Lack of power - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jondog9

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2017, 4:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Lack of power

Hello All,

So I got a pretty good deal on a 2000 Honda CBR929rr for 800 bucks. The motor and trans are really strong, but it is lacking a lot of power and feels like it is going to bog out on me in mid range RPM's. Even when trying to get the bike to crawl in first gear it requires me to just lay on the throttle. I don't think that the fuel pressure regulator is actually creating a vacuum so there is a new one on the way to be put in to see if that helps. I have noticed that the HTEV and Servo motor have been cut out completely from the bike. On top of it someone has completely removed the flapper in the air box as well. I was completely willing to put all that back in after finding the parts, but finding those parts are almost impossible considering the bike is 17 years old. The servo is completely gone and someone has hard wired those resistors and capacitors into the plug like it shows on this site and the CEL still comes on for a code 34.

Note: Spark plugs have been changed and are new and problem still exists.

So now, my questions are:

If the servo and HTEV have been completely gutted from the bike how much of my problem is being created by that or is it just needing tuning at this point?

Where else should I look for the root cause of the problem of it just bogging down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 2:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: Lack of power

Update:

So I had to replace the wiring harness completely because it was an absolute rats nest. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced with a new one. Is anyone familiar with what that black canister is that sits below the fuel pump on the frame?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 2:40 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKneeDropper View Post
Update:

So I had to replace the wiring harness completely because it was an absolute rats nest. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced with a new one. Is anyone familiar with what that black canister is that sits below the fuel pump on the frame?
That could be your EVAP system canister (California)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

And if it is the evap, it can be safely removed. Not legal, but I did it because it was such a pain in the ass to change oil in my RC51 with that goddamm thing there.

Were your old plugs wet when you pulled them?
FPR will probably solve your problem. Inspect that vac line from the fpr to the throttlebodies, a small leak in it will give you some trouble too.

Last edited by jondog9; 09-12-2017 at 11:20 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2017, 2:59 AM Thread Starter

Was thinking the same thing as far as a vacuum leak within that? Do you know how they hook up or have a picture that shows me how it does? I at least want to plug the vacuum lines if I have to by pass it.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2017, 5:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I don't think you can bypass it. It's vacuum coming from the throttle bodies, I guess that works with the diaphragm inside the fpr.
On my bike, it's a single hose off the fpr that tee's into the two throttlebodies. That's why the bike runs like it's flooding when the fpr is bad. Excess and unmetered fuel entering along with the injected fuel.
NicksCBR likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-03-2018, 2:55 PM Thread Starter

Found the solution. Sorry for the late reply, but it was the little butterfly piece missing in the exhaust. Without it causes way to much back pressure. Put a new one on from Fleabay and had no issues with the bike. Sadly it has been sold since then.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page