Headlight Bulbs on 900 RR3 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By fj1200rj
  • 1 Post By fj1200rj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2017, 6:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Headlight Bulbs on 900 RR3

Hi all,

Bit of a daft question but I know that the headlight bulb is a H7. I have just ordered a twin pack of philips xtreme vision bulbs for the main headlight (the one in the middle). Just wondered - do the full beam headlights use the same bulbs? If so, how does the bike differentiate between the brightness?

Many thanks!

CBR 954 2003 Blue/Black
SV 650 SK8 2008 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 7:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage
Re: Headlight Bulbs on 900 RR3

Yep, same bulb for all three lights. the reflector and lens is what makes the difference in the beam's focus. If you look at the lens you'll notice that the low beam is shrouded on top to prevent it from shining as high up as the 2 high beams. Also, the way the low beam reflector is designed provides a wider, lower focused beam than the high beams.
MrPickwick likes this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 07-19-2017 at 7:43 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 7:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Yep, same bulb for all three lights. the reflector and lens is what makes the difference in the beam's focus. If you look at the lens you'll notice that the low beam is shrouded on top to prevent it from shining as high up as the 2 high beams.
Ahh thanks for that information. I just wasn't aware of how they worked! Should I change my full beam as well or will I be OK having xtreme vision for normal and leave the other bulbs as normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 8:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4LL3N View Post
Ahh thanks for that information. I just wasn't aware of how they worked! Should I change my full beam as well or will I be OK having xtreme vision for normal and leave the other bulbs as normal?
If you're just changing the low beam (center) for now than I wouldn't worry about it. If you're changing the high beams, you may want to change both, mainly for looks as sometimes different bulbs may produce a different color, even from the same manufacturer (different P/N bulbs). Also, they say bulbs dim over time, so on cars they recommend replacing them as a pair, but I'm not sure that they're just not trying to get more of our money. But that's up to you. When my low beam went out I bought a 2 pack of the Sylvania Silver Star Ultras (expensive), used them to replace both high beams, put the used high beam in the low slot and save the other used high beam as a spare. I drive across the desert at night so I use my high's a lot and wanted the better bulbs to keep an eye out for animals. I have since switched the high beams over to HID's, because I had them left over from a car. I eventually plan to switch all 3 to LED's. All bulbs are definitely NOT created equal. I just bought new headlight assemblies for my Ford truck off Amazon. Made in Taiwan, the assemblies look and fit just like the OEM's, although I did end up using my OEM adjusters as the one's that came on them were too long. I could have cut down the screws, but I was in a hurry. Also, I didn't have to adjust them as the Ford adjusters were already perfect. They came with some no-name bulbs, they sucked, dim. I took the Sylvania's out of the old lights and WOW, I forgot how bright my lights used to be, not to mention looks, my old ones were so frosted you could barely see the bulbs through them. $42 shipped to my door, verses over $200. I'm gonna try my luck with a new grill from Amazon now. New rear bumper and a buff job and she'll look pretty good when she hits 500,000 miles later this year!
MrPickwick likes this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #5 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 8:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
If you're just changing the low beam (center) for now than I wouldn't worry about it. If you're changing the high beams, you may want to change both, mainly for looks as sometimes different bulbs may produce a different color, even from the same manufacturer (different P/N bulbs). Also, they say bulbs dim over time, so on cars they recommend replacing them as a pair, but I'm not sure that they're just not trying to get more of our money. But that's up to you. When my low beam went out I bought a 2 pack of the Sylvania Silver Star Ultras (expensive), used them to replace both high beams, put the used high beam in the low slot and save the other used high beam as a spare. I drive across the desert at night so I use my high's a lot and wanted the better bulbs to keep an eye out for animals. I have since switched the high beams over to HID's, because I had them left over from a car. I eventually plan to switch all 3 to LED's. All bulbs are definitely NOT created equal. I just bought new headlight assemblies for my Ford truck off Amazon. Made in Taiwan, the assemblies look and fit just like the OEM's, although I did end up using my OEM adjusters as the one's that came on them were too long. I could have cut down the screws, but I was in a hurry. Also, I didn't have to adjust them as the Ford adjusters were already perfect. They came with some no-name bulbs, they sucked, dim. I took the Sylvania's out of the old lights and WOW, I forgot how bright my lights used to be, not to mention looks, my old ones were so frosted you could barely see the bulbs through them. $42 shipped to my door, verses over $200. I'm gonna try my luck with a new grill from Amazon now. New rear bumper and a buff job and she'll look pretty good when she hits 500,000 miles later this year!
Nice! Drop pictures when done

CBR 954 2003 Blue/Black
SV 650 SK8 2008 Black

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page