Oil on right swingarm, new member - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 5 Post By fj1200rj
  • 1 Post By hondawingchun

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 4:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Oil on right swingarm, new member

Hi everyone, new to the fireblade family. I purchased a 954 recently, original owner and always garaged, with 9300 miles, all stock besides screen turn signals fender delete and grips. Runs like new. Here are some pics. I bought it on Friday and havent ridden since, I noticed a couple small drops of oil on the end of the right swingarm, as well as a bit on the caliper, and a drop on the underside of the muffler. Oil level is good, I cleaned it off and will let the bike idle later to see if I can find anything, but maybe some of you have seen the same thing and can give me quick advice. Thanks and glad to be a member. -Mike
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3926.JPG‎   IMG_3924.JPG‎   IMG_3925.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 4:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: Oil on right swingarm, new member

Leaky seal in brake caliper. Or leaky brake hose.
I think your axle block is in upside down. The adjuster bolt should shoulder up to the fat part of the block, not the narrow part. If I'm seeing the first picture right...
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Leaky seal in brake caliper. Or leaky brake hose.
I think your axle block is in upside down. The adjuster bolt should shoulder up to the fat part of the block, not the narrow part. If I'm seeing the first picture right...
the block is is the same on both ends, the slot tapers towards the rear. its good.

hard saying where the oil came from. but it might be worth your time to look around on the engine, check hoses, oil filter etc for any signs of oil leaking.

prob not, but worth mentioning that K&N has a current recall on certain filter, specifically the model that fits the 954. they were leaking from the welded on nut at the top. like i said most likely not the culprit but worth mentioning.

welcome to the site and the wonderful world of 954 ownership!!!

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 09-17-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 4:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to be winterizing it so ill do some investigating.

Glad to be here Kevin!
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 9:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Thanks Kevin, I see what you're talking about now. I learn something everyday!
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply as well jondog, I look forward to getting to know the bike and hopefully have a long successful relationship with it!!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 4:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondawingchun View Post
Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to be winterizing it so ill do some investigating.

Glad to be here Kevin!
Mike, nice bike, sorry you bought the red one, they're the slowest . Could be the muffler bearings leaking, they're real problem on Honda's. Oh wait, that's the reg./rectifiers and stators, never mind! You should be able to tell if it's brake fluid or oil, they feel very different between your fingers. If you wipe it down does it come back? That's a long way for a small leak to travel if it's engine oil, there would be a streak. Like mentioned above, check out the caliper and banjo fitting, either one is an easy fix. Winterizing? In SoCal? That's the beauty of living here, NOT having to winterize stuff 'cuz you can ride year round! I don't even winterize my RV, just drain the fresh water so it doesn't freeze (I live in the high desert do for a couple months out of the year the nighttime temps often drop below freezing). Anyway, welcome again. Where are you located in SoCal BTW? The palms in your planter say you need to be riding not winterizing, that's for all the other guys on here.

BTW, since it hasn't been ridden much, you may want to check the rubber date on those tires. They may look great and still be hard as a rock when it comes to grip.
unslow1, Gunk, chuckhunter and 2 others like this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 09-19-2017 at 5:00 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-20-2017, 8:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Mike, nice bike, sorry you bought the red one, they're the slowest . Could be the muffler bearings leaking, they're real problem on Honda's. Oh wait, that's the reg./rectifiers and stators, never mind! You should be able to tell if it's brake fluid or oil, they feel very different between your fingers. If you wipe it down does it come back? That's a long way for a small leak to travel if it's engine oil, there would be a streak. Like mentioned above, check out the caliper and banjo fitting, either one is an easy fix. Winterizing? In SoCal? That's the beauty of living here, NOT having to winterize stuff 'cuz you can ride year round! I don't even winterize my RV, just drain the fresh water so it doesn't freeze (I live in the high desert do for a couple months out of the year the nighttime temps often drop below freezing). Anyway, welcome again. Where are you located in SoCal BTW? The palms in your planter say you need to be riding not winterizing, that's for all the other guys on here.

BTW, since it hasn't been ridden much, you may want to check the rubber date on those tires. They may look great and still be hard as a rock when it comes to grip.
I am rehabbing from ACL reconstruction and a meniscectomy, I am 12 weeks out of surgery and need another 24 weeks! I feel good enough to ride but I am gonna tuck her in, and focus on a full recovery. Trust me it's not easy, the winterizing part that is...lol

Good eye, even though I took those pics with the old 4mp flip phone, the tires were purchased a couple months ago, Bridgestone Battlax. I live in Corona, and I agree with you on the color. Im going to try and give it an OEM color mash up like this, excuse my bad editing skills...
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR954  6.jpg‎  
NicksCBR likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page