'01 Fireblade 929 with the "tick" - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
'01 Fireblade 929 with the "tick"

Hey everyone,

Just bought a 2001 Fireblade 929 and noticed it has a tick/click sound coming from what seems at first listen to be the upper right cylinder head area. Bike has 19k, a full aftermarket ti exhaust of some kind and a Leo Vince SBK2. I believe it has a sensor buddy or some such as no PGM-FI or any other codes pop up when running as would be the case with the missing exhaust valve. Bike presents as formerly well-cared for but last PO wasn't so attentive as it has a hifiltro filter and really dodgy looking brake fluid in the front reservoir.

I'm expecting cheese.

Additionally, the lock for the rear storage compartment is half hanging out and inoperable so I'm in for some fun time getting in there.

Now as to what I've done so far:

Ordered a Power Commander V to address the well documented power loss due to yanking the exhaust valve, full pipe and no tune.

Ordered two sets of exhaust gaskets as apparently ti pipes like to expand/contract excessively and cause a leak at the header requiring frequent tightening. (Possible source of sound?)

Ordered a valve cover gasket to be ready for the valve clearance check which I'm sure wasn't done at 15000 like the manual says.

Ordered an APE tensioner to replace the (possibly) failed factory unit. (Most likely cause of sound)

Ordered actual 929 Owner's Manual and I have the .pdf service manuals

Went to the local Dealership and got an actual Honda branded oil filter which I will use with the same
Castrol 4T full synthetic that I use in my Tiger. (Very unlikely source of sound)

At this stage the plan is to wait for parts and tuner, tear down and service what can be serviced while I wait and just generally try to tear into it as much as possible and do such things as replace the fluids and lube bearings, check service items and so forth. I didn't purchase an air filter as we don't know what's in it and we can always order later or go to Cyclegear.

So my question to all you folks that have gone before is: Am I on the right path? I don't want to just throw money at the problem as that almost never works but I think I've got about enough to go on should I continue as I am? Any advice any of you could give would be GREATLY appreciated. I've never done valves before, let alone modern bucket/shim type so I will be learning as I go here.

My garage has wheel and lift stands with the paddles to lift the swingarm and I have an electromechanical hydraulic lift to lift the front end by the steering hub if necessary. I have performed 90% of my 12k service on my '15 Triumph 800 Tiger so I'm not totally bereft of mechanical knowledge and with learning these procedures on a bike that doesn't cost 15 grand I should be good to go to do its' 24k which is already upon me. I also have a 28 gallon air compressor and a full array of tools such as torque wrenches, impact sockets and some specialty tools like brake bleeders and chain breakers/riveters and the like. But if I need any scanners or specialty tools for regular services would someone please let me know?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you folks can give as I am a total noob just trying to make myself a track day bike to go and learn a bit on. My Wife (rather foolishly perhaps) signed me up for Advanced Rider Training which was held on a track so of course after chasing an Instructor mounted on a Daytona 675 all day the bug bit hard. But as my Tiger is ill-equipped as a track day bike I thought why not trade off my almost new XR and get a sport bike and pocket the difference?
Well I'm beginning to see that THAT idea was going to cost more than I thought at first but surely not to the level of my ZR1 which likes expensive Carbon/Ceramic brakes to the tune of 3500.00 per end.

So again, thanks for any and all help, even just telling me what an Ass I am for skipping the little 600 'blade but my only excuse is that I just love the darned color yellow! I have 3 other bikes, a Corvette, a quad and a truck ALL finished in some form of bright yellow and all I can say in my defense is that I'm loving the bike so far except for the noise and it fits right in here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-14-2017, 7:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Re: '01 Fireblade 929 with the "tick"

600cc isn't a Blade. 929 and 954 has very noise injectors so check them. I have some mechanical knowledge and i find it always amusing when people think they can hear when valve clearences are of. I really don't and have done few little more diffucult things then checking valve clearences... And allso veey thing casings and a thin magnesium valve cover..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page