Worth reviving a 1993 Honda CBR900RR that's been sitting for four years? - Page 14 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 204 Old 08-21-2019, 5:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 3

Re: Worth reviving a 1993 Honda CBR900RR that's been sitting for four years?

I'll probably buy some fuel adjustment screws. The current screws are destroyed. Adjusting them is *very* difficult (near impossible?).

If I can get something like a set of 4 of these for cheap, that'd be amazing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Easy-Adjust...sAAOSwTUVZsOeo

Throttle broke recently in some weird way. Not sure what happened. Can turn towards myself and it'll retract. (to accelerate) But then it can freely spin about 1/4-1/2 turn away from me after the 0-position. So... not good. Not end of world but pretty annoying.

Choke and choke cable are also acting up. Almost impossible to get the choke going.

After I get the bike nearly fully perfect - I think I'm going to sell it. I'm about to sell my other motorcycle. Once that's sold, I can see myself selling this one too. I'll very likely pull some of the aftermarket parts off and sell them here (or elsewhere) since they're pretty expensive and OEM will be cheaper. (And more desired by the general audience)

I'm just ready for something that's a bit lower maintenance right now. I enjoy the motorcycle but after this journey and doing it all on the street or my patio - I can't take it much longer. With travel, my SO, my stressful job, and many other things taking up my time... I can't realistically do this stuff so often w/o a garage.
IanDoohan and nigelrb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 204 Old 08-22-2019, 11:12 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
I'll probably buy some fuel adjustment screws. The current screws are destroyed. Adjusting them is *very* difficult (near impossible?).

If I can get something like a set of 4 of these for cheap, that'd be amazing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Easy-Adjust...sAAOSwTUVZsOeo

Throttle broke recently in some weird way. Not sure what happened. Can turn towards myself and it'll retract. (to accelerate) But then it can freely spin about 1/4-1/2 turn away from me after the 0-position. So... not good. Not end of world but pretty annoying.

Choke and choke cable are also acting up. Almost impossible to get the choke going.

After I get the bike nearly fully perfect - I think I'm going to sell it. I'm about to sell my other motorcycle. Once that's sold, I can see myself selling this one too. I'll very likely pull some of the aftermarket parts off and sell them here (or elsewhere) since they're pretty expensive and OEM will be cheaper. (And more desired by the general audience)

I'm just ready for something that's a bit lower maintenance right now. I enjoy the motorcycle but after this journey and doing it all on the street or my patio - I can't take it much longer. With travel, my SO, my stressful job, and many other things taking up my time... I can't realistically do this stuff so often w/o a garage.
I will take first pick of the rearsets on the 900 if you decide to sell.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #198 of 204 Old 09-04-2019, 9:15 PM Thread Starter

Been riding the bike for commuting. Decided to rail in first gear just for the sake of it while on an onramp and then decelerate at the meter. Smack into redline (a bit aggressively, didn't intend to) and I experience what feels abnormal for the first time: it felt like something slipped aggressively that wasn't supposed to. Like the chain skipped. And then, after that, the bike starts sounding funny after 4-5k rpm. And not like ha-ha funny but like oh-no-this-is-not-a-happy-sound funny. Weird metal ticking/clacking type of sound. It just gets louder and more aggressive as I rise the rpm. I didn't go past 4-5k rpm much after that. I could cruise on the freeway or decelerate from 6k+ (downshifting) and there'd be no sound but when I apply throttle it just clacks weird.

Maybe I'll add a video with some sound. I suspect maybe engine knocking and a spark plug gave up? But it sounds pretty normal below 4-5k.
IanDoohan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #199 of 204 Old 09-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Garage

Quote:
Been riding the bike for commuting. Decided to rail in first gear just for the sake of it while on an onramp and then decelerate at the meter. Smack into redline (a bit aggressively, didn't intend to) and I experience what feels abnormal for the first time: it felt like something slipped aggressively that wasn't supposed to. Like the chain skipped. And then, after that, the bike starts sounding funny after 4-5k rpm. And not like ha-ha funny but like oh-no-this-is-not-a-happy-sound funny. Weird metal ticking/clacking type of sound. It just gets louder and more aggressive as I rise the rpm. I didn't go past 4-5k rpm much after that. I could cruise on the freeway or decelerate from 6k+ (downshifting) and there'd be no sound but when I apply throttle it just clacks weird.

