929 weird start - need advise - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jondog9
  • 1 Post By jondog9

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 3:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

929 weird start - need advise

Hey fellas,
I just put a motor in a 929 I got from a buddy that sat for a long time but had around 12000 miles on it. From cold first thing it starts after about 30 seconds of trying to crank. It runs on 3 cylinders (i know because one of the headers does not get hot by touch) for about 30 seconds then it backfires and 4th cylinder immediately starts firing. From then on the bike runs freakin awesome for the rest of the day as long as its warm. The next morning same thing over again. I have all new plugs in it and no codes popping up. Whats going on with that 1 cylinder to not fire off upon start up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 4:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 199

Re: 929 weird start - need advise

Pull that plug before she backfires. Is it wet or dry? Coil or injector?
Compression test?
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 4:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Pull that plug before she backfires. Is it wet or dry? Coil or injector?
Compression test?
Thanks jondog. Good thought and I haven't pulled that new plug but I would rule out the injector because the throttle bodies came directly off a great running bike. If it was the coil then it would be speratic off and on while riding and I would notice a power, sound, or run difference. It currently runs great and starts right up unless sitting over night or a couple days. Can't be timing either as it runs like a champ once it warms and that 4th cylinder pops off. What about valve stick? When it gets into internals it gets above my pay grade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3voltn1 View Post
Thanks jondog. Good thought and I haven't pulled that new plug but I would rule out the injector because the throttle bodies came directly off a great running bike. If it was the coil then it would be speratic off and on while riding and I would notice a power, sound, or run difference. It currently runs great and starts right up unless sitting over night or a couple days. Can't be timing either as it runs like a champ once it warms and that 4th cylinder pops off. What about valve stick? When it gets into internals it gets above my pay grade.
About the only thing that makes sense. Plug inspection and compression test might reveal more. I'd probably do a spark test on that cold cylinder too just to satisfy my curiosity.
But like you said, engine internals are above my pay grade too. I can do valve clearance checks, clutch replacements, stator, etc., and all topical stuff, but not strong when it comes to the inside of the engine.

Well, going full circle here, I wonder what kind of valve clearances you have when the engine is completely cold?
IanDoohan likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 5:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
About the only thing that makes sense. Plug inspection and compression test might reveal more. I'd probably do a spark test on that cold cylinder too just to satisfy my curiosity.
But like you said, engine internals are above my pay grade too. I can do valve clearance checks, clutch replacements, stator, etc., and all topical stuff, but not strong when it comes to the inside of the engine.

Well, going full circle here, I wonder what kind of valve clearances you have when the engine is completely cold?
Agree on the spark test. Sounds like we are both on the same playing field...except I haven't ever had to do valve clearance checks. I'll see if anyone else pipes up for me before pulling tank etc...all over again. Thanks much for your insight bro!
post #6 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 5:56 PM

I like to use an actual spark tester rather than just grounding the spark plug. You can see how far the spark will throw and what color it is. So much easier than using a plug.
If you can swap engines, you can do valve clearance checks and adjustments. Download a free copy of the Honda service manual and have at it!
Good luck, hope it's an easy fix.
unslow1 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2017, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Did you already try swapping the coil/wire on that 4th cylinder to one of the other cyls to see if the problem followed the coil/wire at all ?

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #8 of 8 Old 09-20-2017, 7:25 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3voltn1 View Post
My RR2 does the exact same thing... and I know it's way overdue for valve adjustment. My money is on a valve issue.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page