ok honda guys, need some help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By KLS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-06-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
KLS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
ok honda guys, need some help

long story short I acquired a 2006 cbr1000rr a few months back, I stripped it down and redid the body work, blinkers ect, but nothing too drastic wiring-wise, this bike had a full two brothers exhaust and a juice box on it when I bought it, Ive put about 500 miles on it so far, everything was fine until I had a problem on the on ramp of the interstate a couple weeks ago where it cut out and died, which I thought was the cause of the tip over sensor that the previous owner had zip tied to the head stay, I removed that and bypassed the plug and everything was fine until 2 days ago sitting at a stop light and it just killed, but started right back up, went about 20 yards, died again but started right back up and then ran fine the couple miles back home, I havent ridden it again until tonight, I got about 2 miles from home, pulled into a parking lot and it just died, it started right back up but randomly killed 5 more times on the way back home, odd thing is that I dont have to turn the key off or "reset" anything when it happens, in fact the last couple times it did it I just pulled in the clutch and hit the start button and it fired right back up and continued on while still rolling down the road... every time it dies theres a red light on the right side of the dash that comes on, it doesnt say what it is but Im assuming its an oil light or a fuel light, nothing else cuts out when it does this, lights and everything stay on and nothing else goofy happens except it just randomly kills, Im fairly certain the first time on the interstate was the tip over sensor, it acted different than these recent happenings and required the key to be turned off and on again to reset itself, I did add a power supply cord off the battery for my gps when I removed and bypassed the tip over sensor but I cant see that causing a problem, Ive worked on bikes all my life but Im very unfamiliar with these hondas, I have a few in general ideas it could be but Im just trying to save myself hours of problem/post searching, bike tear down, and trial and error tracking if this is just some inherent problem with these bikes thats just a plug and play problem and fix

hmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-07-2017, 6:43 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: ok honda guys, need some help

The best advice I'll give you (after properly introducing yourself) would be to read your Owner's Manual thoroughly, then purchase/download the Service Manual and see what direction it points you. I realize that's not very "manly", but IMHO neither is operating a machine (faulty machine, no less) that you're "very unfamiliar with".

Perhaps a couple 1KRR owners will chime in with some troubleshooting advice for ya. Best of luck

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 7 Old 05-07-2017, 7:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

His location isn't posted so I don't know if this is a Euro bike with HISS or not. I also was going to suggest the manual because there are 2 error lights on the dash and the manual gives the description of all the various things the light in conjunction with another error will give.
My guess is a fuel issue.
There is no specification for it anywhere but the fuel filters get clogged, the fuel pressure regulators go...and these are all part of the pump. Having purchased my 2006 in July, I had one of the few where the tank recall hadn't been completed. Honda has a website where you punch in your VIN and it gives the recall status. We discovered during mine that the PO put a 600rr pump in it instead.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2017, 9:43 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
long story short I acquired a 2006 cbr1000rr a few months back, I stripped it down and redid the body work, blinkers ect, but nothing too drastic wiring-wise, this bike had a full two brothers exhaust and a juice box on it when I bought it, Ive put about 500 miles on it so far, everything was fine until I had a problem on the on ramp of the interstate a couple weeks ago where it cut out and died, which I thought was the cause of the tip over sensor that the previous owner had zip tied to the head stay, I removed that and bypassed the plug and everything was fine until 2 days ago sitting at a stop light and it just killed, but started right back up, went about 20 yards, died again but started right back up and then ran fine the couple miles back home, I havent ridden it again until tonight, I got about 2 miles from home, pulled into a parking lot and it just died, it started right back up but randomly killed 5 more times on the way back home, odd thing is that I dont have to turn the key off or "reset" anything when it happens, in fact the last couple times it did it I just pulled in the clutch and hit the start button and it fired right back up and continued on while still rolling down the road... every time it dies theres a red light on the right side of the dash that comes on, it doesnt say what it is but Im assuming its an oil light or a fuel light, nothing else cuts out when it does this, lights and everything stay on and nothing else goofy happens except it just randomly kills, Im fairly certain the first time on the interstate was the tip over sensor, it acted different than these recent happenings and required the key to be turned off and on again to reset itself, I did add a power supply cord off the battery for my gps when I removed and bypassed the tip over sensor but I cant see that causing a problem, Ive worked on bikes all my life but Im very unfamiliar with these hondas, I have a few in general ideas it could be but Im just trying to save myself hours of problem/post searching, bike tear down, and trial and error tracking if this is just some inherent problem with these bikes thats just a plug and play problem and fix
Have you tried running without the Juice Box to see if you still get the same fault
post #5 of 7 Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
KLS

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
The best advice I'll give you (after properly introducing yourself) would be to read your Owner's Manual thoroughly, then purchase/download the Service Manual and see what direction it points you. I realize that's not very "manly", but IMHO neither is operating a machine (faulty machine, no less) that you're "very unfamiliar with".

