Worth reviving a 1993 Honda CBR900RR that's been sitting for four years? - Page 3 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 204 Old 03-10-2018, 6:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 3

Re: Worth reviving a 1993 Honda CBR900RR that's been sitting for four years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
I should have clarified. Yes, you have to go to a Honda Morotcyxle dealer. The auto dealers are just mainly component changers.

The cycle shop should have the means to buy the key blanks and make it happen. That’s the only way to get a key to fit what you have.

Or just ruin everything and get a Chinese replacement of everything.
I decided the ruin everything and a replacement method. It's only $29 for replacement parts anyway. I don't think the key would be any less. Probably more.

It's amazing how difficult this is being.
unslow1 and IanDoohan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 204 Old 03-10-2018, 7:14 PM Thread Starter

Got it finally. Took a pretty large drill bit to get it and at an angle to finally get it to release.

A lot of metal shavings got inside, unfortunate. However, the inside looks absolutely perfect. I didn't see a single bit of rust and I did check as many angles as I could and put my gopro in to get a better angle. I should use a mirror on a stick to really check but I'm convinced it's fine... In some ways, I'm not surprised. The previous owner clearly liked this bike for track daying and what not. I'd guess they might have done a treatment to the inside. It's 100% grey inside, which is unusual for a coating IMO. Most coatings seem to be some kind of bright color to make it clear that you've applied a coating.

But, hey, I'm not complaining. Only complaint I have is that I can't drain the thing completely because there are some things inside the tank that won't let stuff out. There's some orange filter thing that is stuck inside for the main fuel outlet. I'd like to remove it and put a new one in (the current one is slightly damaged from what I can tell). Not sure if that's a replaceable part or not but it's definitely stopping stuff from draining from what I gather.

You don't buy a $200 battery for a POS bike.
post #33 of 204 Old 03-10-2018, 7:21 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
I decided the ruin everything and a replacement method. It's only $29 for replacement parts anyway. I don't think the key would be any less. Probably more.

It's amazing how difficult this is being.
I know what you mean, I ended up having to do the same for that tank I showed you earlier. The cap was still on it, so I drilled it and it still didn’t come off. I ended up prying the thing out and bent the lip that the rubber part of the cap seals on. I “hammered” on it and got it back to about the position it was in. I got a Chinese non locking cap for the track.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 204 Old 03-10-2018, 7:33 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions on a battery? Am I going to have to get a battery charger as well because it seems the lead batteries don't come charged...
post #35 of 204 Old 03-10-2018, 7:35 PM

Garage

The long orange thing is the fuel strainer. It’s supposed to be attached to the petcock, but ya very common for them to get stuck in the tank. Get a new one, and ruin that one too to get it out.

post #36 of 204 Old 03-10-2018, 8:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The long orange thing is the fuel strainer. It’s supposed to be attached to the petcock, but ya very common for them to get stuck in the tank. Get a new one, and ruin that one too to get it out.
Suggestions on where to get these parts? https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...torcycle/parts is what I've been looking at but I don't know if maybe there's a better option.

Honda parts house doesn't have the filter in stock.

Also, how the heck would you get it out? Barely any of it is exposed for me. It'll tear apart before it'll come out.
post #37 of 204 Old 03-10-2018, 8:49 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
Suggestions on where to get these parts? https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...torcycle/parts is what I've been looking at but I don't know if maybe there's a better option.

Honda parts house doesn't have the filter in stock.

Also, how the heck would you get it out? Barely any of it is exposed for me. It'll tear apart before it'll come out.
I use Partzilla.com for all my OEM stuff, but it is possible it’s not available anymore. I think some guys here have had success with the Chinese version of the entire fuel valve, which you might have to buy in order to get it.

It is a pain, the only way to get it out is to implode it and ruin it. It’s really flimsy. I’ve ruined the ones I had to get out no matter how hard I tried not to.

post #38 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I use Partzilla.com for all my OEM stuff, but it is possible it’s not available anymore. I think some guys here have had success with the Chinese version of the entire fuel valve, which you might have to buy in order to get it.

It is a pain, the only way to get it out is to implode it and ruin it. It’s really flimsy. I’ve ruined the ones I had to get out no matter how hard I tried not to.
The assembly looks to be about $55. Not exactly cheap beans all for one small plastic part... Should I even bother?
post #39 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 12:34 AM

Garage

Tough call. The original one will probably leak when you put fuel through it, so it could come in handy, but you might get away with just putting the original one back in.

If it were mine though, I would have a new set up. As I did for both of mine. But like I said before, im crazy and don’t always make the “cheapest” decisions lol.
MrPickwick likes this.

post #40 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 1:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Tough call. The original one will probably leak when you put fuel through it, so it could come in handy, but you might get away with just putting the original one back in.

If it were mine though, I would have a new set up. As I did for both of mine. But like I said before, im crazy and don’t always make the “cheapest” decisions lol.
I don't think it was leaking when I was moving it around but maybe it was too low on fuel for me to tell. There was quite a bit that came out though.

