Fuel cutoff relay clicking - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 9:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Fuel cutoff relay clicking

Bike will not start, when key is in on position the fuel cutoff relay only clicks and pump will not prime. Hooked up known good fuel pump and same condition, no priming. Tried to test relay per manual but could not 100% verify....not enough hands to touch all connectors and hold to 12V power source all at same time.
Not sure of ot matters but I dont have the stator hooked up at this time. Hahahah almost forgot 02 954, sometimes I even amaze myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Re: Fuel cutoff relay clicking

Checked the fuse (IIRC, 30amp?) that sits in the starter relay solenoid, correct?

Other fuses checked out OK as well (?) and of course the engine start/stop switch is in the "run" position too, right ? Just to doublecheck...

If the above is all good, it's time to break out the wiring diagram/shop manual and start tracing connections/wires (grounds, etc). G'luck & let us know what the culprit was !

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2017, 8:39 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

I'm confused... so what's your main problem?
you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ande6009 View Post
Bike will not start
but:
Quote:
I dont have the stator hooked up at this time.
Problem #1 solved Now onto Problem #2 :

Quote:
when key is in on position the fuel cutoff relay only clicks and pump will not prime.
Stop. Does your fuel pump relay click ON... then 2-3 seconds later click OFF? It should. It's job is to "prime" the FI system (build pressure for starting) by sending a signal to the fuel pump, then interrupt signal 2-3 seconds later. We'll need to know if the fuel pump relay is doing that, so we can properly and efficiently troubleshoot the issue you're having.

Additionally, ensure all other (including the Fuel Pump Relay) relays are operating properly (can attempt selective interchange with Fan Relay and Headlamp Relay... and don't forget about the "4th relay" next to the fusebox). Your BAS (bank angle sensor; located between the gauge cluster and headlight assembly), Clutch safety switch (two wires on the clutch perch), and Sidestand safety switch (another two wire connector in the vacinity of... yup. you guessed it, the sidestand) will all affect a non-starting machine. Check those spots, clean & reassemble as necessary, and check them off the list of potential problems.

If I was working on your machine, the first thing I'd do is put that starter back in. No sense troubleshooting a "non-starting" issue if it has non-starter

Keep us posted

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2017, 7:06 PM Thread Starter

I feel like an idiot. I swapped barteries and attempted to crank it , and for some reason after the fourth bump of starter the fuel pump started priming. She's alive !
post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-2017, 2:41 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage

So a flat battery
post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2017, 3:14 PM Thread Starter

Im not sure why battery was no working. It has 12.7V.....oh well new battery and all is good. Guess pump needed 14V to kick start into gear after sitting for 2 years.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2017, 3:38 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Battery voltage alone doesn't mean much, what was it while under load? You can test a battery and the static voltage can be good, place it under a load and the voltage drops.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 7:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Battery voltage alone doesn't mean much, what was it while under load? You can test a battery and the static voltage can be good, place it under a load and the voltage drops.

I didnt check it under a load, in retrospect I guess I should have checked it before swap......I learned another piece of the "diagnostic pie" today. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page