929 goes in for APE tensioner, potential valve adjust - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 09-15-2017, 2:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
929 goes in for APE tensioner, potential valve adjust

Hey all,

Sorry no post in a while but after removing my tank RL took a dump and I've been 60+ a week forever. So on my fine 19k mile '01 black/yellow example one of the POs installed a full Ti exhaust w/ a Vince. Sounds lovely but of course is boggier than my Triumph Tiger in the mids making bike a dog in third. Additionally as I believe I posted it has a fairly regular tick off idle which is most likely a sacked cam chain tensioner. So I've ponied up for a PCV with a zero tune and the CCT to be installed. Guy quoted 325.00 US Dollars for both, no tune as no Dyno.

My question to those that have been before is this: how many hours additional would/should a valve adjust and shim job be? I've got the valve cover gasket already in anticipation and I figure at 19k it's way overdue so since we have an appointment with Portland International Raceway in the Spring and the fellow has the tank and stuff off anyway it's damned cheap insurance by my way of thinking. The way Honda has the "package" on this bike must have technicians rolling. The main upper frame spar passes within a couple of millimeters of the damned tensioner requiring moving Heaven and Earth to service. I've heard you can torch a wrench/spanner into a twisty shape to fit in there but I have neither time, training nor inclination to do so.

So I figure if we split the difference since the tank is off already we would still add up to close to 500.00 or so, but how many hours are involved in the job from point of tank removal? My Tiger just cost me about 250.00 just for the labor and three little gaskets for the same service but I had the rest of the service kit. And that was at the factory dealership where nothing comes off the bill. But this shop for the Fireblade is independent and I hope I can work with the guy because at a hundred plus on the track is NOT the time to find out.

But it goes into shop tomorrow night and it'll be at least two weeks until he can get to it. So a bit of time to consider what's to be done exactly before it's our turn in the bay and I'm looking forward to any suggestions from folks here as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page