07 CBR1000rr clutch problem. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-14-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

07 CBR1000rr clutch problem.

Basically, my clutch isn't fully disengaging when I pull in the clutch lever. This just started after I changed the chain and sprockets (which required the removal of the slave cylinder). However, no fluid leaked out when I had to remove the slave cylinder. I have bled the slave cylinder three times and tried riding my bike around the block a few times, with the hope that an air bubble would work its way up if there was one in the system somewhere. Now I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. If I can't figure it out tonight, I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow.

At the normal position (that the lever used to be at), it immediately stalls when I try to shift into first. When I adjust the lever all the way out, I am able to partially disengage the clutch when pulling the lever. However, when pulling the clutch lever in, my bike still wants to move very quickly unless I'm holding the brake.

Anyone had a similar problem? Did lots of searching and couldn't find out what the problem was.

As stated in the title, my bike is an 07 CBR1000rr

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: 07 CBR1000rr clutch problem.

Just removing the slave cylinder should have no effect on the clutch, unless of course a spacer is missing, or the rod isn't properly engaging the piston. My uneducated guess is that a spacer of some kind dropped out either in between the slave cylinder itself and the engine case, or a washer/spacer that engages the rod fell out. The system is closed, so unless you removed the banjo bolt from the slave itself, or grabbed a handful of lever while it was off the engine case, there should be no need to bleed it.

Post some pictures of what the area looks like with and without the slave attached.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 7 Old 03-15-2018, 2:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Just removing the slave cylinder should have no effect on the clutch, unless of course a spacer is missing, or the rod isn't properly engaging the piston. My uneducated guess is that a spacer of some kind dropped out either in between the slave cylinder itself and the engine case, or a washer/spacer that engages the rod fell out. The system is closed, so unless you removed the banjo bolt from the slave itself, or grabbed a handful of lever while it was off the engine case, there should be no need to bleed it.

Post some pictures of what the area looks like with and without the slave attached.
I just dropped it off at a dealership. The tech pulled up an exploded view of the system and showed it to me. I didn't see any pieces that I didn't reinstall. I did move my bike while the slave cylinder was hanging loose, so there is a strong possibility that I pulled the clutch lever while pushing the bike. Just force of habit. If this is the case, what problem did it cause and how do I fix it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-15-2018, 3:17 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adulbrich View Post
I just dropped it off at a dealership. The tech pulled up an exploded view of the system and showed it to me. I didn't see any pieces that I didn't reinstall. I did move my bike while the slave cylinder was hanging loose, so there is a strong possibility that I pulled the clutch lever while pushing the bike. Just force of habit. If this is the case, what problem did it cause and how do I fix it? Thanks
The only thing I can think of quickly is if the piston popped out of the seal, but you would know that with all the leaking fluid lol, so I suppose it’s not that. But you never know. So it’s at the shop right now?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2018, 8:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it wasn't leaking any fluid. It's at the shop now, so we'll see what they say. Thanks for the help though
post #6 of 7 Old 03-23-2018, 7:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

I’ve read plenty horror stories and I suspect it’s why a Honda went back to cable actuated clutches because of issues during reinstall. Seems there is a secret bleed procedure that involves clucking like a duck between fluid fills.

IIRC there is a gasket on the slave. The piston should also get some silicone grease before reinstall. I sweat bullets before getting mine back together.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #7 of 7 Old 03-24-2018, 9:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Assuming your bike has a banjo fitting at the clutch master, did you try bleeding there?
If that's not it, I'm guessing remove the slave housing and look inside. Like IanDoohan said, if you might have squeezed the clutch handle in while the slave housing was off, ...
I've run into the same problem with my bike, RC51. In my case, I had the clutch rod misaligned somehow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page