900RR USD Fork Swap_Bits and Bobs Qs - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By pdxbret

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-20-2017, 6:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

900RR USD Fork Swap_Bits and Bobs Qs

I have recently posted to a thread on this topic (LOCATED HERE, on RRZone) to no replies (bastards!), so I thought I'd try again here.

Apologies to those of you who have seen loads of threads on this. I have as well, but data/info falls short on the small but necessary parts.

In the thread mentioned above, lambchops breaks it down as follows: "You can swap the frontend from a 929 or 954 right over, I used 929 yokes then cbr1000rr 2005 forks within those yokes and it all works great. Advantage with 1000rr forks is you get the radial calipers."

So far, I have acquired all of my parts based on that thread:
* TOP YOLK for 929
* RC51 sp1 front wheel
* CBR 929 lower triple and stem
* CBR 929 front wave rotors
* CBR 1000RR forks (04-07)
* CBR 1000RR fork seal kit
* CBR 1000RR front fender
* R6 Monoblock calipers
* SS brake lines

I'm hoping someone might be able to direct me in terms of bearings, spacers, collars, etc. Needing to clarify the following:
* Which steering stem bearings am I looking for (cbr900 head bearings)?
* Which wheel bearings/collars am I looking for?
* Which axel should I be using (RC51, 929)?
* Anyone do this setup or could guess on spacer/collars machined to center the hub?
* Anyone so this setup or could guess on spacer/collars machined to center rotors in the forks/calipers?

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ AND ADVISE!!! Attaching a few photos of my last two CBR projects. This USD fork swap will be added, along with a revised subframe design to the one w/ SSSA show in both images.

I roll on a sic & naked 900RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2017, 3:06 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
Re: 900RR USD Fork Swap_Bits and Bobs Qs

Hi , because of Photobucket we've lost (at present) @IanDoohan he could have helped you with all the technical side, maybe he will see this post and come to the rescue and maybe @Leslie who did the SSSA upgrade

Last edited by MrPickwick; 07-21-2017 at 5:16 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2017, 1:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Allballs bearing kit for 954 should do the trick for the steering stem... It is for most other Hondas allso. Check their website. And oem 929/954 wheel bearings for the front rim.... Use the forums search to see what size collars you need.1000RR and 929/954 rim is a straight swap....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Hi , because of Photobucket we've lost (at present) @IanDoohan he could have helped you with all the technical side, maybe he will see this post and come to the rescue and maybe @Leslie who did the SSSA upgrade
Hahahaha thanks for the mention Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbret View Post
I have recently posted to a thread on this topic (LOCATED HERE, on RRZone) to no replies (bastards!), so I thought I'd try again here.

Apologies to those of you who have seen loads of threads on this. I have as well, but data/info falls short on the small but necessary parts.

In the thread mentioned above, lambchops breaks it down as follows: "You can swap the frontend from a 929 or 954 right over, I used 929 yokes then cbr1000rr 2005 forks within those yokes and it all works great. Advantage with 1000rr forks is you get the radial calipers."

So far, I have acquired all of my parts based on that thread:
* TOP YOLK for 929
* RC51 sp1 front wheel
* CBR 929 lower triple and stem
* CBR 929 front wave rotors
* CBR 1000RR forks (04-07)
* CBR 1000RR fork seal kit
* CBR 1000RR front fender
* R6 Monoblock calipers
* SS brake lines

I'm hoping someone might be able to direct me in terms of bearings, spacers, collars, etc. Needing to clarify the following:
* Which steering stem bearings am I looking for (cbr900 head bearings)?
* Which wheel bearings/collars am I looking for?
* Which axel should I be using (RC51, 929)?
* Anyone do this setup or could guess on spacer/collars machined to center the hub?
* Anyone so this setup or could guess on spacer/collars machined to center rotors in the forks/calipers?

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ AND ADVISE!!! Attaching a few photos of my last two CBR projects. This USD fork swap will be added, along with a revised subframe design to the one w/ SSSA show in both images.

Great looking project 900!!!! I can't really offer any advice based on experience. However, all the 900's share the same steering head bearings. So I would stick with the ball races, vs going with a tapered roller. I have used All Balls as Mika mentioned, with success, but again, I would advice to go balls and not rollers (the theory is with the old girls the tapereds took away a bunch of feel from the front end, as well as you not being able to use OEM torque specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
Allballs bearing kit for 954 should do the trick for the steering stem... It is for most other Hondas allso. Check their website. And oem 929/954 wheel bearings for the front rim.... Use the forums search to see what size collars you need.1000RR and 929/954 rim is a straight swap....
I'm asking this question because I'm not as up to speed on the newer stuff. Does the 1k use the 330mm rotors like the 29 and 54?? And what about the RC51? For some reason I thought those went back to a 320mm rotor. I only mention that because the SP1 wheel and 330mm rotors on 1k forks may not get you proper offset to center the disk in the caliper. **But like I said, I'm speaking from older 900 experience.

The 29 and 54 axle is shared with the 1k, but not the RC. I only assume that's because of the cool works forks the RC had. So I don't know what that means for your SP1 rim on the 1k forks, if anything.

I would continue to search and read threads. There were only a few guys that have done that type of mod/swap, and even less that are still active on either of the Fireblade/CBR sites.

As far as spacers go, it's easy enough to grab a bunch of different ones from eBay, etc. And a little secret, I don't know from experience about the axles, I just use Partzilla as my reference, as they list all the models that share the particular part you're looking at. It makes me appear more knowledgeable than I am

Please post pics (as attachments) and share your experience with your build. God speed
MrPickwick likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 AM

RC51, 929/954 and 04-07 1000RR have all exact same discs specs except the diameter. Those depend on the year and bike. From 310-330mm. I liked the allballs on my 954. Much less drag on the bearings....And torque specs can be found on 954 oem manual. First production batch came with tapered bearings from Honda.

Last edited by mika_u; 07-22-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 11:52 AM

And you should be using front axle from -00 929 to -07 1000RR. I haven't myself ever made the swap to RC51 wheel so don't know what size collars you need. It would be very simple if you had -00-07 center collar from the rim behind the bearings. You could use that as a reference so that the wheel bearings would have same distance as bearings from the Blade. Then you could just use wheel collars from 00-07 Blade. The Blade bearings will fit straight to the RC51 rim. They just have different inner diameter....
post #7 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbret View Post
I have recently posted to a thread on this topic (LOCATED HERE, on RRZone) to no replies (bastards!),
For a number of years RRZone has been hardly a shadow of its former self, pretty well inactive.

But the Search still works and the archives are filled with great information.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 8:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
So bearings for 954 will work at steering stem and wheel, front axle from -00 929 to -07 1000RR. Sounds like a solid plan. Exactly the information I was looking for!

Thank you for all the great inteL, Mika!!!
mika_u likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page