Clock and Trip resetting - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CBR929RRY

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2017, 9:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Clock and Trip resetting

Hi, I am new to this site, but not to riding. I have already searched and reviewed previous posts on this matter. I didnt want to reply to an old thread.

I have a 03 954. I have the same problem where everything resets when the bike is shut off. I located the 2 big plugs on the right side of the fairing. I have 12v on both sides of the plug on the red and orange wire with the bike off. However the same wire under the seat has no power. When the bike is on I get 0.6v. There is a fuse under the wire that is good. All other fuses are good.

Everything was fine untill I changed the spark plugs. Dont know if this was due to it or not. Near the right spark plug there was a small 2 wire plug. 1 wire was about to break. So I fixed it. 1 side of the plug has 1 green wire and 1 orange wire. The other side has a Orange/black and white/black wire. It goes into the main harness. After putting everything back together is when I noticed the clock problem. I really dont want to cut open the harness. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-04-2017, 4:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Re: Clock and Trip resetting

Looks like you might have already answered your own question...

Doublecheck your handywork since the problem did not appear until you tinkered with the bike. Take it all apart again and check/confirm that all of the harnesses and wiring that you unplugged/fixed are still intact and properly secured, etc.

Make sure that your battery terminals are not loose.

How old is the battery btw? It's possible that a battery "going bad" will cause similar electrical gremlins to appear (trip meter resets each ride, etc).

The only 2 wire harness on the right side of the bike that comes to mind at the moment (I'm sure there's another 2 wire harness or two in that general vicinity) is the "pulse generator" and from what I recall, with that wire harness left unplugged the bike will experience a "no start" condition and that doesn't appear to apply to your specific situation.

It might not be a bad idea to get your hands on a copy of the official factory service manual and consult the wiring diagram so you can hammer out the details of that circuit you were asking about (someone might have posted a copy of the electrical wiring diagram on this message board before if you haven't already tried running a search for it btw).

G'luck troubleshooting !

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-04-2017, 8:13 AM Thread Starter

Guess I forgot to mention the battery was replaced last year and I have no problems starting. I have taken it back apart thinking it was the wire I fixed, untill I did research that suggests to me that the wire has nothing to do with it. The 2 wires are covered in black plastic and run up toward the left side of the bike.

I have looked to make sure everything is plugged in. I don't see anything unplugged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-05-2017, 4:24 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Clocks and trip meter is stored in RAM, which means if you loose battery power you loose that info.

This is usually caused by a wiring issue, bad grounds come to mind. Orange/green wire sounds like to an indicator.

Don't know about black/white. How thick was it?

Look up where your power and ground wires go from the cluster, make sure they are not effected.
IanDoohan likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-08-2017, 6:54 AM Thread Starter

The wires look to be 18-22 gauge. Not sure what it goes to.

Do you really think its a ground issue considering the wire under the seat does not have power? Seems like the issue is between the gray plug and battery.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2017, 8:27 PM Thread Starter

I finally had some time to work on the bike with light outside. Here is what I have...

First the wire under the seat that I tested was not the same wire as the plug. Under the seat was green wire with red stripe and the gray plug was red with green stripe. Not sure where exactly the right wire is at under the seat.

Next the 2 wire plug that I fixed runs under the forks to what looks like a valve or something. It has 2 hoses, 1 on each side of it. 1 hose goes between the first 2 spark plugs on the block and the next hose goes between the other 2 plugs.

I cleaned the gray plug with wd40 . Tested 12 volts on each side of the plug. Turned the key on and set the time. Turned it off for 5 minutes. Turned key back on and clock reset again. I put the bike back together and started the bike. Set the clock again and let it run for a couple of minutes. Turned it off and ate dinner. Turned the key to on and the clock is showing the time for now. So dont know what is going on or if it will even stay with the time or not. Very confused. Before I changed the spark plugs I didnt have any problems. I didnt touch any grounds 😕.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page