Perhaps a couple 1KRR owners will chime in with some troubleshooting advice for ya. Best of luck
nothing unmanly about service manuals, I have a good number of them and I use them all the time, I do alot of wrenching on motorcycles/atv for myself and other people and if somebody brings me something with major issues the first thing I tell them is to bring a good service manual with it, buy one if they need to, however, as much of a wealth of information as they are they severely lack in most problem diagnostics, especially those inherent to a particular machine, Ive ridden dirtbikes and sportbikes most of my life, theres a big difference between being familiar with the working mechanics and being/not being familiar with a particular design, in fact on top of everything else I have a polaris outlaw/KTM and a sportsman both in need of a complete rebuild and a valve job on my R1 on the table to do right now, along this honda, again... so Im kind of just looking for direction with inherent problems with this model that may be the cause, my time/interest in trouble shooting this thing for days is a little lacking...
unslow1 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-07-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
KLS

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
His location isn't posted so I don't know if this is a Euro bike with HISS or not. I also was going to suggest the manual because there are 2 error lights on the dash and the manual gives the description of all the various things the light in conjunction with another error will give.
My guess is a fuel issue.
There is no specification for it anywhere but the fuel filters get clogged, the fuel pressure regulators go...and these are all part of the pump. Having purchased my 2006 in July, I had one of the few where the tank recall hadn't been completed. Honda has a website where you punch in your VIN and it gives the recall status. We discovered during mine that the PO put a 600rr pump in it instead.
its a US model, sorry, I was a little irritated last night and wasnt concentrating much on profile details... Ive done a little research and found it looks like a fairly common problem for these 1000rr's to cut out, with various things that can cause it of course, could be a fuel problem, its not throwing any codes that I can see, turn the key on and the light comes on for a couple seconds, goes out for a couple seconds then comes on and stays on, no flashing, its funny in that it seems to require a push of the starter button to restart the engine, doesnt seem to require a turn off/turn on of the key to "reset" anything, and coasting/bump starting when it did it in motion didnt seem to restart the engine(not saying that it wouldnt, just didnt seem to the couple times I tried), it happened random and didnt seem to be caused by any certain rpm range, throttle position, acceleration/deceleration, ect... none of the lights cut out or dimmed/brightened, in fact nothing else goofy happened in general, just randomly killed and Id pull the clutch in, hit the starter, fire it back up and continued on my way until it did it again, my first thought was a bad starter switch but I did do a little testing this morning and found pretty erratic reading at the battery, upon start up it jump around pretty good, highest I seen it jump was 19v, lowest was 10v, after a minute it settled down a little and ranged between 13.5v and 12.5v, the battery came with the bike and Im not sure how old or what condition it is, it seems to hold a charge good and my charger doesnt recognize a problem with it but the bike does seem to crank unusually slow, Im kind of leaning toward the stator now, the charge rates are low and it seemed this started after I removed the tip over sensor and wired in that gps power wire, the battery isnt cooking and the lights dont brighten/dim like you get alot with a bad vr but the stator may not be putting enough charge into the battery to keep up with everything and if the FI system requires a specific voltage to operate maybe Im hovering right at that mark? if so this should get worse as the battery drains, as it seemed to do on the ride back home

hmm...
post #7 of 7 Old 05-07-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
KLS

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Have you tried running without the Juice Box to see if you still get the same fault
it doesnt appear to be throwing any codes but that juicebox is definitely on the list of maybe's, I know a little of them but Ive never actually dealt with a juicebox before, alot of PC's but not a juicebox and I have no idea what theyre reliability is, problems they cause, ect...

right now Im just looking for a list of ideas that may be common problems with this year/model before I tear into anything too major, it would require a fairly significant teardown/tank removal to go through disconnecting the juicebox, and reconnecting it if it isnt the problem, I dont want to do that until I get a little more info, I'd tear it all apart and somebody would chime in that its some common problem relay in the fuse box that takes 30 seconds to replace...

hmm...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page