Maybe I'll add a video with some sound. I suspect maybe engine knocking and a spark plug gave up? But it sounds pretty normal below 4-5k.
A video would be great with sound. I would say if it’s more pronounced at the front right side of the engine it would be the cam chain tensioner (CCT). They fail over time. Check your drive chain and sprockets for wear and signs of worn teeth etc. depending on the state of the header, it could also be an exhaust leak. Get the camera phone going and get some good video with the middle and lower fairings off.

Worst case scenario would be that you spun a crank or rod bearing. Let’s hopefully not go there.

post #200 of 204 Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Added a couple sound clips. It's the tack-tack-tack-tack sound that kind of sounds like clacking two bits of metal together. (Sounds similar to lifter tick/tap)

In the second clip, I rev the bike a bit higher (maybe 10k) and then decel and it just shakes and makes a weird turbo-whistle sounding noise. That was a slightly new noise/experience.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 first example.mp3‎ (674.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: mp3 second ex.mp3‎ (484.9 KB, 7 views)
post #201 of 204 Old 09-06-2019, 6:16 PM

Garage

Quote:
Added a couple sound clips. It's the tack-tack-tack-tack sound that kind of sounds like clacking two bits of metal together. (Sounds similar to lifter tick/tap)

In the second clip, I rev the bike a bit higher (maybe 10k) and then decel and it just shakes and makes a weird turbo-whistle sounding noise. That was a slightly new noise/experience.
I want to see pictures of your wheels, tires, chain and sprockets.

Then put it up on stands somehow (or at least a rear end stand) and take a video of it while idling in gear.

post #202 of 204 Old 09-14-2019, 7:46 PM Thread Starter

Been busy with stuff - haven't been out on the bike since. However, I washed it and was trying to see what was wrong with the throttle. One of the throttle cables had broken off. I figured that'd happened. Sadly, in the process I accidentally snapped the other. So---, yeah, gonna have to replace both of those. >_< I can't even find one of them on one of the parts websites I use.

I was also trying to replace the grips and whoever put the last ones on basically ultra-mega-glued them on. No way to remove them completely. Tried a heat gun and razors and everything. It's completely bonded. It'd take a couple hours to remove all the crap just from one. So - I'm gonna see if I can get new tubes while I'm searching for parts.

EDIT: Yeah - a lot of trouble to find these cables. I'm probably going to make my own. Still having trouble finding plastic tube for the non-throttle side. MotionPro sells a generic one for the throttle but don't see the clutch side.
EDIT2: Find it weird that this bike has a sleeve for the clutch grip. I'm not seeing that for many other bikes and in the diagrams for this bike. Not sure why they did that other than ease of slipping on and off grippy/non-grippy grips.
IanDoohan likes this.

Last edited by TridenTBoy; 09-14-2019 at 8:21 PM.
post #203 of 204 Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

I dunno if you're on the wrong side of the pond but there's plenty of the cable b available in the us
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/17920-MW0-000
Cable a is a bit harder and might gotta go in eBay but there's this.
https://www.cyclesrus.net/cart.php?s...4-aa2c9cb036c3

Also, I've found sticking the bars in the freezer then giving them a hard twist breaks most glues. If they used a 2 part, good luck.
I've got a spare set of clipons you're welcome to but they've got the red aluminum clip with a polished / chrome bar.
post #204 of 204 Old 09-15-2019, 3:49 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage

My tip for grips which I’ve using on mountain bikes for years is to use hairspray. It gives enough lubricant to slide them on and just enough stickiness when dry to hold them in place, but a squirt of WD40 between the bar and grip will release them.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page