window on 929RR

Well after replacing the left side stator cover with new gasket and silicone safe sealant I've noticed my oil level to be really low. Topped up the oil after replacing the cover (bike was on a swingarm stand) so it was level. Oil level was good then went out riding for a bit and noticed hardly any oil through the oil window. Motor doesn't seem to be burning oil (blue smoke) or leaking anywhere. Although I should pull the fairing out and check to see if its leaking on the bottom of the stator cover and dripping into the inside of the bottom fairing. No fresh oil drips/leaks on the ground either.
Low oil pressure light has not come on during riding.

Question is: How accurate is the oil window??? I know to check oil you supposed to start it up for couple minutes then switch engine off, let it sit for abit and tilt it so it sits upright then check the oil window as specified in the owners manual.

Question 2: When bike is stone cold should the level of oil be visible in the window if its sitting on the kickstand????

Thanks for any help or info
JWHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 1:32 AM
 
Join Date: 11-22-2003
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

After filling it, when you run the bike, the engine takes up some oil, just fill it back up again, it is normal.
Tavish is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 1:36 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-03-2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Yes thats true but how much oil does our bikes usually eat up??? I probably have put on maybe 200km if that. It was between the upper and lower marks.
JWHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 1:38 AM
 
Join Date: 11-22-2003
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

After an oil change on mine, I fill up accordingly and then after running the engine a bit, if you look in the window, you can barely see any oil, if any.
Tavish is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 1:46 AM
 
Join Date: 02-14-2004
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHT
Well after replacing the left side stator cover with new gasket and silicone safe sealant I've noticed my oil level to be really low. Topped up the oil after replacing the cover (bike was on a swingarm stand) so it was level. Oil level was good then went out riding for a bit and noticed hardly any oil through the oil window. Motor doesn't seem to be burning oil (blue smoke) or leaking anywhere. Although I should pull the fairing out and check to see if its leaking on the bottom of the stator cover and dripping into the inside of the bottom fairing. No fresh oil drips/leaks on the ground either.
Low oil pressure light has not come on during riding.

Question is: How accurate is the oil window??? I know to check oil you supposed to start it up for couple minutes then switch engine off, let it sit for abit and tilt it so it sits upright then check the oil window as specified in the owners manual.

Question 2: When bike is stone cold should the level of oil be visible in the window if its sitting on the kickstand????

Thanks for any help or info
Your first mistake was checking it on a stand...the bike may look level but your oil pan isn't...find level ground take it off the stand...hold it level(best if your buddy helps you)...then check it...if its low, add very little at a time. If you changed just the oil...3.2 quarts is fine...oil and filter 3.7 and you are on the money, just in case you lost your owners manual or can't find the specifications section in it.
iridelikeagirl is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 2:04 AM
 
NinerPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 40
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25
       
Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: Oil window on 929RR

And make sure you dont have the bike running when you check it. (You didnt specify)
Chris
NinerPilot is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 2:10 AM
 
Join Date: 03-29-2002
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

iridelikeagirl has it right.
Joel is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 3:15 AM
 
Join Date: 01-06-2004
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerPilot
And make sure you dont have the bike running when you check it. (You didnt specify)
Chris

Yes he did. Read it again.
Nick the Quick is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 3:19 AM
 
NinerPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 40
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25
       
Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Doht, nevermind...
Chris
NinerPilot is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-03-2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Great thanks for all the info and help everyone You people are very helpful and have good explanations.

My friend had mentioned something about oil level on the swingarm stand yesterday, he was saying cause the engine is already tilted forward and it may give a false reading. K guess i'll need a buddy to hold it up as you guys mentioned.

Well I'll be checking it today and will check for any leaks first and ill let all of you know the situation.
JWHT is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 4:19 PM
 
crazycuRRie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-27-2002
Location: Corona, Ca
Age: 43
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
 
Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHT
Well after replacing the left side stator cover with new gasket and silicone safe sealant I've noticed my oil level to be really low.
Why would tyou use silcone on a gasket fitted part

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.
crazycuRRie is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 7:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-03-2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Silicone must be put on the wire harness that goes in to the stator cover. You don't have to but why waste time and not do it only to find it starts seeping or leaking oil right? I didn't put silicone on the whole surface of the cover as the gasket is good enough to seal it.

UPDATE: I did have a look at the stator cover this afternoon and no leaks and did have the bike upright and added more oil. Thanks again fellow members
JWHT is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 04-05-2004, 7:35 PM
 
Join Date: 06-05-2001
Posts: 8,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

When you drain the engine and replace the filter, the oil doesn't fill the filter until you run the engine. If you aren't counting liters and using the sight glass (while the bike is level and not on a rear stand ), then the level will permanently drop once you run the engine for a couple of minutes. Once it drops and then is shut off, wait about 5 minutes and top it to the correct level . . .

Last edited by abtech; 04-05-2004 at 7:35 PM.
abtech is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 04-06-2004, 2:44 PM
 
Join Date: 09-06-2002
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Oil window on 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
When you drain the engine and replace the filter, the oil doesn't fill the filter until you run the engine. If you aren't counting liters and using the sight glass (while the bike is level and not on a rear stand ), then the level will permanently drop once you run the engine for a couple of minutes. Once it drops and then is shut off, wait about 5 minutes and top it to the correct level . . .

as adove
jonnyboy is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 04-06-2004, 3:45 PM
Sponsor
 
SilverBullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-25-2001
Location: Virgina Beach, Va
Age: 42
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22
   
Re: Oil window on 929RR

You won't see any oil in the window while on the kickstand.
SilverBullet is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil filter question... monkey Honda FireBlade 8 04-01-2004 1:46 PM
Another oil thread! deez Honda FireBlade 3 09-22-2003 9:42 PM
How to change oil on a 954RR? just_john Honda FireBlade 8 07-02-2003 2:27 PM
929 early oil change recommendations Mavic Honda FireBlade 1 05-28-2003 5:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome