Another Bleeding Front Brake Thread 954RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

7Likes
  • 3 Post By sapi69
  • 1 Post By sapi69
  • 2 Post By jondog9
  • 1 Post By cbibb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-28-2017, 6:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Another Bleeding Front Brake Thread 954RR

Stripped front brakes out last weekend as needed new pads and MOT advisory rubber hoses need replacing , As the hoses were coming off i decided in my infinite wisdom to clean up the pistons and calipers
Have put it all together bled the brakes which pump up fine ,then after a few minutes go back to being spongy and need another pump to become firm , have tried all the recommended methods of bleeding still same problem , no air bubbles visible in the clear tube when i bleed them

Have tapped hoses all the way up and bled the M/C , 05 1000rr Radial M/C with bleed nipple

I am now thinking i must have disturbed the Piston Seals or the bleed nipples aren't seating properly so air is being drawn back in

Is there any way to actually test if the system has an airleak., I have Taped the brakes on over night and they feel perfect straight away then after few minutes get gradually worse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2017, 7:12 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Re: Another Bleeding Front Brake Thread 954RR

hi there, you must have missed something somewhere, best thing is check everything is tightened properly, check bleed screws, take ya pistons out and check the seals you may have damaged one during the cleaning process. When I changed out my lines for braided hoses I had a right bitch of a time to get them right, I checked back through everything and never found exactly what the problem was but I made sure that when I was bleeding that I was shutting off at the bleed nipple and MC whilst I had the line under pressure so it couldn't suck any air back in, then they were great....I think it's a case of taking your time and being methodical.
Hope this helps you out a bit, post up and let us know if you manage to get it sorted, good luck

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2017, 8:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jazzy

Have ordered caliper seal kit and master cylinder rebuild kit to be on the safe side and two new nipples as noticed tonight that after i closed the right side off tightly after bleeding, the fluid was bubbling slightly down the clear tube into the jar , whereas the left side just held the fluid till i pulled the hose off
At least on the 954 its easy to pull the whole system off still connected and work on it on the bench and you can shake it all about to dislodge any trapped wind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2017, 1:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapi69 View Post
Thanks Jazzy

Have ordered caliper seal kit and master cylinder rebuild kit to be on the safe side and two new nipples as noticed tonight that after i closed the right side off tightly after bleeding, the fluid was bubbling slightly down the clear tube into the jar , whereas the left side just held the fluid till i pulled the hose off
At least on the 954 its easy to pull the whole system off still connected and work on it on the bench and you can shake it all about to dislodge any trapped wind
Yeah that sounds a bit iffy, but remember to always have enough fluid in the jar to cover the end of the tube just in case your closing of the bleed nipple technique isn't perfect especially when pumping if you don't close off the nipple 100% BUT it sounds more like a seal or nipple. Let us know how it turns out and pop into the Green Members pavilion sometime

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #5 of 12 Old 08-01-2017, 8:31 PM Thread Starter

Re-Stripped the calipers replaced all the seals, Polished the pistons (Yes i Know they are teflon coated ) new Stainless steel bleed nipples , stripped the ebay brought RR5 M/C , rebuilt new seals & spring

To Find it exactly the same problem bleeds up fine leave it standing 5 mins and is all squishy , safe to ride but not right

Tonight stripped it back down was going to set the calipers up on the mill to re-seat the Nipples but to much like hard work , so ground up a 6mm drill to match the nipple angle , twiddled it around in the Nipple hole a bit.

Something to remember , nipple was letting in air slightly , but not enough to show a fluid leak even when left pressurized overnight

OMG Totally sorted brakes ,Bleed up and stay hard . in fact maybe to good now or just got use to squidgy brakes over the past year , so glad its sorted am doing my first ever track day at donninigton next Monday just need to decide on an exhaust to use as its a 98db day
jondog9, IanDoohan and MrPickwick like this.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-01-2017, 8:34 PM Thread Starter

Jazzy where is this pavilion you mention :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Yeah that sounds a bit iffy, but remember to always have enough fluid in the jar to cover the end of the tube just in case your closing of the bleed nipple technique isn't perfect especially when pumping if you don't close off the nipple 100% BUT it sounds more like a seal or nipple. Let us know how it turns out and pop into the Green Members pavilion sometime
MrPickwick likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-03-2017, 2:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I would suspect the master needs rebuilt. If that doesn't do it, then maybe you do need to reseal the pistons. Of course, only after you've double checked your work and are satisfied you've gotten all the air out.

Are the calipers/pistons showing any signs of leaking?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-03-2017, 6:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I would suspect the master needs rebuilt. If that doesn't do it, then maybe you do need to reseal the pistons. Of course, only after you've double checked your work and are satisfied you've gotten all the air out.

Are the calipers/pistons showing any signs of leaking?
Hi jondog9

As i mentioned above , had resealed pistons, new bleed nipples and master cylinder , it was still the same , turned out to be air leak on a bleed nipple seat . but didn't show signs on fluid leak
post #9 of 12 Old 08-03-2017, 6:46 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Jazzy where is this pavilion you mention :-)
Hi sapi, jazzy was trying to inform you of the benefits of being a member
post #10 of 12 Old 08-03-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Quote:
Hi jondog9

As i mentioned above , had resealed pistons, new bleed nipples and master cylinder , it was still the same , turned out to be air leak on a bleed nipple seat . but didn't show signs on fluid leak
I am really sorry for such a useless post. Apparently my reading comprehension was not too bright here, was it?

I also see you know what the f you're doing there, and you're sorted out. Glad to hear that! Good bit of detective work with the bleeder.

Rep to ya!
IanDoohan and sapi69 like this.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-05-2017, 5:05 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

If you replaced hoses you may need to bleed every banjo fitting... they trap air. Hopefully you used new crush washers.. they will take a bit of backing off and a tap, re-tightening (while under pressure) and bobs your uncle.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-11-2017, 5:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 4

One thing that I have found to work every single time even if system is completely drained. I get a small bottle with a pointed top. I fill the bottle up with brake fluid and attach a hose from the bottle to the bleeder on the caliper. I open the bleeder and squeeze the bottle forcing brake fluid from the caliper up into the master cylinder, I have been doing this for years and it works flawlessly every time. I cant take credit for this as I found it on another site, but it works every time. Just squeeze the bottle slow so the hose doesn't come off. And put only a very small amount of fluid in the master cylinder resivor as it will fill up from the fluid you are pushing in.
sapi69 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page