SC50 stutter at 3k and gets REAL upset after 8k rpm - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 08-14-2017, 7:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 3

So after doing a bunch of tests including all sensors, injectors, new exhaust gaskets, airbox gaskets, plugs, fpreg, IAT, SMOG injection delete, stator and r/r test good. Battery is fine etc.

I still have the same problem. No error lights at all.

The bike stutters at 3k and last night I took it over 8k purposely for the first time as the bike is fairly new to me and I've been hesitant to really get on it because I know something is wrong.

At 8k the bike got REAL weird bucked and popped until I pulled the clutch in.

The only test the bike didn't pass was the fuel pump flow test but I realized after I put the bike back that I did it incorrectly and overlooked disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line on the fuel pressure reg. Results of the test under this condition were about 140cc after 10sec vs the minimum in the manual is supposed to be 188cc.

Bike has no HTEV, full LeoVinci exhaust and a BMC filter which is new. PCIII USB with dYnojet map I was assured by dynojet would be sufficient.

The bike behaves the same with or without the PC connected at least with the low rpm stutter.

Fuel flow test aside I'm starting to think timing issue?

I will redo the flow test asap but until then anyone have any other ideas?

SOLVED:

After putting in a different ECU and changing the fuel pump I still had the same issues.

In the end I changed out the ignition pulse generator located inside the right crankcase cover and the bike runs flawlessly now. I haven't had a stutter or miss in 100miles. Not an expensive part either. About 40 bucks on motosport.com. i didn't even buy a new one. My timing inspection cover was seized and I trashed the crankcase cover trying to free it. The used crankcase came with the sensor attached haha!

It should be noted that testing the sensor on the bike requires a peak hold tool and when using a regular voltmeter it is very hard to see any voltage at all. (>.07v is what you're looking for).
954Kevin likes this.

Last edited by speedcrazy1532; 09-02-2017 at 6:42 PM. Reason: Solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 3:16 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
Re: SC50 stutter at 3k and gets REAL upset after 8k rpm

Have you looked at the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Last edited by MrPickwick; 08-15-2017 at 3:43 AM.
post #3 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 3:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Have you looked at the Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel pressure regulator is brand new. Said that in the OP. I've looked at all the basics (fuel spark and air). Also as of this posting I've ordered a new fuel pump motor from quantum fuels so we shall see how that goes.

Again still open to other ideas if anyone has them. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 5:38 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Sorry missed that, did you check the HT ignition coils when you did the spark plugs
post #5 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 7:09 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

Doesn't sound like fuel starvation as it's struggling higher up the rev range, sounds more like an electrical issue, have you checked the stator, battery etc.
post #6 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 1:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry missed that, did you check the HT ignition coils when you did the spark plugs
Yes also tested those. Resistance was in range on all coils. Also tested each coil for spark and all were fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Doesn't sound like fuel starvation as it's struggling higher up the rev range, sounds more like an electrical issue, have you checked the stator, battery etc.
Battery test good after a ride, after sitting, and while running. Stator wires all test at .2ohm and have no continuity or burnt wires etc.
MrPickwick likes this.
post #7 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 4:20 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Hi matey, hope the pump cures it, does it idle ok, it seems like you've tested everything and yet still got the fault, you said you just got the bike ,is the fuel ok, will wait to see how you go on with the new pump
post #8 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 5:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi matey, hope the pump cures it, does it idle ok, it seems like you've tested everything and yet still got the fault, you said you just got the bike ,is the fuel ok, will wait to see how you go on with the new pump
The only other things I haven't full tested are the bank angle sensor and the actual tach cluster.
post #9 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 5:46 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
The only other things I haven't full tested are the bank angle sensor and the actual tach cluster.
Mind you it wouldn't start if it was the bank angle sensor, could be an intermittent short somewhere , but like you said see how the pump goes
post #10 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 5:50 PM Thread Starter

I do get a wired flutter of the tach when coasting down to a stop from speed.
post #11 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 6:08 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Although your not getting any codes have you tried a self test on the DLC, just to see if it kicks up anything
post #12 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 7:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Although your not getting any codes have you tried a self test on the DLC, just to see if it kicks up anything
DLC?

Edit I understand. Pull the codes by jumping the diagnostic connector correct? I will see what happens.

Last edited by speedcrazy1532; 08-15-2017 at 10:37 PM.
post #13 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
DLC?

Edit I understand. Pull the codes by jumping the diagnostic connector correct? I will see what happens.
Yes that's right, just woke up Its 02;30 here in UK
post #14 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 4

It still could be a fuel problem. I had a gsxr 1000 that didn't have the low rpm stumble but acted very similar in the upper rpms. It also struggled to pull past 8000 without surging and missing. I pulled the fuel pump out and took the actual pump out of the housing. I did a "backflush" on the housing and you would not believe the amount of crap that came out of the housing. Also "backflushed" the pump itself. basically I took a hand pump and forced gas backwards through the housing and pump (opposite of the way the gas usually flows) worked perfect. The very first ride the bike ran right up to redline with zero issues. The bike was immaculate as well and well taken care of, but the fuel these days sucks! I would try that for sure, it only cost a little time. I got the hand pump from harbor freight for about $5.
post #15 of 62 Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
DLC?

Yes that's right, just woke up Its 02;30 here in UK
Mornin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb View Post
It still could be a fuel problem. I had a gsxr 1000 that didn't have the low rpm stumble but acted very similar in the upper rpms. It also struggled to pull past 8000 without surging and missing. I pulled the fuel pump out and took the actual pump out of the housing. I did a "backflush" on the housing and you would not believe the amount of crap that came out of the housing. Also "backflushed" the pump itself. basically I took a hand pump and forced gas backwards through the housing and pump (opposite of the way the gas usually flows) worked perfect. The very first ride the bike ran right up to redline with zero issues. The bike was immaculate as well and well taken care of, but the fuel these days sucks! I would try that for sure, it only cost a little time. I got the hand pump from harbor freight for about $5.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Or even if the pump is weak etc. I know dirty fuel systems well I just never thought about it because the pump sounds so strong when priming. That doesn't really mean anything though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page