954 cheap upgrades - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

7Likes
  • 3 Post By fj1200rj
  • 3 Post By unslow1
  • 1 Post By ART

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
ART

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 cheap upgrades

Any suggestions for cheap or free upgrades for the 954 RR?
Is it worth removing the pare valves or messing with the intake flapper valve or is a Power Commander the only real improvement?
All opinions are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2017, 2:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage
Re: 954 cheap upgrades

A Power Commander is an improvement, not in HP but in rideability as it smooths out the power curve, I have a PCIII, but if you can afford it, a PCV with Autotune is the way to go. The pare valve is only an improvement if it is noisy or seized and therefore not functioning, IMHO.
unslow1, ART and MrPickwick like this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2017, 9:40 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

although I haven't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART View Post
Any suggestions for cheap or free upgrades for the 954 RR?
Is it worth removing the pare valves or messing with the intake flapper valve or is a Power Commander the only real improvement?
All opinions are welcome
cheap... free...
It all really comes down to your riding style, how the ergos feel to you, and what you're doing with the machine. My next few words probably won't be the most popular with some members, but here goes;

1. Suspension set-up is ideal and KEY with just about any machine. Whether your intent is to decrease your laptimes or just absorb the bumps in the road better, dialing in your machine's suspension for your weight, riding style, and road conditions is appropriately labeled "#1".

2. Ride height. A near "free" adjustment of seat height can greatly increase the level of rider comfort by lowering the back of the bike and taking pressure off your hands & wrists. Many riders frown upon this adjustment which is usually labeled as "lowering", because it change the way the machine handles and looks. Some feel as though sportbikes should be in their purest form and operated at capacity. I say it's YOURS, and make it as comfortable to ride as you can.

3. "Dirtbike bars". Usually involves drilling a pair of holes in your top Tripletree clamp and incorporating putting motocross style bars (like stunt guys use). This is a bit more involved and time-consuming modification that requires longer cables & lines as well. The purpose is the same as #2 , to have a more "upright" comfortable riding position.

4. A more "aggressive" drive. No, not smashing side-view mirrors of cagers on their cellphones while drinking Starbucks and steering with their knee... I'm talking about replacing your chain & sprockets (all 3 at the same time with NEW). Many, many sportbike owners enjoy a -1/+2 set-up. I prefer my -1/+5, but obviously my fuel economy suffers.

Now, for your original question, as far as the intake flapper, PAIR valve, servo motor and HTEV, I'd leave them in place while they're still functioning properly. Once they fail (which may be the servo motor first: MIL codes 34/35), I recommend deleting it ALL, and installing a "Servo Buddy" to extinguish the MIL.

Other "small" things to remember are; keeping the OEM paper air filter, change oil at recommended intervals, ensuring intake & exhaust valves are within recommended tolerances, I believe there's even a "hotter" or "colder" sparkplug the Service Manual mentions (since you'll have it out while checking the valves).

Personally, I think the designer of the 954 "knocked it outta the park". I have performed a couple of the aforementioned "modifications" and adjustments out of necessity, to increase my comfort and due to mechanical failure. I hope this post was informative & helpful.
IanDoohan, ART and MrPickwick like this.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2017, 6:57 PM Thread Starter
ART

UNSLOW1, thankyou for taking so much time to share your views and experience.
unslow1 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2017, 2:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

i wouldnt mess with the flappers until you have to.... and you probably will at some point. my servo motor completely gave up the ghost at like 11,000 miles. i mean when i opened it up after removal a pile of plastic gear teeth fell out of it.

rather than spending the 100$+ buying a new servo i just bought one of those cheater plug-ins to fool the fi light for 50$ n pinned the htev in its mid way point.

the bike wont make more or less power with or without the system. what the htev does is give more or less back pressure to the exhaust. the added back pressure at lower-mid range moves the peak torque number down lower in the rpm range, but it doesnt create a higher number.

the pair valve block offs wont make any difference in power. much like the flapper valve and the htev its really just an emissions system.

however, should you mount a power commander and get the bike tuned the pair valve system will need to be disabled to get accurate air/fuel ratio numbers on the dyno. info they use to tune the bike with the pc.

as far as upgrades go..

hands down, the best money you can spend on your bike is getting the suspension setup. its a black art that takes experience to do well.

find a good suspension specific shop or an old guy who knows his stuff in your area, i found a retired suspension tech from england with 25+ years setting up race bike suspension on my local forum.

he charged me 30$ to set my 954 up. i thought it was fine before he did his thing. when i rode it after he fixed it i was blown away by the difference in the first turn. night and day. seriously.

i was so impressed when i got back from the test run i gave him another 30$ as a tip. still the best 60$ ive spent on my bike. you wont find a better 60$ to spend on yours i promise you.

like i said tho, id avoid just taking it to like a dealership n letting them try. i wont say every dealership would, but id wager their version of a suspension setup is turning the clickers to the factory presets n calling it done.

another cheap mod i found to be really good for me is slapping on a vfr gear shifter to convert to gp shift. i got one on ebay for like 10$. ill never go back to standard shifting. gp shift is the business.

im on my second set of cheap ebay china levers. 25$ i had pazzo levers on my previous bike n they were in the 200$ range. i seriously can not tell the difference. i mean like if you put the pazzo lever side by side with the china lever itd be difficult to distinguish one from the other. 1:1 clone.

just keep in mind stuff from china is made the same way n often from the same quality of materials, but their quality control just isnt much. so with that in mind, pay close attention to the fit during install if you put a set of china levers on. the quality of both sets ive bought have been perfect. just saying it wouldnt surprise me if i had gotten a set where the machine operator had been taking a nap. just sayin, china goods.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2017, 6:16 AM Thread Starter
ART

Many thanks to 954Kevin for taking the time to post such a long reply. I totally agree that well set up suspension is the best value for money upgrade and to that end I have already changed my fork oil and tweaked my settings to suit my weight and riding style. I also agree about the cheap chinese levers. I have them on the Blade and on my 919Hornet and it's pretty much impossible to tell that they're not expensive Pazzo. i will be fitting a Dynojet PC V soon so I'll check with my dyno tuner about removing the pare valves.
Thanks again buddy. This site keeps getting better the more I use it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page