Maybe I'll see if it starts leaking with the old one and if it does then I'll get a new one.

For now, I haven't gotten the thing to start yet (no battery). So, I'll wait around.
post #41 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 8:07 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

I’ll suggest you do a thorough estimate of parts that you might need to replace and time investment before proceeding any further. Projects like this aren’t for the front of heart and I get the impression you’d be better served with a newer bike.
MrPickwick likes this.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #42 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 8:52 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage

I’ve just bought a genuine CBR600 petcock assembly from Everett Powersports in the USA, they’re on eBay and seem to stock a lot of OEM stuff for our era of bikes. Price, even including a customs charge was much cheaper than here in the U.K.
IanDoohan and MrPickwick like this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
post #43 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 3:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
I’ll suggest you do a thorough estimate of parts that you might need to replace and time investment before proceeding any further. Projects like this aren’t for the front of heart and I get the impression you’d be better served with a newer bike.
I'm not really too worried. Regardless of the bike I got, it was most likely that I'd be doing about 80% of the things I will be doing. I like starting mostly new with any car/bike purchase (in terms of maintenance schedule). I can't really trust the maintenance schedule of the previous person.

The only thing that would be off putting is if the engine or transmission was completely toast. At that point, I don't think I could do much with the bike because some of those parts aren't available OR they're ridiculously expensive. ($750 for a new crankshaft - ow) I mean, if I need a new crankshaft or pistons or something major besides new rings then the whole engine would require blueprinting and then finding out the entire thing is either toast or would require $1000+ in machining *plus* all new parts - and I have to pray after machining I can even use any of the OEM parts. Not worth it - for me. That's the scenario where either I get really gung-ho about this bike and try to buy a used engine (eh) or just part it out instead. I haven't registered the bike yet so I'm not in the hole much financially.

Right now, I'm mostly just trying to get it running AND if it doesn't run then I want to make sure I can part out the bike. In this case, the fuel tank is in what appears to be wonderful condition (internally at least!) and if I was to sell it to someone, I should remove the fuel cap anyway. And since I wanted new keys for every lock, I decided to buy the kit. I could've waited on that and just tried to hotwire the thing but I'm impatient and it's only $29. It'll probably arrive around the same time the battery does. Replacing the ignition seems easier than trying to hotwire and potentially messing up. So, it's done.

I'm not too worried abut this overall. I knew going in that it had potential to be a very intense project *or* that I'd have to part out the bike. Either is fine with me. Learning experience either way.

For reference, I had read this: https://jalopnik.com/im-going-to-ove...ith-1819709178 and then https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-w...br9-1819487774 . And that was with a quite pristine bike in most terms. My expectations were pretty low going in. I mean, the fuel tank is already *way* better than I expected. The oil didn't look black - and it makes sense the guy was probably religious about that with tracking the bike.

I'll be doing some more inspection today and trying to remove all the fairings.

Fun fact: Never knew that gun-ho (that's how I've always heard it and interpreted it as a gun/trigger-happy kind of thing) is actually gung-ho and is Chinese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gung-ho
IanDoohan likes this.
post #44 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 3:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I’ve just bought a genuine CBR600 petcock assembly from Everett Powersports in the USA, they’re on eBay and seem to stock a lot of OEM stuff for our era of bikes. Price, even including a customs charge was much cheaper than here in the U.K.
I didn't see much for '93 cbr900rr'. Great deals from Everett Powersports PARTS IN STOCK | eBay stores

I'll probably buy off ebay if I have to. My question is: Is the fuel strainer going to be necessary if I have a fuel filter? From looking at the fuel lines, it doesn't seem like there is an inline fuel filter but maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Yet, there are these parts online for a fuel filter.
post #45 of 204 Old 03-11-2018, 3:38 PM Thread Starter

A tip from somebody who has put a lot of little metal shavings into their fuel tank and can't get all the distilled water out even with a lot of shaking. Stuff a couple old t-shirts inside. Shake it up a lot. Use *very long* pliers to get them out if you have to. Alternatively, put only one in at a time but leaving a little bit out so that you can hold onto it.

That won't get all the metal shavings out, just most of the water+gasoline+whatever mixture.

Next up, use old microfiber towels that you don't want anymore (I use to have more of these but couldn't find a good use until now). Stuff those inside, shake whole fuel tank vigorously. I mean, very vigorously, you're trying to make the stuff stick to the microfiber. You'll hear the metal go from moving around inside to suddenly silent. Pull microfiber out after a minute or two of shaking. Should be covered in metal shavings. Microfiber is a *very* grippy material. It'll grab up those large and small metal shavings and just keep them locked in. Pull the shavings off of the towels after retrieving them. Repeat until you feel it's clean enough inside.

That's what I did and it was very effective. Maybe just spraying the inside with *a lot* of water from the hose really does the trick but I didn't feel like potentially causing rust inside the tank or trying to get even more water out of the thing.
unslow1 and IanDoohan like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page