954 fuel pump wont prime (searched and tested numerous things) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 2 Post By unslow1
  • 3 Post By cbibb
  • 1 Post By jondog9

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-30-2017, 9:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 4

954 fuel pump wont prime (searched and tested numerous things)

Hey guys my bike has been sitting for 6 weeks as I just had a major back surgery. Before it was parked it ran great. I took it all apart as it was going to get painted while recovering. Went out just to start the bike up today and will not start. It will turn over but the fuel pump is not priming. I checked the diode in the ignition and that is still in tact. Battery has been on tender since it has been parked. My tip over (bank) sensor is bypassed and I checked to make sure those wires were still intact, and they are. I can here what I am sure is the fuel pump relay right in front of the battery click when I put the kill switch to "on" Then about 2-3 seconds later it will click again. When I turn the kill switch to "on" all 4 wires in that relay have power. There is also another relay under the right side of the tailsection that will click one time when the kill switch is moved to "on". On that relay 3 of the 4 wires have power when kill switch is "on". When the ignition is on and the kill switch is off both of these relays only have power to one wire. There is no power to the pump at the switch.

I am not that great with electronics and have no idea what to check next. Not real sure how to test relays either. And being out of work indefinitely, don't have any extra cash to start throwing parts at it. I have been searching ALOT to try to figure this out and I am stumped. I read that you can swap the headlight relay for the fuel pump relay but I don't know where the headlight relay is??

Am I correct that the fuel pump relay is the one in front of the battery? I tried to download the manual but I am on satellite internet (out in the country) and it is very slow sometimes. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: 954 fuel pump wont prime (searched and tested numerous things)

954s have 4 identical relays; fan relay, hi/lo relay, engine stop relay (all 3 located on the brake side of the subframe), and the starter relay (that's located under the seat). They're all interchangeable so you can test them.

Check your sidestand and neutral safety switch as well. Maybe the clutch "switch" isn't connected
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170830_210846.jpg‎  

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 13 Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips bro, how you been? Just went out and swapped the headlight relay with the fuel pump relay and its doing the same thing. Clicks when kill switch "on", then 2-3 seconds later clicks again. Does the same thing with two different relays. I am going to try to jump the kickstand switch and clutch switch tomorrow and post back what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I don't think it has anything at all to do with it, but the only "change" that was made while the bike has been parked, is that I did the exhaust valve wiring to get rid of the code 35 and fi light. I unplugged what I did and it made no difference at all. Don't think it has anything to do with my issue but wanted to mention it
post #5 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 7:00 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb View Post
Thanks for the tips bro, how you been? Just went out and swapped the headlight relay with the fuel pump relay and its doing the same thing. Clicks when kill switch "on", then 2-3 seconds later clicks again. Does the same thing with two different relays. I am going to try to jump the kickstand switch and clutch switch tomorrow and post back what happens.
Have you tried the swap with the Engine Stop Relay
post #6 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Yes I did and made no difference. I am about to lose my mind with this thing. I have no idea what to try next. I guess I will have to take the airbox off and see if I have spark. maybe that will help you guys point me in the right direction. Thanks for the help thus far. I don't think it would be the sidestand or clutch. If I am not mistaken the bike would not even turn over if those were the problem. Am I correct in saying that?
post #7 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 1:18 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Hi ,just before doing that have you checked all fuses especially the 20amp fuel circuit
post #8 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 1:29 PM Thread Starter

Yes i have checked all the fuses in the fuse box. Also the main fuse and the 20 amp in line fuse on the positive side right before the battery and all are good. I am lost. I also checked the sidestand and clutch switch and thet both seem to be working as they should. I think i am going to have to pull the airbox and check for spark. I have no idea what else to do
post #9 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 1:34 PM Thread Starter

I also checked power to the fuel pump plug. There is power going to the middle wire on the plug with the ignition on. It has power weather the kill switch is on or off. The other two wires have nothing with kill switch on or off. I know one has to be ground though.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 1:36 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Hi,while your going to check for spark , test your fuel pump as your going to take off the tank anyway
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Pump.PNG‎  
post #11 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 2:23 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

I'd check the ground wire at the bottom of the tank might be loose
jondog9 and MrPickwick like this.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #12 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 2:59 PM Thread Starter

LOL thanks again for the help bro!!! So that's what it was guys. When I checked the pump to see if it was working, it would not come on with 12v applied. I noticed the green ground wire on the bottom of the pump was a little loose, so I cleaned it up and pump kicked on and bike fired right up!!! When I went to put the connector back on the pump it broke in half. So the connector was on its way out. Guess I can count it as a blessing that this happened at home rather than out on the bike somewhere. At least I got to check on a bunch of different things to make sure they were all in working order! Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated. I wanted to post what the solution was to hopefully help someone in the future that may have this issue. Gives them one more thing to check if they are having this problem. This forum is awesome!
post #13 of 13 Old 08-31-2017, 3:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
I'd check the ground wire at the bottom of the tank might be loose
I heard of a guy who discovered faulty connection in the connector points where the wires go through the fuel pump flange.
I don't have his pics, but here's a couple of mine to show where I'm talking about. You can also see the ground that Unslow mentioned. Got these a couple years ago when I changed the fuel filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Pump 7.jpeg‎   Fuel Pump 5.jpeg‎  
unslow1 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page