929 Headlight not Working - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 04-06-2004, 8:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

929 Headlight not Working

My 2000 929 headlights are not working both low/brights. I have so far:

checked/replaced the fuse - fine
inspected the bulb filaments through the headlight - fine
Checked the voltage at the fuse and got nothing

Is there anyone else who has had an issue with their headlights not working. Bike starts and runs like a champ. Brake, turn, and running lights all work.

Just wanted to get some input before I just started tearing into it.

THANKS!!!

-Richie-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-06-2004, 9:27 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: 929 Headlight not Working

Electrical problems can be a pain. If you have the manual its not too bad. Just start at the switch, (since all other lights work) and work your way to the headlight. You might also check the hi/low switch to see if you getting power to it. Its easy to get to and may be your problem. Wires can be pulled loose there pretty easily.

good luck!!!
post #3 of 40 Old 04-06-2004, 9:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kirby!

Any other ideas anyone?

-Richie-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 04-07-2004, 2:34 AM

I've run into this exact thing. Fuse was fine, bulbs were fine. No low or high beams and no dash high beam indicator.

Check your starter button. Mine had gunk/dirt in it and it wasn't fully releasing. The bike turns off the headlight as it fires the starter so if the button doesn't fully release, the headlight doesn't come back on.

Look at the bottom of the switch housing. There is a little plastic piece sticking down. Spray some contact cleaner or WD40 in it if you find that to be the problem.
post #5 of 40 Old 04-07-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatnAsphalt
I've run into this exact thing. Fuse was fine, bulbs were fine. No low or high beams and no dash high beam indicator.

Check your starter button. Mine had gunk/dirt in it and it wasn't fully releasing. The bike turns off the headlight as it fires the starter so if the button doesn't fully release, the headlight doesn't come back on.

Look at the bottom of the switch housing. There is a little plastic piece sticking down. Spray some contact cleaner or WD40 in it if you find that to be the problem.
It appears that the starter switch is coming all the way back out, but I will definately check it out for sure. Thanks I would have never thought of this on my own. So, when yours had this issue externally did it look like it was coming out all the way. Was it just internal?

Thanks!!!

-Richie-
post #6 of 40 Old 04-07-2004, 6:29 PM Thread Starter

BUMP

-Richie-
post #7 of 40 Old 04-07-2004, 11:40 PM

It was pretty obvious. I could take my finger and pull the right side of the switch out.
post #8 of 40 Old 04-08-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I sprayed some WD in the switch, and worked it good but it is still not working. I guess it is something else. There is a headlight relay behind the speedo that I'll look at next.

-Richie-
post #9 of 40 Old 04-08-2004, 2:36 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad13RR
I sprayed some WD in the switch, and worked it good but it is still not working. I guess it is something else. There is a headlight relay behind the speedo that I'll look at next.
There are also some wires soldered inside the starter switch assembly on the handlebar that give the signal from the starter button to cut out the lights, if the solder broke and the wires are disconnected it might not allow the lights to come on. One of the four wires that are soldered on my 929 broke and the lights failed to work. Just take the right side starter assembly apart by the brake lever and take a look, if four wires are soldered to the starter switch inside the assembly your good.
post #10 of 40 Old 04-09-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the broken solider joint. I should have checked that closer when I had it apart. I give it a look next chance I get. Thx!!!

-Richie-
post #11 of 40 Old 04-13-2004, 5:39 PM

Had a similar problem last summer.

First question: Are you using stock bulbs, or imitation HID blue lights?

I run some High intensity bulbs in mine for the Blue/White look. Here's what happened:

Hot August day, lights quit, dash flickers, turn signals spaz out.

Traced it, using manual and fixed it quick.

Pull off fake air duct cover on right side of bike, in front of tank, below the throttle. (3 or 4, 5mm allen head bolts) Now follow the wiring harness from your cluster and headlights down the right side of the bike, and you should see a big GRAY connector (24-30 pins) The ground wire for EVERYTHING forward of this harness is Dark Green, about a 20 or 22 gauge wire. STUPID DESIGN!!! Mine was MELTED inside the connector
on both sides. I had to break some of the plastic on the connector to get the thing to separate. When it finally came apart, I had to clean the black carbon off the connectors and tighten them inside their sockets. Put it back together, and everyting worked.

Those aftermarket bulbs just draw a LOT of current through the ground circuit. I am splicing into the Green wire just forward of the connector towards the headlights, and running an extra 16 gauge wire, soldered in, back to the battery or maybe the frame, to give it some current carrying insurance.

I sell decent bulbs by the way, look great, last a long time, very reasonable current rating(aside from above story...) Have them in all my bikes and cars.
$30 a pair.

Jon

Last edited by NordicusMaximus; 04-13-2004 at 5:40 PM.
post #12 of 40 Old 04-13-2004, 5:43 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

Could be the switch or the Relay. If those have not been pointed out yet.

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #13 of 40 Old 04-23-2004, 1:53 PM

This was the problem I had after a couple years of running the aftermarket bulbs that Hard Racing sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicusMaximus
Had a similar problem last summer.

First question: Are you using stock bulbs, or imitation HID blue lights?

I run some High intensity bulbs in mine for the Blue/White look. Here's what happened:

Hot August day, lights quit, dash flickers, turn signals spaz out.

Traced it, using manual and fixed it quick.

Pull off fake air duct cover on right side of bike, in front of tank, below the throttle. (3 or 4, 5mm allen head bolts) Now follow the wiring harness from your cluster and headlights down the right side of the bike, and you should see a big GRAY connector (24-30 pins) The ground wire for EVERYTHING forward of this harness is Dark Green, about a 20 or 22 gauge wire. STUPID DESIGN!!! Mine was MELTED inside the connector
on both sides. I had to break some of the plastic on the connector to get the thing to separate. When it finally came apart, I had to clean the black carbon off the connectors and tighten them inside their sockets. Put it back together, and everyting worked.

Those aftermarket bulbs just draw a LOT of current through the ground circuit. I am splicing into the Green wire just forward of the connector towards the headlights, and running an extra 16 gauge wire, soldered in, back to the battery or maybe the frame, to give it some current carrying insurance.

I sell decent bulbs by the way, look great, last a long time, very reasonable current rating(aside from above story...) Have them in all my bikes and cars.
$30 a pair.

Jon
post #14 of 40 Old 06-21-2004, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, I finally fixed the headlight issue. It was one of the joints in the starter swich button assembly being broken. Could not tell it was broken by just looking at it when I had it apart. Found out it was broken when testing with a multimeter.

THANKS!!! to everyone for the info

-Richie-
post #15 of 40 Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 AM

Hey thanks everyone for this thread. Long time member but never posted. I think this has helped me out a ton, I'm sure I'll be able to diagnose the problem now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page