03 954RR battery issues? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

12Likes
  • 4 Post By lanbrown
  • 1 Post By COBRA90GT
  • 1 Post By unslow1
  • 2 Post By lanbrown
  • 1 Post By EAY1991
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 2 Post By EAY1991

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

03 954RR battery issues?

Hi all,

I just bought a 2003 CBR954RR with less than 30 thou km on the odometer. I borrowed it for a day to test it out and it ran perfect, aside from the speedometer reading '0' (already ordered the sensor online), and the neutral light not working for now (fixable for sure). On the day i brought it home, I stopped to fill her up with gas. Tried to start her after but the battery seemed discharged. Volts were reading around 11.5-12v on the meter. Had to push start her manually. Also noticed she was a wee bit more sluggish below 3k RPM, something that wasn't present when I test drove it.

Stopped to grab dinner a few kilometers from my house after around 40 minutes of riding, and she wouldn't start again. Once she fired up after the trusty push jump start, I noticed she never got above 13.5v on the meter. She was also idling rough at stops, threatening to stall, with the idle set at a tad above 1k RPM. I was able to get home, but she died right at my driveway. Stalled out since I was coasting clutch in to park.

Could this be a battery issue? Rectifier or stator? Can the lack of juice affect my engine performance in any way?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: 03 954RR battery issues?

You need to diagnose the entire charging system. A bad charging system can kill a battery. So just replacing parts is not the answer as you could end up replacing things again.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

It's possible the battery itself is "flat," meaning it will show a "normal" voltage when you put a multimeter to it, but the battery won't actually have enough juice to start/crank the bike over (hence your recent push starts).

Any idea how old the battery is or if the previous owner has drained that battery down a few times?

Definitely check/verify the entire charging system itself as well while you're at it but I would start with load testing that battery...g'luck !
kahlilj likes this.

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

In addition to @lanbrown , prepare yourself to replace battery, stator, stator cover gasket, and Regulator/Rectifier. I highly recommend OEM, Rick's, Mosfet, or other replacement that meets/exceeds factory QUALITY parts.

954s (especially with that mileage/kilometerage) are due for these parts to wear out anyway As well as CCT, relays, connectors, and other associated electrical issues.

Please keep us posted
IanDoohan likes this.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
It's possible the battery itself is "flat," meaning it will show a "normal" voltage when you put a multimeter to it, but the battery won't actually have enough juice to start/crank the bike over (hence your recent push starts).

Any idea how old the battery is or if the previous owner has drained that battery down a few times?

Definitely check/verify the entire charging system itself as well while you're at it but I would start with load testing that battery...g'luck !
I'll be looking into that in the morning (Philippine time now is 10:10pm) with my battery tender to check the status of the battery. As far as I know, the bike was a daily and the previous owner just replaced the battery a month or two ago.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

If the battery is new, then you have a charging system issue and that can kill a battery. Check the stator, the R/R and all of the electrical connections/connectors. Anything that looks bad or fails, replace it. Also, at times, a R/R can pass the test but it is still faulty; I've had that issue before.
kahlilj and EAY1991 like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post

In addition to @lanbrown , prepare yourself to replace battery, stator, stator cover gasket, and Regulator/Rectifier. I highly recommend OEM, Rick's, Mosfet, or other replacement that meets/exceeds factory QUALITY parts.

954s (especially with that mileage/kilometerage) are due for these parts to wear out anyway As well as CCT, relays, connectors, and other associated electrical issues.

Please keep us posted
Yup! Got those lined up already. OEM or, if I have the spare cash, Ricks or Mosfet regulator, and OEM stator and associated parts. Gotta do it through eBay since 954rr parts are very rare in the Philippines. There are only less than 15 of them in the entire country!

The rest of the electrical components will be done in one go at a shop I frequent. Hopefully that'll fix my missing neutral and sometimes missing fuel light. haha
unslow1 likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-29-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Okay, so we narrowed it down to the starter motor. Battery charges well and is good, also the stator and rectifiers are okay. Replace gaskets but that's okay.

Still waiting to see if it's the entire motor or certain parts in it.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-29-2017, 1:29 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAY1991 View Post
Okay, so we narrowed it down to the starter motor. Battery charges well and is good, also the stator and rectifiers are okay. Replace gaskets but that's okay.

Still waiting to see if it's the entire motor or certain parts in it.
The starter won't give you the running issues you described. You may still have a charging issue. Here is a good reference to test and diagnose the system:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

With all the FI electronics on the bike, a weak system, or a system that begins to fail once warm could possibly give you the running/low rpm issues. Just make sure you're certain. Hate to see you get far from home and be stranded.
kahlilj likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 11 Old 06-29-2017, 9:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
The starter won't give you the running issues you described. You may still have a charging issue. Here is a good reference to test and diagnose the system:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

With all the FI electronics on the bike, a weak system, or a system that begins to fail once warm could possibly give you the running/low rpm issues. Just make sure you're certain. Hate to see you get far from home and be stranded.
Thanks for the tip. Also forgot to mention that my mechanic explained to me that the retardedly short race pipe is responsible for the sluggish feeling below 3k RPM. Ordering a longer slip on soon since the one on the bike now is basically an open pipe with a gutted akra.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 2:27 PM Thread Starter

Update!

Bike runs really well now. Turns out the issue was the carbon brush and armature in the starter. Replaced those and have had nothing but kilometers of good riding for the past two days
kahlilj and 954Kevin like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page