Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) test guidelines - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By speedcrazy1532

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-25-2017, 1:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 3

Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) test guidelines

Searched but could nothing specific in this forum for Fireblades.

The Haynes manual only outlines a test for the power supply to the TPS. I'm almost positive that there exists a test involving backing out the idle screw and measuring:

voltage at each wire X .0something = range

Anyone have this info handy in one of the other manuals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2017, 2:40 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
Re: Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) test guidelines

Hi matey, you could try this from the Blackbird site, different coloured wire ,but the method is the same, but before you move the TPS put some marks on the bracket for original position just in case ,it's in message number #9
Testing the TPS on a '98 Blackbird...
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2017, 2:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Hi matey, you could try this from the Blackbird site, different coloured wire ,but the method is the same, but before you move the TPS put some marks on the bracket for original position just in case ,it's in message number #9

Testing the TPS on a '98 Blackbird...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2017, 4:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok. So the test listed in the blackbird appears to work on ours which I expected. You need to probe the output voltage wire on the TPS plug which on a 2002 954 is a RED/YELLOW striped wire. The wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual I have seem to have the same color wire for all years 929rr and 954rr.

First step is to turn the idle adjustment knob all the way back so the throttle plates are completely closed.

With ignition on and the sensor plugged in just slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage smoothly climb. The total scale should be .4v at closed to ~5v at wide open. If there are dead spots then you have a problem.

Replacement is possible and there are several models of Honda cars that also use the same TPS. I don't recall which ones off hand but if anyone has input please post it.

The hardest part would be getting the rivets out and tapping it for bolts then setting the sensor correctly so it achieves the .4v to 5v range.
MrPickwick likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
Re: Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) test guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Ok. So the test listed in the blackbird appears to work on ours which I expected. You need to probe the output voltage wire on the TPS plug which on a 2002 954 is a RED/YELLOW striped wire. The wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual I have seem to have the same color wire for all years 929rr and 954rr.

First step is to turn the idle adjustment knob all the way back so the throttle plates are completely closed.

With ignition on and the sensor plugged in just slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage smoothly climb. The total scale should be .4v at closed to ~5v at wide open. If there are dead spots then you have a problem.

Replacement is possible and there are several models of Honda cars that also use the same TPS. I don't recall which ones off hand but if anyone has input please post it.

The hardest part would be getting the rivets out and tapping it for bolts then setting the sensor correctly so it achieves the .4v to 5v range.
This one I found looks really close to the internals of the Fireblade TPS, think the Honda cbr600f4i 2001-06 is the same also, certainly worth a shot at that price, the only problem I can see with it is the plug connector on the neck of the TPS is on the wrong side
For Honda Accord Civic Acura Integra TPS Throttle Position Sensor 16400P06A11 | eBay

Last edited by MrPickwick; 08-27-2017 at 1:01 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page